“Nice surroundings, but dreadful customer service and poor cleanliness”

and 1 more site!
York Lakeside Lodges
Ranked #20 of 56 Speciality Lodging in York
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The positive was that our lodge overlooked a lovely lake, and the geographical position was great, ten minutes from York with a Tesco nearby. However the attitude, ethos and cleanliness of the place was poor and means we won't be going again. A simple glance of the lodge manual gives you a sense of the owner's sullen attitude, ('Do not retune the television. I spend an hour every week fixing televisions that have been retuned...'). The irony is that we spent 15 minutes trying to work the DVD before eventually finding out that the scart wasn't plugged in, oh and there was no remote for it.

On about day three I went to the reception and checked if the meter reading hanging up in the kitchen meant we were paying separately for the energy (there was nothing about it in the lodge book.) I couldn't believe the defensive, rude attitude I received in response to my question. He immediately started telling me that this is clearly stated on his website and on the Hoseasons website. I hadn't seen this when I booked but I really didn't mind, I was just asking! However his attitude meant the simple query became a hostile encounter with him snarling and talking to me like I was a mixture of an adversary and an idiot. What a strange and counter-productive way for a lodge owner to behave.

There was a real grubbiness about the lodge. For us this was reflected in brown in the inside of mugs, a stain on the sheet, a chip on a glass, dirty rugs and bird poop on the porch. Also, the owner must have really scrimped because there was no hand wash provided, no sponge and only one toilet roll, so we had to buy cleaning products on our first night. Also, we were never able to get hot water out of the bathroom sink, so had to boil the kettle and carry in water to wash our faces.

One of the other bizarre things about the lodge handbook is its instructions for your last day. DO NOT go to reception, but wait till, 'a member of the family,' comes around. So I had the grumpy owner turning up at my lodge and telling me that I owed him £15.80. He didn't take cards, so he wanted cash there and then. (So have your exact money ready, even though you have no way of knowing the amount on advance.)

I'll be avoiding a 'family run' lodge again after this experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Freddy J

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Just returned from our annual 2 week stay - As always this place is a pleasure to visit. It's so relaxing and peaceful - It's a joy to wake up to the view of the lake! The grounds are well kept and the variety of trees around the lake are amazing. Fishing proved a challenge but nevertheless if you're willing to put in the time and effort you'll certainly reap the rewards....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

What a pleasure to wake up each morning to a 10 acre lake from our huge full length windows of five star lodge no 11. Quality and beautifully furnished with a Swedish feel, sauna and aqua bath. Even your fishing gear has its own space. I will miss sitting and seeing the astonishing view over the lake each morning over my breakfast. The owners are excellent with a welcome pack, fresh flowers and milk and tea upon your arrival. Everything is catered for and if not a phone is in the accommodation to call Neil or a family member (nothing is too much). The fishing is on your door step literally, but this is a specimen water which has depths of 18ft with carp up to 30lb and tench up to 12lb. Do note it is a hard water to fish, but you can see the fish especially from lodges 12 -14. If commercial fishing is more your thing do not rely solely on this venue. Willows fishery and Poppleton lake is only 3 - 4 miles away, both of which are commercial and my partner had two productive days at the (Willows).

York it's self is awesome with lots to do and transport links are superb, park and ride every ten minutes from the local Tesco's or York Taxis charge £7 from the venue gate or even from your lodge. Recommended takeaways will deliver to your lodge as they know how to use the gate system.

We will be returning next year. We only came back yesterday, hurry up July 2014.

Note ! this is a peaceful venue and is ideal for couples wanting a quiet holiday (not a good place for groups of youngsters or families really). Long may this continue.

Room Tip: No 11 for full lake view, no 12-14 for balcony over lake and looking onto huge carp swimming on the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa J
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Have recently returned from a week at Holly Lodge, one of the lodges on this lovely lake near York. The accommodation was excellent, clean, and with everything you needed to make your stay comfortable (the bed was particularly comfortable). Having read the previous reviews we were anxious about meeting the owner, however, after meeting him we found him to be very helpful, he comes across as being a little reserved and perhaps people mis-interpret this as being rude? My husband came to fish and would say that it is not the easiest water to fish for a novice carp angler ... although we did see some excellent carp in the pond (but unfortunately they stayed there!). This is a great place which would meet the needs of most people. The lodges themselves are in a secluded spot near the centre of York and have a feeling of calm about them but you have all the amenties you could wish for nearby ... including the Park and Ride facility which takes you into York. It should be noted that there is a railway line which runs near the lake but this did not overly disturb us. We would highly recommend these lodges.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GilliMac55
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Lovely secluded lodges looking out onto a beautiful lake. Feels like you are in the middle of the countryside and yet only 10 minutes from York centre and 5 minutes from York racecourse.
You don't even need to take the car into York, due to the park ride across the road.
Lodges well stocked with gadgets and are extremely clean, in lodge 11 you even have your own Sauna.
Dogs are welcome and our dog Max loves the place, it's like Disney to him.
The ducks are friendly and love left over titbits.
Thank you lakeside lodges for a wonderful stay we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cambodia3110
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Nice site all lodges had lovely view of lake,near York, easy access by park & ride with buses running every 10 minutes.

1  Thank Jean P
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We had a lovely week, the lodge was clean and had a beautiful view of the lake. The Tesco Extra and Park and Ride are within walking distance, then about 10 minute ride into the centre of York. If you want to see York this is an ideal place to stay. We plan to stay again next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean P
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Holiday Inn York
Paradise Lakeside Lodges
Home Farm
Home Farm
#1 of 1 in Stillingfleet

Been to York Lakeside Lodges? Share your experiences!