“birthday stay”

Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in York
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“birthday stay”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband had booked 2 nights at the hotel as a birthday suprise. The room ( room 12) was large and very quiet as situated at the rear of hotel. The room was furnished to a good standard and the bathroom was large and very clean ,the beds were lovely and comfortable. The staff were very pleasant, helpful and friendly.We dinned in the Ivy Brasserie the first night although the food was very good and the service exellent, the atmosphere was very bland. As hotel guests we thought paying a service charge on the food bill was a bit of a cheek !!! Although we had full breakfast , choice for continental option was VERY sparse. Would stay at this hotel if visiting York again as location is excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of hotel as busy road at the front.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased to learn of your enjoyable birthday stay at The Grange. I am also pleased that the level of service, hospitality and cuisine provided met with your approval. As always I listen to what guests say and as you mentioned the sparse selection of the continental breakfast I am reviewing the selection on offer, however please note that as our rates are inclusive of Full Yorkshire (English) Breakfast most guests opt for the latter selection.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future

Regards

George Briffa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
West Midlands
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed here for a short break in York. The hotel is far enough from the city centre to be away from the city centre bustle, but close enough to walk in. The rooms were clean and tidy, the staff were friendly and we enjoyed our stay. However, you have a feeling that the hotel ought to be better and it just misses somewhere - can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps the level of service is more large hotel chain and this is an individual hotel where you expect that little extra. Having said that we would happlily stay here again when visiting York.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor.

Although I am delighted to read you will be happy to stay at The Grange again I am rather inquisitive as to what else we could do to make guests more comfortable. As you stated we are a privately owned hotel and I will welcome any suggestions at gm@grangehotel.co.uk no matter how small they are.

I very much look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future

Best wishes

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Does it deserve 2 rosettes. Food adverage, not much choice in the menu, particularly the desserts, and 'soup of the day' was the same every evening (we stayed 4 nights). No atmosphere, and as a hotel guest, paying a service charge, what a "rip off".

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you found our cuisine to be average. We hardly ever get negative comments about the aforementioned; with two restaurants o site we normally meet most guests’ expectations and go as far to say that some guests even commented on how extensive the selection is, however there is no excuse as to why we had the same soup on four consecutive nights. I already mentioned this to the chef as it is not acceptable.

I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor. I wish you brought the above to the management attention as we could have addressed it immediately

Yours

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I stayed at The Grange Hotel in York for business and the hotel itself is full of old world charm. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the food 9I had room service) was also very good. I would advise anyone booking this hotel to request NOT to stay in room 13. i can honestly say I had a terrible nigts sleep which was due to all the creaking floor boards as people above me walked about. It sounds very silly but i can assure you it sounded like I was trying to sleep in a subway under a railway line or something. The staff were very sweet about the issue but there were no spare rooms so I had o put up with it.

Room Tip: Not room 13!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahlew
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable stay with us. Having inspected the floor boards they are slightly noisy and in due course we will endeavour to remedy the noise.

I am pleased to read that the cuisine, the level of service and hospitality provided met with your approval.

Hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future.

Yours

Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We had one night at the hotel, wish I had two. My first impression was OLD, but as we moved on in I realised that it was in good shape, it was just the original style was maintained. We had requested two single beds in one of the rooms. Upon arrival at the hotel this was not done, but very quickly rectified once we notified the front desk.
The resturant at the hotel was AMAZING! We had dinner there and we all enjoyed what we ordered and the serving staff were very warm and friendly. We were the last table and they did not hustle us out so that they could go home.
The hotel is easily within walking distance to all the sites (10 mins), yet far enough away for peace & quiet of a small town.

Room Tip: The single room is VERY small, bt well put together. If you have confinment issues, don't book t...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear of your enjoyable stay and the level of service, hospitality and cuisine met with your approval.

We hope to have to pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future

Best

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Excellent hotel, the room we stayed in was better than we anticipated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate in the Ivy Brasserie and the quality of food was excellent. We were welcomed like family and the staff were courteous and obliging. Definitely worth another visit, we will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 10, it was at the back of the hotel and so was very quiet. The bed was very comfor...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor

I am delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay and we surpassed your expectation – it is our ongoing mission.

I am also delighted to read that the level of service, hospitality and cuisine met with your approval.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future

Best wishes

Widnes
Reviewed 31 August 2011

we really enjoyed our stay here, we paid a little bit extra to stay in a nicer hotel as it was a special trip way, really glad we did.
very nice.
Would recommend to friends.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at The Grange Hotel.

Thank you also for commenting about recommend The Grange to friends

Hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Regards