“It's ok for hen and stag do's”
Review of The Watergate Inn

The Watergate Inn
Ranked #166 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I visited this place for my cousin's hen party in July and there was quite a big group of us.

Me and my mum managed to get one of the newly refurbed rooms in the courtyard which are a lot nicer than the ones above the pub, which are outdated.

It's nothing to rave about but it served a purpose. A lot of places in York don't accept hen and stag parties so I wasn't expecting much and to be honest I just wanted to enjoy myself, I wasn't there to experience 5 star quality!!

The best thing about the place is the decking area which overlooks the river. We dropped on a red hot day so we spent quite a bit of time soaking up the rays next to the river, whilst obviously topping up on alcohol!!

I can't say it's the worst place I've stayed because the room was nice but it's not somewhere I'd visit with my boyfriend for a romantic break, particularly because the karaoke blasts out all the time and the boys who run the place are quite slimey. Also there is no breakfast included.

Overall it's ok for a group of people just looking for a place to sleep after a good night out.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lisasuperstar
There are newer reviews for The Watergate Inn

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed here in June and payed £40 per person, no breakfast included.
We booked all the rooms exept one.
We did try to get into one of the travel lodges as it would have been a lot cheaper but we could not find one that could take us all. (We were on a hen party and all wanted to be together)
We arrived and the barman took a while before he sorted us out - he was too busy singing on the karoke, eying up all the young lasses and trying to impress them with a few of his swooning out of tune notes. Eventually he gave us the keys and showed us where the rooms were.
The rooms above the pub are ok, a bit old fashioned but clean.
We managed to grab one of the rooms in the courtyard, these are much better because they have had a nice refurb. My pictures show one of the nicer rooms, the ones above the pub are all pine, flowery and outdated.
There is a sitting area out the back and near the river, as it fell on a really hot weekend it was lovely for us all to be able to sit and have a drink, that is until the barman and his mate came and joined us, again trying to impress the younger ones. Yuk!
We stayed on a Saturday and it can be very loud. The day we were there the barman had the karaoke on day and night. Luckily we avoided most of it as we went out into York.
The pub is located down a side street and to be honest i never heard the traffic that has been mentioned in other reviews. The street was always quiet when we went out into it.
The good thing about the place is that it is within walking distance to the pubs, shops and sites. We got a taxi from the train station when we arrived (about £10) but walked to it on the way back as it's only about 10-15 mins away on foot.
I would never take my partner or mum to this place but it's ok if you want somewhere to stay for the night (if you can't get anywhere else) and only if you have been out with your mates. It's no good if you are looking for a romantic break, infact if my partner booked us into this place the only break he would get would be his neck.
It could be a nice place if it was run better and all the rooms need updating.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pat D
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The owner made me and my girlfriend feel very welcome. the barstaff were frieindly and were pleased to answer any questions. We seen the bad reviews after we had booked the room and we was expecting the worst, but when we got here it was nice and we would stop here again. Very good location, friendly staff, reasonably priced rooms, very enjoyable trip

2  Thank Reddog4nffc
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked this pub after having a drink in there after the races last year. We spoke to the owner and guests staying there before booking 5 rooms for the race weekend this year. I must admit i was a bit worried after reading the last few reports here. report follows
There was a queery on room prices when I phoned to confirm, compared to when i booked. The owner quickly phoned me back to confirm the original price. Arrived at pub and shown to rooms by owner. We settled in bar for a few drinks and collected and paid the owner. (first time money mentioned was when we paid him).
feed back from party was the rooms were basic but clean, just what you would expect for the price in a city centre pub location on race day. As we were told before hand it was room only, the owner told us the best places for breakfast.Throughout the weekend all our party found the various bar staff that were on, pleasent and curtious. Concerning the karaoke noise on the saturday night, we were at the pub until after midnight in the bar. All the windows were closed earlier in the evening. Some of our party were upstairs over the pub and the rest down the courtyard, none of us had any complaints about noise when we retired to our rooms with the karaoke still going. The only complaint about noise all weekend was for the very creaky floorboards, defenitely need a joiner for them. Overall a very enjoyable weekend was had by all. Would recommend the Masons bar and Grill just up the road, excellent food.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank iwgillies
Reviewed 19 July 2010

as a previous review said its cash up front! hmmm i wonder why if it was for breakages i would say you would be doing them a favour! dank old rooms, the en suite was disguting and mouldy, bedding washed out, the towels were so old and very small, the landlord and barmaid are the most revolting people ive ever encountered, Do not leave any belongings laying around in the bar, as they may disapear!!! when we confronted the landlord and said we would phone the police the item in question magiclly reappeared and we were then subject to verbal in your face abuse from the landord, barmaid, his daughter and her freinds and someof the local drinkers! id recomend york to anyone a beatiful place but not this hell hole of a so called inn! better off in a hostel!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank trish47
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Well where do i start....... Pay your money up front which is for their piece of mind so you don't smash the place up or do a runner without paying (yes their words). Paid £140 for 2 nights with no breakfast included in that, room was small and the bathroom not in the best condition, anyway we still had a couple of days in lovely york too look forward too.

