“Return visit and still just as good”

Holiday Inn Express York
Ranked #26 of 47 Hotels in York
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Return visit and still just as good”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

A year and a month after our previous stay, I stayed here again for a business trip to the University of York. I'm pleased to report that the hotel hasn't changed much.

The check-in was friendly and efficient, and I was even recognised from my previous visit! Now that's a welcome and a half.

Whereas last time I stayed in a room that was just about to be refurbished, this one (245) had clearly benefitted from a recent refurbishment. Modern decor and a spotlessly clean bathroom.

Breakfast was, as before, a buffet with a decent selection of hot and cold items and it did the job admirably. The Toby Carvery next door still does a £4 cooked breakfast if you don't get on with the hotel's (free) offering.

My previous review from Jan 2013 goes into a bit more detail but it's still a great example of a Holiday Inn Express with really friendly staff. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Hebrew first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Given the terrible sleep I had this review is lucky to get 4 stars, however this is a really nice hotel overall and if you are ok sleeping on the equivalent of a wobbly jelly which sags in the middle you will be fine. But maybe if you avoid room 238 you will be ok. The pillows were likewise uncomfortable but we brought our own anyway. There were 3 of us in the room and it was reasonably spacious. My daughter said the sofabed was very comfortable and un jelly-like and everything was very clean and modern. David on reception was charming. The inn next door does a carvery for £5.99, you really can't complain about that. We had no problem getting into York the next day, we were aware that it was a bit of a drive away as we had troubled ourselves to check distances prior to making the booking. In summary, if they sort their beds out I'd be happy to return!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HIXYork, Deputy General Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear veebee54,

Thank you very much for posting a review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express York Hotel. All feedback received is used constructively to help us continually improve our hotel services and guest experience.

I am really delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. We always strive to ensure each guest is comfortable when staying with us however it can be challenging with beds/mattresses as every guest has there own bed preference and we sincerely understand this. Next time you stay with us please let a member of our reception team know if you are have any problems or queries as we are always happy to assist our guests.

Thank you for your feedback and the team and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,
Stuart Anderson
Deputy General Manager

F / HIExpressYork
T@HIExpressYork
Filey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Everything was spotlessly clean all the staff were brilliant breakfast was hot and lots to choose from.Only one problem the pillows were so uncomfortable I didn't sleep very much and my back ached all day! I would stay again but bring my own pillows.....

Room Tip: Not sure because we were in a ground floor room near reception and was very happy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Squilly845
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I've stayed here many times now and it is an excellent example of the H.I. Express brand. The staff are always friendly and efficient and exceptionally helpful. The rooms are basic but comfortable and clean. The breakfast is kept well stocked. It adjoins a popular large pub (Toby) which has a very big car park which means that guests at the hotel have plentiful parking. The hotel is close to a Park and Ride and shopping centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Kendal
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

1st time at this holiday Inn
We enjoyed every minute of our stay

All the staff were very pleasant & friendly especially Stuart if I was there as a undercover boss
Stuart would definitely get a call to head office
He was so helpful and very hard working and is a credit to the company

Well done keep up the good work

• Stayed December 2013
cleethorpes
Reviewed 25 December 2013

We spent 1 night here. I had telephoned and explained what I wanted for my husband, who is disabled. When we arrived the lady on the desk wasnt very polite and gave us a second floor room with no lift,but they did carry the case up. The room was very nice everything you could want. The next day a member of staff helped me done with the case and then my husband. I spoke to the man on the desk and he said that they had ground floor rooms available but my request hadnt been passed on from central reservations. The breakfast was pleasant.Even though we had the problem with the stairs we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Recently stayed here on a business trip. From moment we checked in to time we checked out, the experience was fantastic .Check in was faultless with a personal and friendly welcome. Room was comfortable and exceptionally clean. Staff were polite, professional and always attentive to our needs. Breakfast was excellent and a great start to each day. Would not hesitate to return here. Manager should be proud of the service they provide. Fantastic,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business