“Great day out for with grandchildren”
Review of York Maze

York Maze
Ranked #7 of 218 things to do in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: York Maze is an a-maizing day out for the whole family. The attraction is based around a giant maze, made from maize plants. We open during the school summer holidays,to give families an amazing day out. With over 20 different rides and attractions, the kids will be kept busy for the whole day! York Maze also runs Halloween events for families in the daytime, and teenagers and adults at night during the Halloween half term. We finish the year with a huge firework spectacular set to music, on November the 5th every year. When we are not open to the public, we host weddings in our beautiful barn complex. It's the perfect setting for a rustic wedding!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 November 2014

Took three of our grandchildren during the half-term holiday just before Halloween. Cost £42 for all five of us to get in which seems a lot but almost everything was free once we were inside, including making pumpkins, We were even helped to make these by very child-friendly staff. And the pantomime was a bit corny but the kids liked it and laughed all the way through. Recommended!

1  Thank chris1949York
Write a ReviewReviews (2,183)
All reviews
"remote control boats"
in 21 reviews
"halloween event"
in 24 reviews
"plenty of picnic tables"
in 23 reviews
in 113 reviews
"sand pit"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 4 November 2014 via mobile

We went here on the last night and what a night it was.

From the get go you were on edge and an amazing night was had by all, we enjoyed it, the only down side was it dosent take very long to get around....or that could be cos I was running through it all.

Price wise maybe a bit pricy but would go back again as the staff are so energetic and never let there character slip.

1  Thank annie2712
Reviewed 3 November 2014

What an amazing night. Visited the York Maze Hallowscream event on 1st November 2014. We arrived around 6pm, and there was plenty of onsite parking available. On arrival we went through the reception desks, no queue so were in the event within 5 minutes of parking up.

Once inside, the scares began immediately, from being chased by a chainsaw wielding clown, to werewolves leaping out behind buildings!

All the scare actors are dressed in incredibly realistic outfits and make-up, and the most hardened of horror fans (me being one of them) would find it hard not to be impressed. I went with my wife and sister-in-law, and we were all thoroughly impressed. There are 5 main attractions around the farm, and numerous other side-events/catering tents. At one of the attractions you are led into the corn maze by a crazed soldier with a very loud shotgun, on the hunt for a werewolf. My sister-in-law was separated from us by a group of soldiers and we could not get back to her. She had to go round the maze on her own, so was not impressed but I was in stitches hearing her cries and screams from the distance.

LOVED the Indifference Engine, it was very deceptive from the outside and massively disorientating (It is in complete pitch black for most of it). The 5 main attractions are
1. Barnageddon.
2. 1873
3. Reincornation
4. The Freak Show
5. The Difference Engine

All are mental, full of twists, turns, low ceilings and very dark corners! Obviously this is not for the faint-hearted, but well worth the cost of entry. I got a special deal through my work so got the "RIP Tickets" (fast-track, no queueing), but would say even at full price it would have been worth it.

I would recommend a read of the back-story on the York Maze website before visiting, because it really sets the tone for what is to come. One thing that could improve the event would be to have the story of each section outside the attractions, so you can read them while queueing up, it would minimise boredom during queueing (plus it would distract people and give the actors more opportunity to creep up on them).

I have been to numerous scare events, and this is by far the best I have been to! I cannot recommend it highly enough. Well done to all at the event, and keep it up, We'll be back next year

2  Thank Glen1974
Reviewed 2 November 2014

Went on Halloween and it was excellent! 5 attractions, each lasting about 15/20 mins. Beware you have to queue but not excessively. Not saying anything about the attractions as it will spoil it, hence the element of surprise is key!!! Highly recommend this for anyone not of a nervous disposition because you will have one by the time you leave

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 November 2014

First visit, decided to make the journey from Hartlepool for the Halloween event. Brought along my 11 year old son and 22 month old son on the 31 October.
I paid online a few days before and saved about £1 per ticket (the little one was free with him being under 3). In total I paid £20. Good thing about that was our visit didn't have to be date specific, we had a window fora out
To be honest I wasn't expecting that much, it is hard to keep both my boys entertained due to the huge age gap but credit where credit's due, there was something for both of them and we all absolutely loved it.
We were there for four and half hours and still didn't do everything that was on offer as we had to rush home for trick or treating.
Both the boys were entertained throughout the day, highlight for me being house of cornfusion - fantastic and totally beyond my expectations.
£20 to keep both my boys entertained for the day is fantastic value for money and I cannot wait to return for our first summer visit in 2015.