“Great hotel, tremendous service, fantastic staff”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Grange Hotel York for a weekend break. The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was great. However the most impressive part of the stay was the staff. Everyone we met could not have been more helpful or more friendly. All of the staff really seemed to be enjoying their work. I inadvertently left my phone in the room when we left. The hotel contacted me to let me know and then arranged for the phone to be sent to my office the next day. The phone was carefully wrapped to prevent damage. The hotel only charged me the £5.90 postage. I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Paullees
Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

With a ground floor room due to mobility issues & despite being near Reception, once the inner door was closed I heard very little 'hotel noise' and had some of the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel. The service was very restrained, run almost ghost-like, but efficient friendly staff (especially the porter!) magically appeared when needed.

The food & wine in both restaurants were excellent; the carrot dessert that I had in the New York Grill the best I can remember - and will remain in my memory for years to come!

A five - ten minute walk up the Georgian housed Clifton, it was perfectly located for the Minster and the main sites of city centre York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear very, very quiet. If in a wheelchair, unload at the front and ask for the portable...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Beautiful hotel with excellent caring staff, nothing was too much trouble.Having just returned from our over night stay at this lovely hotel, orginally was taken by what was on offer for Burns night then decided to stay over night....We had no issues that needed to be dealt with and enjoyed our food in the evening with a traditional piper in full scottish dress with an excellent meal served it was faultless
Our breakfast was served with great local fayre on offer and again was served to the highest standard.
We will be returning to this establishment sooner rather than later......Great value for money.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Excellent experience- relaxing atmosphere, nothing too much trouble for the staff, important extras like fresh milk in the room & teapot, comfortable and clean, warm, good for travelling alone or in company, good for business or a holiday break, the food was superb,

the only not so perfect -not a very good remote control for the television - for options, no slippers with the bathrobes, otherwise perfect!

Room Tip: premier are good but expensive
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Firstly I went to look round the Grange hotel, I had done everything correctly by booking an appointment and I was told to ask for the duty manager. I got to the hotel about 10 minutes before the appointment and went to the reception and asked for the duty manager, I then stood and waited with my family. I overheard the receptionist speaking to the duty manager to say we were here, and then the duty manager saying “you’ll have to get John as I am busy with an actual wedding”. Not a very nice thing to have overheard but nevertheless John was very helpful and showed us round, unfortunately John didn’t have the answers to all our questions which was understandable, hence the appointment with the duty manager. Anyway we loved the hotel, and I made an appointment to see the wedding coordinator, who again was very helpful and we ended up booking the hotel. I paid the deposit and signed the contracts, all was going very well until, my father died suddenly on the 18th December 2011, I might add my wedding date was the 28th December 2012. As I am sure you can understand I then didn’t want to go ahead with the wedding certainly not on the 28th December 2012. I have since then been fighting to get my deposit back, I have even enlisted the help from another General Manager who I used to work with to see if he could help. Every time I contact the hotel I am told that there is no one there who can make that decision, the most I have had from the hotel is that they are sympathetic but I did sign the contracts. They will on this occasion transfer and keep the deposit until the end of 2013. Now what they seem to be failing to understand is the association with the hotel, this was where I went to look round with my Dad, and now I would like to get married somewhere without that association. Now I do appreciate that I did sign the contracts but what I cannot understand is under these circumstances why the Grange are not willing to help another person who is going through such a difficult time. I have offered to bring in proof, as in the death certificate of my father, even this won’t sway them. I have had email conversations back and forth for going on a month now, various telephone conversations and still nothing. I have even said I could fully understand an administration fee, for their time and effort. Now I know legally there is nothing I can do, but under such sad circumstances I would have thought that the Grange would be more willing to help me, it is a very difficult time as it is. I feel this matter has not been dealt with professionally, or sympathetically. The hotel have simply profiteered on the back of my misery.

7  Thank Libbey1
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

If there is one element in the living history of human beings that I detest most is when the whole truth is not stated. Clearly this review is so inaccurate that is laughable. Readers, please do not think I have not been sympathetic with this reviewer after the great loss of her father as my staff and I have tried to resolve this situation as amicably as possible. This reviewer;

1. Never mentioned anything to anyone what happened prior to booking the wedding.
2. The questions that she asked John could only relate to items that are not the norm. John has been with the company since its inception some 23 years ago, during his time here John carried out hundreds if not thousands of Wedding Showrounds since; I’ll leave it up to you to conclude what questions John could not answer
3.Her calls were answered and the only time she could not get the answer she was looking for is when I was off duty; she was also told this by my staff. It obviously sounds that she was expecting me to be on duty 24/7
4. Did not stay in the hotel at all
5. Offered her numerous options of how to use her deposit.
6. The enlisted General Manager is in fact General Managers, they all said what I offered was more than they would have offered.
7. She demanded her money back the morning after she buried her father. I was shocked to hear that she made such a quick decision.

Need I say more?

George Briffa

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in your hotel. We found your reception staff to be very welcoming, helpful and efficient. The layout and decor of the hotel is beautiful, and we were very pleased with our room. The lounge area with the open fire was particularly enjoyable for taking coffee in the afternoon, or drinks in the evening. Bar and waiting staff were also very courteous and keen to help.

The breakfast was very good, both in terms of selection and overall quality. The service was acceptable, but perhaps a bit slower than one might expect. A key indicator (at least for me) of the quality of a hotel dining area is the quality of the coffee; it was most enjoyable, but it could have arrived a bit sooner.

York is, in my opinion, Britain's finest city (I am from Leeds, so not excessively biased), and such a city requires fine hotels: The Grange is exactly that, an excellent hotel. The value for money is remarkable given the quality and the location close to the Minster. If we have to cause to stay again in York, which I sincerely hope that we do, then we will certainly book this hotel.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 13 January 2012

the grange hotel was wonderful very clean and in a perfect location with its own private car park which was even better. the staff could not do anymore to help you and they are all very polite and friendly. The room was so clean and The most wonderful 4 poster bed! I have never slept on a bed so comfortable. I would highly recommend anyone to style here. Jackie

• Stayed: January 2012