“Excellent Customer Service, great location - bargain”

Premier Inn York City (Blossom St South) Hotel
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in York
Surrey
“Excellent Customer Service, great location - bargain”
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Wow, first time at a Premier Inn and pleasantly surprised. Very helpful staff, clean, modern, big bathroom. In fact i have stayed at numerous four stars on business and this outstrips all off those hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richanddee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
UK
Reviewed 25 August 2010

This review is not based on me actually staying at this hotel, but is a summary of my experience booking it for someone else.

I was looking for somewhere in York for my parents Golden wedding anniversary, as a present from me to them.

I came across this hotel & they offered a good deal, so I booked a one night stay online. So far so good.

In advance of my parents stay, I just happened to spend some time in York, so I decided to call into this hotel to double check the booking & also to pay for it up front, so that my parents had nothing to worry about later on.

I was told that I couldn't pay in advance due to the hotel's policy that you are able to cancel a booking up to the date of arrival, at no charge. Now whilst this is a good thing of course, I stiil wanted to sort things out sooner rather than later. After much deliberation, my paymet was processed on their system & I left.

An hour or so later I got a phone call from the hotel saying that the payment had not in fact been processed, due to the inability of their system to take advance payments.

Fortunately I was still in York at the time so I returned (incoveniently) & told them that I could not physically be there on the day of my parents arrival, just to pay the bill.

So a hand written statement was quickly drafted which authorised the hotel to use my credit card on the day of my parents arrival. I then left again feeling very annoyed that they could not do anything more, especially in this day & age. So customer unfriendly.

I was just trying to do them a favour by giving them my money there & then.

Having instilled in me no confience in their ability to function properly, I decided to call them on the day of my parents arrival, to triple check that everything was ok.

During the call, I specifically asked that the Invoice be emailed or posted to me in my name & I was assured that this was going to happen.

Withn a couple of days of my parents stay, I got a call from my mother, who told me that an envelope with Premier Inn log was delivered & addressed to my parents. So in good faith they opened the letter, only to find the Invoice in their names.

They could now see how I paid for it & how much it cost, which was private & confidential financial information that the hotel had now disclosed to a third party. Data Protection Act breach ?

The actions of this hotel made my parents feel uncomfortable for something they had no involvement with or control over. I was left feeling very angry.

I duly complained to the hotel, via several emails online & finally after a couple of weeks, someone called me. All I got was a half hearted apology but they couldn't really see what they had done wrong since they had just followed "normal" procedure.

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth so I would advise others to be very careful & wary about how you deal with this company, if you are acting on behalf of someone else .

I certainly won't be using them again !

Stayed August 2010