Didn't see the landlord untill he staggered back drunk with his daughter/barmaid/partner
from york races at about 10.30pm to take over behind the bar. The pair of them running the pub in that state was nothing short of embrassing.
My 2 drinks earlier had come to £5.10 when finally getting the barmaids attention to order the same drinks again she tried to charge me £7.85, which came down a pound, then another pound when she realised i was nowhere near as drunk as she was.

As for the landlord, well if your from the south be ready for him to take the mickey out of your accent when ordering a drink plus being called a tw*t at the same time. ( i swear this is all true).

Bring some earplugs if you want a few hours sleep otherwise the karoke can keep u awake well into the early hours. I think this is why they like the money up front, to late then to realise you have made a mistake staying there. Fire alarm not the karoke woke us the following night at 4 in the morning, suppose these things can happen, but no explanation or apologies as to why in the morning.

Only positive is the location but hardly makes up for the 2 nights of hell endured. So if you fancy a fawlty towers type break then the five lions is the place for you!.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mot1992
Reviewed 2 May 2010

The location of this 'hotel' is about all it has going for it! Located in Walmgate, the hotel is situated very close to Cliffords Towers and city centre shopping. However whilst this may sound like a winner to most it is NOT!!

Firstly the pub is above a small but very loud pub where it is locally infamous rather than famous for its late night karioke events. Luckily the night we stayed this event was not scheduled, however that was the least of our problems.

After asking for a room we were shown to our rooms by the barmaid who (in a deadly serious manner) exclaimed we would have to leave our card details at the bar so that following our visit our card we charged should we have found it fun to, I quote;

"Smash up the places, knackering stuff or nick off with a telly or cups 'n' stuff"

I actually found this quite funny as she was so serious! However as we walked up the stairs the place literally STINKS!! I was close to wretching at one point. OK so the upstairs had recently been 're-decorated' - by that they mean a lick of paint - literally!

If I was to hazard a guess I would imagine the smell was a mix between settling paint, very bad damp and various smells from the pub below.

THE ROOM:

Once the barmaid had left and we went in to our room it didn't seem altogether that bad. It was a very, very large and spacious room with 1 x double bed and 3 x single beds.

The bedding itself was all mismatched and extremeley dated as was the curtains. The carpet was very thin, cheap and worn in places. The tea and coffee facilities were stale and not at all worth touching.

The bathroom is nothing short of VILE!! I'll say it again.......VILE!!!!

The whole ceiling was covered in mould, damp and crumbling paint work - as was the shower. You would have to be Ralph Fienne to climb in to it for a start, not that you would want to. There was not a single bit of soap, shower gel shampoo or nothing - we even had to ask for toilet roll, which they had to take from the pubs toilets - I mean really!!!!

The room we were given was right on the road, which in the day is a small, fairly quiet one way single road - by night it turns in to the highway to hell!!

In all the years I have travelled and to all the countries I can with conviction and all honesty say I have never slept in a more noisey place in my life!!!!

Up until about 4am you will here people coming back from the city centre clubs screaming, shouting etc etc - I late realised there is a rather large Student residency at the end of the road - hence our late night ignorant neighbours.

At around 5am all the trucks start to use the road for deliveries to the pubs, restaurants and shops, which again makes a hell of a noise and quite literally makes the room shake (and not in a good way)!

***************

To enter the property is a joyless task all on its own. In the day you can go via the pub or you can go via the alleyway/drive way in to a side door (only way at night).

At night you almost feel like a Prison Officer with all the keys you need to get in.

1) First of all there is a key for the huge gate to the car park and side entrance (lock that back up)

2) Then you have to open the side door to the building and lock that up.

3) Unlock the door to the upstairs (right by the pub toilets - gross) - lock that then go to your room.

All the locks are annoyingly fiddly and all in all it takes around 15/20 minutes to get in the place.

I will NEVER stay here again - I would rather travel home if there was no where else available. For £70 a night (regardless of room) there was NO BREAKFAST!!!!!

Fine the bedroom (minus the bathroom) seemed clean and large enough and the staff were O.K. Apart from that it was not as good place to be.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends