“Good value and clean”

Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in York
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good value and clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We found the staff to be very welcoming and accommodating when we needed an extra late check out due to a sick child. Breakfast buffet had masses of choice but it is served in a pretty confined space which is not very relaxing overall. The queues can be long. The rooms and corridors were very clean. There is insufficient parking and this is a bit stressful but we were warned when we booked.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

There are actually two hotels almost next to each other. Both look ok. We had a family room and the four beds were set up for our arrival. The room was very clean and the service was excellent. We had a room on the road side of the hotel but the windows were good enough to keep most the noise out. Breakfast was good and is good value if you have kids as they eat free. All in all good value for money.

• Stayed August 2010
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one night on the way up to Edinburgh from London. We got to the hotel around 3 pm so had no difficulty parking in the small free car park round the back. Check-in was not great as we came in from the car park and queued at the reception for 10 minutes only to be told that this was the öther" Premier Inn on Blossom St. Luckily our hotel was just 20 yards further down the road. However instead of a reception desk the Blossom St South has self-service kiosks which were a real pain - they're not really self service as you still need to have the receptionist standing next to you telling you what to do and we waited over 10 minutes for the receptionist whilst she dealt with telephone reservations.

Once we did get checked-in we found the two rooms we'd booked to be good - clean, very quiet and very new. Breakfast was good - not a huge selection but reasonable quality and the breakfast staff were very helpful.

The location of the hotel is great - just a couple of minutes from the start of the old town and plenty of good eating places within a 10 minute stroll.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Wow, first time at a Premier Inn and pleasantly surprised. Very helpful staff, clean, modern, big bathroom. In fact i have stayed at numerous four stars on business and this outstrips all off those hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richanddee
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

This review is not based on me actually staying at this hotel, but is a summary of my experience booking it for someone else.

I was looking for somewhere in York for my parents Golden wedding anniversary, as a present from me to them.

I came across this hotel & they offered a good deal, so I booked a one night stay online. So far so good.

In advance of my parents stay, I just happened to spend some time in York, so I decided to call into this hotel to double check the booking & also to pay for it up front, so that my parents had nothing to worry about later on.

I was told that I couldn't pay in advance due to the hotel's policy that you are able to cancel a booking up to the date of arrival, at no charge. Now whilst this is a good thing of course, I stiil wanted to sort things out sooner rather than later. After much deliberation, my paymet was processed on their system & I left.

An hour or so later I got a phone call from the hotel saying that the payment had not in fact been processed, due to the inability of their system to take advance payments.

Fortunately I was still in York at the time so I returned (incoveniently) & told them that I could not physically be there on the day of my parents arrival, just to pay the bill.

So a hand written statement was quickly drafted which authorised the hotel to use my credit card on the day of my parents arrival. I then left again feeling very annoyed that they could not do anything more, especially in this day & age. So customer unfriendly.

I was just trying to do them a favour by giving them my money there & then.

Having instilled in me no confience in their ability to function properly, I decided to call them on the day of my parents arrival, to triple check that everything was ok.

During the call, I specifically asked that the Invoice be emailed or posted to me in my name & I was assured that this was going to happen.

Withn a couple of days of my parents stay, I got a call from my mother, who told me that an envelope with Premier Inn log was delivered & addressed to my parents. So in good faith they opened the letter, only to find the Invoice in their names.

They could now see how I paid for it & how much it cost, which was private & confidential financial information that the hotel had now disclosed to a third party. Data Protection Act breach ?

The actions of this hotel made my parents feel uncomfortable for something they had no involvement with or control over. I was left feeling very angry.

I duly complained to the hotel, via several emails online & finally after a couple of weeks, someone called me. All I got was a half hearted apology but they couldn't really see what they had done wrong since they had just followed "normal" procedure.

This has left a very bitter taste in my mouth so I would advise others to be very careful & wary about how you deal with this company, if you are acting on behalf of someone else .

I certainly won't be using them again !

Stayed August 2010