“Very modern hostel in a perfect location!”

The Fort Boutique Hostel
Ranked #3 of 50 Speciality Lodging in York
Essex, United Kingdom
“Very modern hostel in a perfect location!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Highly recommend a stay here! A fantastic hostel in a perfect location, right in the centre of York. Rooms were a little noisy at night as the hostel is above a bar with an outside area, but this didn't affect us too much (and we were staying on a Friday and Saturday night so this was to be expected). Rooms are very modern and stylish, decent size and very clean. We had a private room with our own en-suite. They also have a kitchen and social area which is great for backpackers/travellers. Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Karen W, Guest Relations Manager at The Fort Boutique Hostel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put us a preview on Trip Advisor. Your very welcome and great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Killin, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in a 6 bedded room with ensuite, lounge and kitchen. It was like having your own flat in the middle of the old town. Couldn't have been better. Och, if I was being picky, I suppose that space to park our bikes safely would have been nice too.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank SGW229
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I personally love the Room/apartment that you stayed in too, as you said its more like a home away from home than a hostel and what a location too :)
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Very charming, I loved the artwork on all the walls, and the themes bedrooms. We stayed in the 8-bed dorm which had a space theme, and I did kind of feel like an astronaut climbing in and out of my bunk on the pipe-rails.
The mattresses in the dorms weren't particularly comfortable, and it was a little stuffy with all the people in there. But those problems were easily sorted by opening the window and sleeping on top of my duvet instead of under it.
The community kitchen/lounge area was big and clean, and the bathrooms looked very new and modern. (In fact, the fixtures all looked very similar to ones at the 5-star hotel we stayed in the next nite.)
The showers were in individual locking toilet rooms (instead of locker room style), with excellent water pressure. And the provided hair dryers were even better than the one I use at home.
Great place, great location. Whether you're traveling on the cheap, or just trying to recoop costs for a nite so you can spend lavishly the next.
(Oh, only real negative: while there is free wi-fi, it's pretty dodgy. We could only access it from the main stairwell, and the computer room. Not in the lounge, and not in the room.)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Karen W, Guest Relations Manager at The Fort Boutique Hostel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Always good to hear from our guests when they enjoy there stay. Hope you fun fun on the rest of your travels.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

It was so GREAT! I really want to go York and this Hostel again. city and hostel both so lovely!
Especially really good location (actually fantastic) The best hostel I've ever stayed. I'd love to recommend this place :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wow, great review. Thank you so much. Fantastic to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

As a regular traveller it was so nice to stay somewhere that was clean and quiet, but also in a fantastic location with great value for our money. I'd happily recommend this place to anyone and wouldn't stay anywhere else in York.

• Stayed June 2014
Karen W, Guest Relations Manager at The Fort Boutique Hostel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for the great review, lovely to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much.
Venice, Italy
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The best hostel I've ever stayed. I felt like that's more like hotel. But sadly I have to give 4star as for checking out I couldn't get the deposit money back yet. The check out time is opening from 8~10am I think? But I had to rush out around 6ish am for the train to other city. So the lady from down stair(there's a good bar&restaurant you can chill) got the key back but she couldnt give me the moeny as she no longer the hostel I guess? So I wrote the bank details but put a wrong one so sent an email to the hostel to let them know the correct one around 7days ago but still didn't get in a touch from them. So so far the staying and the facility was absoulutely beautiful but checking out is really not great so far(compare to other hostels system)

• Stayed June 2014
Karen W, Guest Relations Manager at The Fort Boutique Hostel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you so much, sounds like you really enjoyed your stay with us. Sorry there seems to have been a bit of a problem with your deposit as this is normally a very straight forward process. If you want to give us a call I'm sure we will be able to sort this out for you.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

as a 66 year old woman,,going to York alone,,I was a little scared,,having never ever stayed in a hostel,
However,100% I will go again,,,,I was in " the log cabin" sharing with 3 youngsters,,they were great,,,as also were the staff,,and the facilities provided were excellent.
A beautiful white bath towel was provided,and snowy white pillows and duvet,
Tea ,coffee,juice,ect were provided.....microwaves and toasters in two kitchens,and the wet rooms/toilet and basins,were pristine,with soap and hair dryers to boot,I could not reccommend the FORT enough,,,top notch,,10 out of 10 ...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Jean R
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and really happy that all your worries were unwarranted. I can remember talking to you at check out and you seemed like you had a lovely time with us and the other guests. Please come and visit us again sometime and hopefully you will get to enjoy the bits of our beautiful city that you never got to see while you were working.