“A real find”
Review of Guy Fawkes Inn

Guy Fawkes Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Guy Fawkes Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 945 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$22 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Lit by candlelight and gas-lamps, with timber floors and roaring fires, our restaurant is a place to withdraw from the world and relax. We serve simple, unpretentious pub food that is skilfully prepared to allow the quality of the fresh local produce to speak for itself.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was a last minute decision with our children before heading out in a ghost walk. The meal was really good quality, the hake was yummy as was my husband's belly pork dish and my two young children shared the fish and chips which too was really good quality.

We sat outside due to us having the children, wasn't very big or aesthetic, but was adequate. Staff were really attentive too, which was good. The inside looked really cosy, which unfortunately we did not have time to check out.

The ales were really good local ones too, which is always a bonus? We will definitely be revisiting this place.

Aggi L, Assistant Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed our food and are looking forward to returning. Hopefully next time you will come and enjoy the food in our cosy candle lit restaurant for an even more special dining experience!
Thank you again and see you soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The Guy Fawkes inn is in the heart of the city in right next to York Minster. Its more of a restaurant than a pub and is named after Guy Fawkes, the infamous gunpowder plot conspirator who tried to blow up the houses of parliament (and he wasn't even Scottish).

Its very dark inside (authentic) with lots of candles, the food was very nice indeed. I had the hake and it was fantastic. My wife had the pork three ways and it was great. The red wine by the glass was only ok so a G&T was ordered and happiness was restored. e didn't have a starter or a dessert but were tempted as they sounded and looked fantastic.
Not too expensive and nice change from the ordinary We got severed straight away but I have heard the you might need to reserve so maybe give then a call on 01904 623716.

Thank you for sharing your experience, your comments are delightful and I have also passed them on to our chefs.
We do advise to anyone willing to dine in our fairly small but very atmospheric restaurant to book a table, as we only have 9 and they get snapped up very quickly. Thank you again, and we hope you will be back again soon to soak up the history and ambiance once again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent food served in the dining room at rear of the pub. Also nice live music on the Sunday evening when we went. Make sure you book a table, so many people were turned away when we were eating, as it was full.

Thank you for your lovely comments on your dining experience at Guy Fawkes', we really appreciate it. You are right, we do advise to book a table to avoid disappointment as we only have 9 tables in the restaurant and they get snapped up pretty quickly.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I wasn't sure about sharing this but my good side has decided to share the delights this pub has to offer. I'm a native of old Great Britain so have been to many a pub in my time, but this has to be the best and I steer away from the word 'awesome' for the cynic's out there, too good to be true and all that. Two main reasons (many others I coauld add) but the first is the obvious the Guy Fawkes association, brings history to life right under your nose but the mood and atmosphere created on the evening of the 27 July was well awseome! Secondly, sorry but I don't know if we were just lucky, I's like to think not, we only had a few drinks (not too many to judge) but inside the mood was all candle lit, dark, warm, inviting and what I can only describe as a recreation or a feel of how Inn's/pubs used to be. We sat at the bar and saw all the comings and goings, it was great, it's not a mssive bar area but it was nice to have a great atmosphere. On top of this there was live music, which was superb, sounded very similar to Seasick Steve, the shadows of the performers through the windows gave it a more of an old fashioned time gone by feel. A great experience but dont tell too many people!

Wow, thank you for the awesome review! I'm glad to hear you have thoroughly enjoyed yourself at the Guy Fawkes inn. The blues duo you enjoyed so much are here every Sunday to entertain our guests, and we'll be delighted to welcome you back again for another Gypsy Bill session.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

After being told by staff they were unsure if Sunday lunch was on even though the sign outside was advertising it I thought it was a bit strange. They returned to say it should be on between 12 and 12.30 and to come back. I thought it was a bit strange they seemed unsure and were trying to push us to order from the other menu instead. I decided to go back anyway and ordered the beef Sunday roast. Me and my partner both got raw beef that was barely cooked only around the edges, My partner attempted to cut into a piece that looked less pink and he could not cut through it. I ate some of the veg but could not touch the beef which was still breathing on my plate and the gravy was like water. I could see the staff were avoiding us and never once asked how it was. I waved one of them down and said we are not happy to pay for raw meat. A waitress returned about 15 minutes later and said did you not ask the chef if the meat was rare! I thought this was terrible I replied by saying " I think its your waiters responsibility to advise the customers that the meat is not cooked or take it off the menu until it is I did not order steak I ordered roast so therefore it is expected to be cooked" I couldn't help thinking the chef was behind with the cooking and had attempted to get away with taking the meat out of the oven before it was ready. We were not charged thankfully

AggiLuksa, Assistant Manager at Guy Fawkes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for finding time to leave us a review and I am disappointed to hear that our Sunday roast was not to your liking. We do usually serve Sunday lunch from 12pm, however due to some unforeseen technical difficulties we had to start serving lunch from 12.30. Unfortunately these things can sometimes happen and are unpredictable.
As for our topside of beef, it is always cooked medium rare, as many of our customers prefer their beef this way and as I'm sure you will know it is possible to cook a medium rare beef more to get it well done but not the other way around. I am positive, if you had mentioned to our waiter on presentation of the dish that the meat was too pink for you, he would have asked the chef to cook it to your liking. I can also assure you that our staff were not avoiding you. We had an extremely busy service that day and it is possible that our staff struggled to provide the usual level of customer service due to the amount of people dining at the time, however in no way they would avoid any of our customers. From speaking to our staff that served you I understand that an apology was given and indeed, as you have already said, you were not charged for the meal.