“Expensive but a great experience”
Review of York Maze

York Maze
Ranked #7 of 218 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: York Maze is an a-maizing day out for the whole family. The attraction is based around a giant maze, made from maize plants. We open during the school summer holidays,to give families an amazing day out. With over 20 different rides and attractions, the kids will be kept busy for the whole day! York Maze also runs Halloween events for families in the daytime, and teenagers and adults at night during the Halloween half term. We finish the year with a huge firework spectacular set to music, on November the 5th every year. When we are not open to the public, we host weddings in our beautiful barn complex. It's the perfect setting for a rustic wedding!
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I have been to York Maze many times, as we live very close to York Maze. Every year the design of the maze is different, and it is always original and never gets boring. There are lots of activities in the centre including an illusion part, inflatable slides, tractor rides and lots more.
However, it is always expensive to get in and the food is very overpriced. Also, you have to pay for some of the activities.
Overall, I would recommend the maze as a day out but don't come if you are only staying for 2-3 hours as to make your moneys worth you need to stay the whole day.

1  Thank Alex W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,185)
All reviews
"remote control boats"
in 21 reviews
"halloween event"
in 24 reviews
"plenty of picnic tables"
in 23 reviews
in 113 reviews
"sand pit"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We live fairly close to the York Maze and for the past few years have gone every year.

Cannot recommend it as a day out enough this year we went with some friends and went down a storm.

Highlights have to be the Bouncy pillow, the water balloons and off course the maze which is just brilliant fun!!

One slight downer, this year when we went in we thought it was quite expensive nearly £10 per head.

But!!! There is one thing that I have to comment on and give a massive gold star for and that is the food!!

The food that they do is amazing, and other attractions should take note of the selection and quality that they do. Especal point needs to be made about childrens food which is the pick 5 items etc.. The selection that they offer for kids is brilliant.

Already looking forward to next years visit!!!

1  Thank andymcm75
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Loved it here, even though it was quite busy, there's so much space and so much to do that there was very little queuing and always an empty picnic bench free! My 2 boys (7 and 5) particularly loved the quad bikes and the cobstacle course and the staff couldn't have been friendlier! Warning: really take note of the recommendations of Kernels house - don't go in if you have vertigo, it does make you feel weird! Very cleverly done! We took a picnic but will try out the BBQ next time as it looked and smelt delicious and reasonably priced too. Highly recommend this venue!

2  Thank Godd_10
Reviewed 15 August 2014

In a way I feel a bit bad about only giving York Maze three stars because we have had really good days out there when the children were younger. We hadn't been for a couple of years and now my children are 6, 9 and nearly 12. It made us realise that this day out is much more appropriate for under 10s as there is not much to interest older ones and not much had been added since our last visit. The tractor ride was great fun as usual, so don't miss this if you go, and the maze itself was good. The staff were generally nice except for one called Tom who was a bit of a jobs worth. My youngest son decided to have a go on the bouncy slide whilst Tom looked on like a stern head master, telling the children off at every opportunity. He managed to reduce the happy little band to a cowed silence as they tiptoed up the steps and slid down sedately. The same young man nobbled us at the pig races having immediately noticed that we'd committed the crime of taking an icecream into the farm area. We were warned loudly of ecoli and other nasty things. But I thought 'What the hell!' and we carried on regardless. And guess what? We are all still here to tell the tale. I realise that there have to be health and safety measures in place in these venues but this chap did come across as a bit abrasive.
On the positive side, the tractor ride was hilarious and the water wars were fun. But I think that to attract families with older children the owners would have to introduce one or two new activities such as a larger bouncy slide or maybe a climbing wall. To sum up, I think that if you have children under ten you are pretty much guaranteed to have a good day, but for the over tens it's a bit thin on the ground. This will almost certainly be our last visit.

2  Thank Helen D
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Came here with my partner and his two children aged 5 and 8 and my daughter aged 10 and what an amazingly brilliant day we had spent a good 7 hours here and could have stayed longer not only Is there 3 mazes the maze of illusions we found particularly entertaining there's so much more to do. The inflatable obstacle course which adults could partake in too was very fun and the water balloon throwing game. The house of corn fusion went down very well we went round it 4 times plus the massive outdoor play area, bouncy slide and tractor ride filled our day with lots to do, they also have animals and pig racing I never expected there to be so much here plus staff are all very friendly and helpful I can't understand the terrible reviews from people I can only conclude they must be from people who are impossible to please we will definitely be visiting again.

2  Thank Donna M