“amazing!”

Price range: US$9 - US$27
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I love this place, so cosy and food is amazing!
the staff is always smily and nice, absolutely recommended!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,065)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visited this restaurant for lunch over the weekend. It was our first visit and although York was empty, (everyone was off enjoying weddings, racehorses and sunny Summer BBQs), this lovely restaurant was still pulling the customers in.

The staff were amazing, very friendly and helpful without being overbearing. The dishes were true meals - filling and creative without being pretentious - and they were also great value for money. The restaurant interior was intimate, filled with old photos of rural Poland, plaits of dried garlic, bottles of firewater and other curious objects for you to gaze at whilst you wait and chat.

I had the beetroot gazpacho, which was a refreshing Summer soup from the specials menu. It was wonderful, very tasty with lovely flavours and quite filling too. I had a bean salad as my main. Barbican's salads offer a change from the usual chicken caesar that most restaurants bang out as their 'healthy' option. This was a filling, balanced salad and it wasn't drowned in flavour-killing dressing either, which I hate. My partner had mixed pierogis as a starter as he couldn't decide between these or the stew for the main, so the waitress suggested having both and the chef was flexible enough to oblige. Both were amazing. The bread that was served with our meal had been baked that morning. And the cakes!!! Hats off to the chef, we've been to Poland and our meal was just as good, if not better, than some of the places we tried in Warsaw and Lublin.

Barbican was a true find and we shall definitely be going back again to try their evening menu. I would recommend Barbakan for solo diners, dinner dates, couples, small groups and business lunchers. It's a peaceful, intimate restaurant but I'm sure very well behaved children would be welcome too.

1  Thank ThatGirlFromSpain
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Redeemed a LivingSocial deal here this morning
The staff ( Anna ) could not have been more friendly or welcoming
The ( English ) breakfast was beautifully cooked with garlic mushrooms and black pudding.
I know you can't really make a mess of an English breakfast but it was freshly cooked and very tasty. We looked at the menu for a further visit as the decor and ambience is very welcoming and will be returning soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I was very pleasantly surprised with Barbakan today. Good range of Polish regional dishes of the menu and at a fantastic price for the portion sizes. In the end I went for the Hungarian potato cakes and received a huge plateful for a fiver! Definite value for money. I will be returning soon for an evening meal.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Found this place, when looking for simple lunch on a Sunday. Wonderful set up, with fascinating photos, pictures and art. Shame that it was virtually empty. Waitress was very friendly and helpful. We had salads and soft drinks. Each served with home made bread - still warm. Beautiful food and nice small portions, so not over-facing. Great place and we would definitely go back.