“terrible food & service”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #25 of 47 Hotels in York
yorkshire
“terrible food & service”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

my work colleagues and i recently went for a private dine for someones retirement do/post x-mas meal,to the Grange. I had dined there before in the past and always had excellent service & standard of food.However this time 'oh my god' what a shambles,
We had pre-ordered our food as there were alot of us,sat down to eat at 8pm,didnt get our starters until 8.40 pm,some members of our group had to ask for soup spoons & had to wait until the soup was practically cold before they got them.
I had red mine poured into a small water glass instead fo the larger wine glass provided,we all had to ask the 2 waiting staff several times for top ups of both wine & water,and had to wait ages for this to happen.
Our next course was served an hour later,having only had a small glasss of red wine & no water,we were getting rather hungry & thirsty, the 2 waitresses didnt care at all,no apologies,then as the mains came out they just plonked the plates rather rudely in front of us all,again we had to wait for vegetables to arrive whilst our mains got cold,my turkey was almost inedible,so dry & cold,it actually had a more chicken flavour to it,another member of our party had rather pink looking turkey which was inedible,no waitresses came back to check if everything was ok,so we were unable to tell them there was a prob,yet again another hour wait for deserts & had to ask for top up of wine & water,we were so appalled by the lack of customer service it started to become a joke,the attitude of the waiting staff was appalling,they really didnt care,apologise or respond what so ever.
I hope Mr & Mrs C astle the owners are made aware of such poor service & terrible food,my how standards have slipped at The Grange, I certainly won't be returning or recommending the place,in fact i will be telling my friends to avoid at all costs,never been treated so badly in all my life.POOR POOR POOR

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank couple05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My partner arranged a surprise birthday weekend away for me last year at the Grange Hotel, following our previous stay in York when we both fell in love with with beautiful city (especially at Christmas, spectacular festive trip for some indulgent and stress free Christmas shopping!) The service we received at the Grange made for a wonderful weekend away, as my boyfriend had arranged for flowers, balloons and wine to be in the room for our arrival, which were a wonderful surprise and the lady on reception was so helpful and friendly. The room was heavenly with a huge bathroom and big comfy four poster bed, and the hotel itself was beautiful. We enjoyed a delicious continental breakfast in the morning- again served by friendly staff. We were provided with very useful information from the reception staff as to where to wine and dine. We will definitely return for some more luxury pampering, I'm holding out high hopes for this year's birthday! Thank you to everybody at the Grange for such brilliant service

• Stayed February 2011
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I stayed here at the beginning of the year (2012) with my new wife on our wedding night. The staff were fantastic from the word go, allowing me to use an empty room to change in in the morning, and they accomodated all our alterations to the wedding party, which included dwindling numbers and date changes.

The room, which was a four poster (room 20), was beautiful. It was very large, as was the bathroom, with a large bath suitable for a 6'4" chap like myself. The place was full of antique furniture, which, was slightly worn but this only added to the country house character of the building. My wife and I loved it and will almost certainly be returning. Thank you to Grange Hotel.

Room Tip: 4 poster bed rooms seem to be larger and better appointed, the standard double rooms are a little mo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Henley-in-Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have stayed at The Grange on a number of occasions, including family celebrations and it remains our favourite hotel. Every December, I stay for a few nights with my Mother and we do all our Christmas shopping in York. The Grange is so convenient, just a short stroll from the Minster and the centre of York. The hotel is a beautiful old Georgian house which has retained all the original features and yet the rooms have all the modern requirements expected in the 21st century. The staff are so helpful, friendly and efficient. Every request is met with a cheerful helpfulness. Because we stay often, it feels like coming home and we feel welcomed and cared for. which is a rare feeling today! The staff are very proud of their hotel and enjoy showing you round and telling you about the hotel's history - which they all seem to know about! The sitting room is beautiful and there is always a fire lit in there, making it warm and comfortable. The food is excellent, especially breakfast! I would never dream of staying anywhere else in York.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the front of the hotel, there is a little traffic noise at rush hour if the wind...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Booked a table of nine at The Ivy Brasserie to celebrate my sons 18th birthday with family on the 17th December

The starters were perfect - just what you would expect from a restaurant with two rosettes. It went quickly down hill from there. The service was very slow and when the main courses finally arrived all were on cold plates. Three people had ordered rump of lamb which was uncooked in the middle - the waitress who was very apologetic confirmed they were raw in the middle. A medium rare steak (which should be pink in the middle?) had been cremated. The dishes were sent back which after a long wait did arrive perfectly cooked.

After ordering sweets we had another very long wait - five apple crumbles arrived stone cold. The waitress who was even more apologetic took them back and we had a further long wait during which a waiter asked those that were sat politely with their choice in front of them waiting for the apple crumbles to come back hot whether they had finished. The Apple crumbles then arrived back - thankfully hot - and we're served at the same time as coffee was served.

Having asked to see a manger the wine waiter appeared and asked if I could leave a number so one could call me. We did this but no one called so I e-mailed the general manager to give them an opportunity to get in touch before I resorted to a negative review. I am still waiting forthe call.

Over the years I have recommended this hotel to quite a few people. I could accept that we had a one off bad experience if we had got a call as we had been promised but unfortunately it seems the hotel doesn't care so my recommendation to anyone will be go somewhere else in future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Quorn, Loughborough
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our second Christmas visit to The Grange, a lovely, Georgian Hotel, only 10 minutes stroll to York Minster, within the walls of this fascinating city.

This year was even better than the first, with excellent food and service to accompany the very comfortable (and newly re-furbished) room. It was so pleasant - and, unlike what is, regrettably, an all too often experience elsewhere - to be greeted with smiling staff wherever we were, and whatever our request. This is definitely a can-do hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park, if you want to be absolutely free from traffic. Some rooms...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keith H
Blisland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

First of all it must be said that the staff are friendly, polite and try to be accommodating - but that is where it ends. Breakfast was truly dreadful with slow service and cold food which when sent back was returned in exactly the same condition. Not good.
The room was not at the standard expected for the price. Whilst the bathroom was quite spacious, the room itself was cramped and the heating took ages to kick in (as did hot water) making it uncomfortable. And it certainly isn't acceptable to leave dirty linen bags at the top of stairs in various places - first impressions mean a lot!
So overall poor I'm afraid and we won't be returning or recommend to friends that they stay here in any visit they may undertake to the lovely city of York.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stewart B
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Grange. I am grateful for praising the staff – Thank You.

I am so very sorry to hear of the breakfast issue it is certainly not the norm as the other reviews state.

I would have liked the opportunity to discuss the bedroom’s standard personally and I suspect that you booked one of our smaller bedrooms. We are constantly praised for the quality of accommodation The Grange offers. The Grange has 5 different types of bedrooms and the tariff is dictated by the standard of each category.

As to the linen, again I suspect that you arrived during the servicing of the bedrooms hence the reason why we state that check in is from 2.00pm to give us the opportunity to ensure that such linen is stored away. The heating in most of the 36 bedrooms is by electric radiators and usually they produce immediate heat.

It is a shame you did not bring these issues to the duty manager’s attention during your stay as I am positive we would have addressed them immediately. I take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Yours