Holiday Inn Express York
Hotels.com
US$183
US$150
  • Pool
Novotel York Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$122
US$102
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Wheatlands Lodge Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$126
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$192
All reviewstoby carverypark and ridemonks crossretail parktoby innbeansroom was cleanthe breakfast areasofa bedminute drivefree breakfastcity centrewould stay againring roadyogurton arrivalno air con
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed over for just one night and usually stay at Premier Inns but unfortunately they where fully booked. This was our first visit in a Holiday inn express. The reception was clean and tidy and we did get a friendly welcome from the receptionist but sadly thats where it ended. Our room was very basic and the bathroom left a lot to be desired. When people stay at hotels they expect to feel at home and not in some cheap put me up. The bathroom was poorly finished and sparse and the bed was the worst bed ever that I have slept in. I felt like Tigger in winnie the pooh; when my wife turned over I shot up off the mattress due to the excessive springs in the mattress. If you want to wow customers you need to spend money on beds; its really that simple. Got through the night and was really looking forward to breakfast. Sorry but it was pitifull there as well. I cannot understand why we could not get bacon with our cooked breakfast; there was sausage but no bacon. It only takes a few minutes to cook bacon fgs.The scrambled eggs had been cooked to within an inch of their life and where like rubber. All in all holiday in express seem to have spent a lot of money on the reception area but that does not transfer through to the roms and the breakfast experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank millie2008
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2011

Thank you for your comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
All feedback is used constructively to gain a better understanding of our guests and how we can improve the hotel and its services.
I am glad you found your check-in friendly and inviting and have passed your comments on to the Reception team.
I was sorry to hear that you felt your room was sparse and poorly finished; we adhere to strict standards throughout the Express estate and your findings have been taken on board.
I have also noted your unhappiness on the bed in your room; we understand that guests have their personal preference and we strive to impress all of our guests with our high standards.
I am sorry you felt we did not deliver this time.
I also apologise for your unhappiness at your free Express Start breakfast. At Holiday Inn Express as a brand we do not offer a full cooked breakfast; we provide a continental breakfast with three hot options which are scrambled egg, sausages and beans. All Holiday Inn Express properties now offer a consistent approach to breakfast.
Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Just returned from a two night stay at the holiday inn York. Rooms were ok spacious,bed not too comfy. Plenty of parking spaces.When i booked this hotel we was hoping to be able to walk to the centre of York,but you are unable to because there are no foot paths,so on our first day we asked where the bus stop was and was told directions by the a member of staff,this was a 10-15 min walk and it was freezing cold and when we got there had just missed a bus and the next one would be another hour, so we had to walk back to the hotel and booked a taxi,so wasted most of our morning and cost us £8. The next day we went to catch the bus again as we checked the time table out and it was very late,so we used a taxi again,so we spent alot of money on taxi fares. On our first morning we went down to breakfast and hardly anything and was told by another guest that the breakfast had not been delivered,we didnt even get a apology for this. The second morning we went down for breakfast and this time there was food but not good,greasy sausage,hard beans,and cold scrambled egg. So we opted for a coffee and muffin, The only good thing about this hotel is plenty of parking spaces and that there is a Toby carvery next door. Would not recommend this hotel on the upside York is fab!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shawy37

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
I am glad that you found the hotel bedrooms spacious, and had plenty of car parking spaces on your arrival.
The hotel is not advertised as City Centre, so I am sorry you felt it was when creating your booking. The bus stop into the City Centre is indeed a 10/15 minute walk from the hotel; and there is a leaflet stand in the hotel with the local bus timetable in. They do run every half an hour from that stop between 7am and midnight. There is a park and ride that is 1 mile from the hotel and we do encourage guests to use this as it is a cheap and convenient way into the City Centre and is also an alternative to a taxi fare.
I am sorry that the breakfast you experienced was the morning of a delayed delivery; I accept fully that this is no excuse, but that morning, the adjacent Toby Carvery had offered to take our guests so I am sorry you were not made aware of this.
I am sorry you did not enjoy the free Express Start breakfast your second morning and only opted for a coffee and a muffin; our food is sourced from high quality suppliers so your feedback is appreciated and will be relayed to them directly. There is also a selection of other items including cereals, croissants, toast, fresh fruits and yoghurts.
I am glad you enjoyed your visits into York and hope that we do see you again at Holiday Inn Express York.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Having visited our grandson and family in Scarborough this hotel was the ideal break in the journey for our trip to the Trafford Centre in Manchester.
I had booked via their web page some weeks prior to arrival and sent them an email a few days before we got there stating that we might be late arriving and asking for a quiet room. An immediate reply asked if I wanted a room on the ground or first floor.
A good nights sleep in a quiet location of the hotel. The breakfast was good and sufficient for our needs. Everywhere was warm, inviting and very clean. Well done to all concerned, I am sure you will be seeing us again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Clive S

Thank you for your kind comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
I was pleased to see that our hotel was ideally located for your cross country trip.
I have passed your wonderful comments on to the Reception team with regards to your email prior to arrival. They are pleased that they could be of help.
I was also pleased to see you enjoyed the free Express Start breakfast, and we hope that we do see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed for one night travelling from Manchester to Scarborough. It's what you'd expect if you are familiar with the Xpress operation. The Toby Carvery next door is very handy with a choice of carvery meats and all you can eat veg. At £16 for a Pint, Dinner, Desert and a coffee you cant complain. It was £59 for the room but I have seen it over £100 which it's not worth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the left at the top of the stairs. Room to the right ovrlook reception and are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Kurgan74
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Thank you for your comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
Whilst the adjacent Toby Carvery is not affilliated with Holiday Inn Express York, I have passed your feedback over to the Management which they were pleased about.
We have a manned 24 hours Reception desk so if you do experience any noise throughout the night, especially above Reception, please do not hesitate to contact the front desk who will deal with it accordingly.
I do hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

We only had one night to spend in York of our whirlwind 2+ week tour of the UK. None of the other major hotels would allow us less than a 2 night booking. The Holiday Inn Express does allow 1 night bookings. We found it to be clean, comfortable and located on a convenient bus route so that we could get into town to walk around. Parking is free. Back entrance with ramp to unload our luggage ourselves was handy to the elevator/lift.
Dinner service was very slow and food was just ok. I would suggest eating elsewhere for dinner. We were fine with the breakfast - not deluxe but it was plenty for us.
If I was staying longer I might have stayed inside the city wall - but that would have cost more too. For the flexibility, location, price combination it was fine.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CindyW_Texas_USA

Thank you for your kind comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here.
I have passed your comments about the adjacent Toby Carvery on to the Manager but it is in no way affilliated with the Holiday Inn Express York.
We hope you visit us again soon