“Great Location and Super Staff”

Holiday Inn Express York
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed over festive period, and can definitely recommend this hotel. The location is excellent for both York itself, and access to the surrounding countryside and coastal resorts. Scarborough is less than an hour's drive (at this time of year). The Hotel's breakfast is ample and of a good standard, the hot food (sausage, egg and baked beans), being regularly replenished. Cereals, croissants, juices, and a multi hot drinks machine, and toasters which actually brown the bread..all very good. If you want, you have trays and the hotel doesn't mind if you take your breakfast to your room. No evening meals, but there is a very good Toby Carvery (shared car park), next door...Staff both at the hotel and the carvery are excellent and couldn't be more helpful and friendly. The hotel also provides details in a folder, of local takeaway delivery services in a folder if you prefer this option, and perfect if you are on a budget or don't fancy going out..

Rooms of a high standard, as expected by this chain, with flat screen TV's, multi channels. Sky Sports available in the breakfast room/bar area. Over the Xmas period, the rooms not cleaned Christmas day as expected, but additional towels left, and always a supply of additional drinks from the breakfast bar area.

Getting into York city centre, I would recommend the local Monks Cross Park and Ride Service, about a 3 minuite drive away and currently costs £2.30 Return (going up to £2.40 soon) and run every 10 minuites. Much better than the hassle and expense of city centre car parking. Also nearby is the Monks Cross Shopping Centre, with all the major retail outlets and Asda and Sainsbury's too.

Room Tip: Just needed a quiet room myself, and got just this, at the back of the Hotel, room 109 overlooking f...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Robert H

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed overnight to go to a carol concert in York. It was a comfortable quiet stay with a good breakfast of sausage, scrambled eggs and beans available. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Nice to be out of the city overnight and it is very handy for the Monks Cross shopping centre and the Park and Ride into the city.

Room Tip: They are all great.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Borodog
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night "girly shopping" weekend with my Mum and we had a great time.
All of the staff were very pleasant and helpful, the room was very clean, comfortable and warm.
Breakfast was superb, the hot items were actually hot (which is sometimes unusual on a buffet style breakfast), croissants, muffins, toast, fruit, yogyurts and cereal - I don't know what more you would want.
The only criticism was the adjoining door in our room led to the room next door where 2 gentlemen were talking and laughing until approx 3am which kept us awake as we could hear their whole conversation - it wasn't that they were talking particularly loudly, you could just hear everything.
All in all - this is a great hotel in a fabulous location, with the park and ride literally minutes away it is a superb base for visit to York.

1  Thank SASAJS2006
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Thank you for leaving such positive feedback on your recent 'girly shopping' stay with your mum. I'm really pleased you enjoyed it!
I have shown your comments to all the staff who are pleased that you had such an enjoyable time in York.
I am glad you took advantage of the free Express Start breakfast - we are always striving for excellence in this area and it is great to see you ennoyed such a variety of food on offer.
I am sorry you were slightly disturbed by the guests in the room adjacent; we have a 24 hour reception and a quick call to the desk would have alerted our Reception who would have asked the gentlemen to quiet down. I hope we do see you again in the near future; if you do visit again, calling the front desk prior to arrival and requesting a specific room may be an advantage.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

3 of us stayed here for 1 night in early December. We were visiting at the University and so the location was ideal - just one junction further on from our normal turn off and within 5 minutes drive of the uni.
The welcome from the receptionist was really friendly and warm (I think her name was Debbie), the room was clean and comfortable. It was also amply sized for the double bed and double sofa bed - we have stayed places where the extra bed is so squashed in you can't move but there was sufficient room to move around here. The be was a bit soft for my liking but fine for one night.
Breakfast was included in our rate and there was plenty of choice although personally I would have liked to see bacon included in the hot option.
All in all a good experience and one I would consider repeating. I find it very difficult to get single night stays in York - particularly on a Saturday - and this was definitely a positive experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for leaving your feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
We try to use all feedback as constructively as possible to improve further guests' stays.
It was nice to see that you were welcomed warmly by Debbie and I know she is pleased that you have left your comments.
Our room sizes adhere to a strict policy from IHG and I am pleased that you felt you had ample room with both beds.
I am glad you took advantage of the free Express Start breakfast which is available to all guests.
Unfortunately no Holiday Inn Express hotels have bacon on their menu, but we are constantly trying to improve our breakfasts and so these comments can be passed on to the relevant departments.
I am glad that your overall experience was a positive one, and I hope we do indeed see you again very shortly.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Just returned from a one night stay. Found the staff to be great, really helpful. Room was clean & comfortable, bed a bit soft for my liking but fine for one night. We knew the hotel wasn't in the town centre bit for the price we paid for the hotel we could afford the taxi into town & back! Park & Ride also close by & the best bet at this time of year if you're wanting to get into town for shopping.

