“Good stay”

Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in York
Leek, United Kingdom
“Good stay”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Having visited our grandson and family in Scarborough this hotel was the ideal break in the journey for our trip to the Trafford Centre in Manchester.
I had booked via their web page some weeks prior to arrival and sent them an email a few days before we got there stating that we might be late arriving and asking for a quiet room. An immediate reply asked if I wanted a room on the ground or first floor.
A good nights sleep in a quiet location of the hotel. The breakfast was good and sufficient for our needs. Everywhere was warm, inviting and very clean. Well done to all concerned, I am sure you will be seeing us again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Clive S
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Thank you for your kind comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
I was pleased to see that our hotel was ideally located for your cross country trip.
I have passed your wonderful comments on to the Reception team with regards to your email prior to arrival. They are pleased that they could be of help.
I was also pleased to see you enjoyed the free Express Start breakfast, and we hope that we do see you again in the near future.

Andrew Wrench

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed for one night travelling from Manchester to Scarborough. It's what you'd expect if you are familiar with the Xpress operation. The Toby Carvery next door is very handy with a choice of carvery meats and all you can eat veg. At £16 for a Pint, Dinner, Desert and a coffee you cant complain. It was £59 for the room but I have seen it over £100 which it's not worth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the left at the top of the stairs. Room to the right ovrlook reception and are no...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kurgan74
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for your comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
Whilst the adjacent Toby Carvery is not affilliated with Holiday Inn Express York, I have passed your feedback over to the Management which they were pleased about.
We have a manned 24 hours Reception desk so if you do experience any noise throughout the night, especially above Reception, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk who will deal with it accordingly.
I do hope you visit us again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We only had one night to spend in York of our whirlwind 2+ week tour of the UK. None of the other major hotels would allow us less than a 2 night booking. The Holiday Inn Express does allow 1 night bookings. We found it to be clean, comfortable and located on a convenient bus route so that we could get into town to walk around. Parking is free. Back entrance with ramp to unload our luggage ourselves was handy to the elevator/lift.
Dinner service was very slow and food was just ok. I would suggest eating elsewhere for dinner. We were fine with the breakfast - not deluxe but it was plenty for us.
If I was staying longer I might have stayed inside the city wall - but that would have cost more too. For the flexibility, location, price combination it was fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CindyW_Texas_USA
Thank you for your kind comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here.
I have passed your comments about the adjacent Toby Carvery on to the Manager but it is in no way affilliated with the Holiday Inn Express York.
We hope you visit us again soon

Llantwit Fardre
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My husband & I stayed at The Holiday Inn Express York for a long weekend 10th Nov 2012. After reading some of the Tripadvisor comments we almost didn’t go!! I actually telephoned the hotel on the morning of our departure to see if there was a major problem there as the comments made by some guests suggested that. I was reassured that there was no underlying problem so we decided to go. On arrival, the staff were very friendly & helpful, our room was an accessible room & was quite big & really clean there were plenty of car parking spaces. The bed was comfortable with clean white linen; the towels were white & fluffy & smelt clean & fresh. The only problem was the bathroom which smelt of dirty drains (think the drains needed unblocking!!): we informed the manager of this & asked for some air freshener, which he gave us, he also offered us another room which we declined: we did end up buying an air freshener to go in the bathroom & the smell gradually went. The breakfast was good: plenty of cereals, fruit, toast & pastries, there was also a selection of hot food albeit limited to beans, sausage & scrambled eggs. There was plenty of choice for hot & cold beverages; all of the food was replenished where required. I can see the problem of space at busy times I counted only 25 tables in the breakfast area & there are 100 rooms at this hotel: we were lucky enough to get a table every morning & the staff ensured that the tables were cleared & cleaned regularly. All in all I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel as some of the reviews suggested a much less than adequate place to stay, I think that the price reflects the quality i.e. this is not a 5 star hotel therefore, you do not get 5 star treatment!!! I would definitely stay here again & some people need to realise this before they start writing damning reports. I have stayed in some right dumps & this is my honest opinion of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tourist25
Thank you for your feedback posted for Holiday Inn Express York.
I am pleased you enjoyed your time here, and am pleased that you chose to contact the hotel prior to arrival.
I am glad you liked the white fluffy towels in your room, and that you found it to be spacious.
I have addressed the issue you brought straight to my attention with regards to the drains, and this has now been recitified.
I am pleased to see you took advantage of the free Express Start breakfast and enjoyed the wide variety of food and beverages on offer.
I have passed your comments on to the Breakfast assistants.

Once again, thank you for your comments, all feedback posted is used as construcitvely as possible to improve the quality of the hotel and its services.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

A last minute decision to visit York, I searched the internet for one night's accommodation. Most hotels were full however this one still had vacancies and I now know why. At £120 I expected rather more than a budget hotel but was sadly disappointed. The room was clean but in need of a refurb. Pillows had a ribbon stating soft or firm which I thought was good however there should have been one on the bed stating soft and uncomfortable and you will roll into the centre! Breakfast was basic and scambled egg and beans were awful. Staff however were friendly.

Overall is was budget level and should have been priced around the £60 mark. I shall not be returning.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback posted after your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
I am sorry you did not feel the hotel was upto the standard you were expecting.
I do wish that you had brought the uncomfortableness of the bed to my attention during your stay; the Reception team would have been more than accommodating in moving you rooms.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the free Express Start breakfast given to all our guests; we offer a choice of four cereals, toast, croissants, pain au chocolat, bread rolls, flavoured & natural yoghurts, fresh fruits, sausages, beans and scrambled egg, as well as a selection of hot and cold beverages, so I am sorry you felt that this was still basic and not of high quality. We use any food feedback constructively with our suppliers to maintain a high standard that guests have come to expect. This feedback will be shared with them.
I am pleased that you found the staff to be friendly and have passed these comments on to the team.
I do hope we see you again at Holiday Inn Express York and that a future stay will be of better enjoyment.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Booked 8 rooms here as a family get together. The staff were very helpful in helping me with arrangements. Room was clean and everything satisfactory for the price. There is a Park & Ride nearby that we used during the daytime to go into the city and taxi in the evening.
Breakfast is not brilliant but is included in price. This was not a major problem for me.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
am pleased that you felt the value for money was 5 out of 5, and that you found our staff helpful in assisting you with your group reservation.
I am pleased to see that you took advantage of the free Express Start breakfast, and am sorry that you did not feel it was up to the high standard you had come to expect.
We pride ourselves on the quality and variety of the breakfast options, so any feedback recieved is used constructively to improve on this.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to se you and your family here at Holiday Inn Express York again soon.

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

although very cheap generally have been in a lot better budget hotels indeed better hol inn express's.room was clean albeit beds very uncomfortable.breakfast was very poor.on the plus side staff were nice

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
I am sorry you felt your stay was not to the high standard you have come to expect at Holiday Inn Express hotels, and that you found your bed to be uncomforatble. Whilst we pride ourselves on the quality of your hotel rooms, we appreciate that all guests' requirements are different, and have taken the comments on board with regards to the beds.
I am pleased that you found the staff at the hotel friendly, but was sorry to hear that you found the free Express Start breakfast to be poor. Our free breakfast consists of four cereals, toast, bread rolls, croissants, pain au chocolat, fruit & natural yoghurts, fresh fruit and a wide selection of hot and cold beverages, and we take feedback on food comments constructively, and share them with our suppliers.

Once again, thank you for your comments and staying at Holiday Inn Express York, and we hope to see you again soon.