“Fantastic”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed here at the beginning of the year (2012) with my new wife on our wedding night. The staff were fantastic from the word go, allowing me to use an empty room to change in in the morning, and they accomodated all our alterations to the wedding party, which included dwindling numbers and date changes.

The room, which was a four poster (room 20), was beautiful. It was very large, as was the bathroom, with a large bath suitable for a 6'4" chap like myself. The place was full of antique furniture, which, was slightly worn but this only added to the country house character of the building. My wife and I loved it and will almost certainly be returning. Thank you to Grange Hotel.

Room Tip: 4 poster bed rooms seem to be larger and better appointed, the standard double rooms are a little mo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have stayed at The Grange on a number of occasions, including family celebrations and it remains our favourite hotel. Every December, I stay for a few nights with my Mother and we do all our Christmas shopping in York. The Grange is so convenient, just a short stroll from the Minster and the centre of York. The hotel is a beautiful old Georgian house which has retained all the original features and yet the rooms have all the modern requirements expected in the 21st century. The staff are so helpful, friendly and efficient. Every request is met with a cheerful helpfulness. Because we stay often, it feels like coming home and we feel welcomed and cared for. which is a rare feeling today! The staff are very proud of their hotel and enjoy showing you round and telling you about the hotel's history - which they all seem to know about! The sitting room is beautiful and there is always a fire lit in there, making it warm and comfortable. The food is excellent, especially breakfast! I would never dream of staying anywhere else in York.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the front of the hotel, there is a little traffic noise at rush hour if the wind...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Booked a table of nine at The Ivy Brasserie to celebrate my sons 18th birthday with family on the 17th December

The starters were perfect - just what you would expect from a restaurant with two rosettes. It went quickly down hill from there. The service was very slow and when the main courses finally arrived all were on cold plates. Three people had ordered rump of lamb which was uncooked in the middle - the waitress who was very apologetic confirmed they were raw in the middle. A medium rare steak (which should be pink in the middle?) had been cremated. The dishes were sent back which after a long wait did arrive perfectly cooked.

After ordering sweets we had another very long wait - five apple crumbles arrived stone cold. The waitress who was even more apologetic took them back and we had a further long wait during which a waiter asked those that were sat politely with their choice in front of them waiting for the apple crumbles to come back hot whether they had finished. The Apple crumbles then arrived back - thankfully hot - and we're served at the same time as coffee was served.

Having asked to see a manger the wine waiter appeared and asked if I could leave a number so one could call me. We did this but no one called so I e-mailed the general manager to give them an opportunity to get in touch before I resorted to a negative review. I am still waiting forthe call.

Over the years I have recommended this hotel to quite a few people. I could accept that we had a one off bad experience if we had got a call as we had been promised but unfortunately it seems the hotel doesn't care so my recommendation to anyone will be go somewhere else in future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our second Christmas visit to The Grange, a lovely, Georgian Hotel, only 10 minutes stroll to York Minster, within the walls of this fascinating city.

This year was even better than the first, with excellent food and service to accompany the very comfortable (and newly re-furbished) room. It was so pleasant - and, unlike what is, regrettably, an all too often experience elsewhere - to be greeted with smiling staff wherever we were, and whatever our request. This is definitely a can-do hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park, if you want to be absolutely free from traffic. Some rooms...
2  Thank Keith H
Reviewed 1 January 2012

First of all it must be said that the staff are friendly, polite and try to be accommodating - but that is where it ends. Breakfast was truly dreadful with slow service and cold food which when sent back was returned in exactly the same condition. Not good.
The room was not at the standard expected for the price. Whilst the bathroom was quite spacious, the room itself was cramped and the heating took ages to kick in (as did hot water) making it uncomfortable. And it certainly isn't acceptable to leave dirty linen bags at the top of stairs in various places - first impressions mean a lot!
So overall poor I'm afraid and we won't be returning or recommend to friends that they stay here in any visit they may undertake to the lovely city of York.

1  Thank Stewart B
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Grange. I am grateful for praising the staff – Thank You.

I am so very sorry to hear of the breakfast issue it is certainly not the norm as the other reviews state.

I would have liked the opportunity to discuss the bedroom’s standard personally and I suspect that you booked one of our smaller bedrooms. We are constantly praised for the quality of accommodation The Grange offers. The Grange has 5 different types of bedrooms and the tariff is dictated by the standard of each category.

As to the linen, again I suspect that you arrived during the servicing of the bedrooms hence the reason why we state that check in is from 2.00pm to give us the opportunity to ensure that such linen is stored away. The heating in most of the 36 bedrooms is by electric radiators and usually they produce immediate heat.

It is a shame you did not bring these issues to the duty manager’s attention during your stay as I am positive we would have addressed them immediately. I take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Yours

George Briffa

Reviewed 25 December 2011

A very good 1 night stay for the 4 of us. The porter was very helpful when we arrived with the bags and they opened the NY restaurant 30 minutes early for us so we could get to the theatre in time. Food was excellent as was Breakfast. Staff very friendly and difficult to fault although not the cheapest, worth staying.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at The Grange Hotel, during the weekend before Christmas 2011. Service at the hotel was polished and professional ~ due to the staff and the highly visible General Manager (Mr Briffa), who clearly took pride in his work and the service to the guests, and ensured a highly presentable appearance of the hotel. Our room was excellent ~spacious, clean, well-serviced and the bath towels were exceptionally large and fluffy. Regrettably, we weren't able to book a table at the hotel's finest restaurant: "The Ivy" (as we had left it too late). Nevertheless, we had a pleasant meal in their basement restaurant: "New York Grill" and sampled their various cocktails! If there was one negative, it was the cold plate on which breakfast was served on our first morning (making the food lukewarm) ~ but this was corrected on the second day, after we had pointed it out. We would recommend the hotel to others, except that we intend to return, and don’t wish the hotel to be full and prevent us from coming back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel and away from reception and the restaurant are (clearly) going to be...