My only gripe would be that it took ages to get breakfast but this wasn't the fault of the hotel, more a family of 4 taking ages to get theirs & having no regard for other people! Tables are a bit crammed together too.

Hotel was fine for our needs & cheaper than a lot of city centre ones. I feel like some people expect too much!

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your kind feedback on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
I am really pleased you found your room to be clean and comfortable and I have passed this on to our Housekeeping department.
It was nice to see you took advantage of the nearby Park and Ride, and we do recommend it as the best way of getting into the City Centre, which is approx 10 minutes away.
I have taken on board your comments on the closeness of the tables and chairs at breakfast; we are continuously trying to improve this area and realise that we are short on space.
I am pleased that you used the free Express Start breakfast and enjoyed its variety. The family in front of you mustn't have known what to choose!
Once again, thank you for your comments, and we really hope to see you again in the New Year.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed for two nights on our first visit to York. The bus stop is seven minutes walk away but taxi is 8-10 pound into the city. The park and ride is superb and is based a couple of minutes away. £2.30 return. Buses run every 10 minutes although last bus back is 8pm. Our double room at the hotel was spotless. The shower cubicle was a lot larger than you would normally expect. Bed was very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast was adequate but dining area is completely inadequate for the number of guests. Very cos. the staff were all very friendly and helpful. All in all a good experience for the price paid

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Bryan2112
HIXYork, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express York.
I am glad you took advantage of both the Park & Ride and the local bus into York - taxi fares do range between £8 and £10.
I have passed over your kind comments on the cleanliness of your room to our Housekeeping department and they are pleased that you took the time to leave the feedback.
I am pleased you enjoyed the free Express Start breakfast during your stay, and have taken on board your comments on the size of the dining area.
Breakfast is served between 06:30 - 09:30 Monday - Friday, and 06:30 - 11:30 Saturday/Sunday, so there is plenty of time for you to enjoy your breakfast and not feel rushed. Guests also have the option of taking their breakfast to their rooms using the trays provided.
Once again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to welcome you again at Holiday Inn Express York.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Just returned from a one night stay.
There were ten of us,enjoying a pre christmas visit to York, and so we booked 5 rooms. We were all impressed with the warm welcome and subsequent dealings with the reception staff.As we arrived early not all the rooms were ready but we were able to put all our belongings into an available room. The receptionist then ordered a taxi for us and even suggested ordering a 6 and 4 seater car as that was not as expensive.
The rooms were very clean and the shower more than adequate and we were able to obtain more tea,coffee supplies simply by asking at reception.There was also a hot drinks machine in the breakfast area which dispensed tea,coffee,chocolate etc free of charge throughout the day.
The breakfast ,which is described as a continental type breakfast,was a pleasant surprise. A selection of cereals,fruit,croissants.white/brown bread, sausage,beans,scrambled eggs and fruit juice.
I have read some very negative reviews about this hotel and cannot but wonder if we all stayed at the same place!! We will certainly stay here again if we return to York

2  Thank Sheila M

Thank you for your comments on Holiday Inn Express York.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit.
I have shown our Reception team your kind comments on their warm welcoming and they are pleased you thought as much.
I am glad you used our great room during your stay and that you kept your free tea and coffee making facilities stocked up.
I am pleased you took advantage of our free Express Start breakfast; we strive to make our guests' stays as comfortable (and full-up) as possible!
Once again, thank you for taking the time to leave your review; we all hope that we see you again very shortly at Holiday Inn Express York.