“If you're looking for great food & great service.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in York
Ashford, England, United Kingdom
“If you're looking for great food & great service.....”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

...look no further than The Grange Hotel in York where I stayed in Feb 2012. The staff went out of their way to provide a great service and nothing was too much trouble.
My bedding was changed to hypoallergenic quilt & pillows within about 15 minutes of my request and I also received a courtesy call to check that everything was to my satisfaction.
The quality of the food in the New York Grill was outstanding, and I had the best steak I have had in a very long time.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay the The Grange again as I was very impressed by the service & the food.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Jackie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Wakefield
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay this weekend, we were upgraded to the suite at no extra cost and this was really beautiful. The staff were really helpful even putting the fire on in the suite's living room so we wouldn't be cold after coming out of the beautiful sitting room with the open coal fire!

One small snag, we waited one hour for breakfast the head waiter (I think) after I had asked if we could give him our breakfast order told me "Well, I will take it if you want but you will have a long wait because the chef is not taking any more orders at the moment because he is rushed off his feet" Pardon me, but I am sure this could have been handled better and found him to be quite rude.

Apart from that the stay was wonderful, great hotel and courteous staff (apart from the man in the restaurant)

Thank you everyone else!

Room Tip: The suite!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaWakefield
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Business Stay away made very enjoyable by a very comfortabel hotel and outstanding in house restaurant.
Very welcoming with sumptuous sofas and a log fire burning away in the ground floor library, with the evocative smell wafting through to reception.
Lovely room with a brand new bathroom, filled with quality toiletries.
Staff very helpful.
Checked out the ground floor restaurant but to be honest the starters did not appeal, so headed downstairs to teh New York Grill in the basement..
Great decision as the food was simply wonderful, with the best ribs I have tasted outside of Kentucky. Desserts were all unique and appetisingly enticing, but had to choose just one.
Settled on the brownie with peantut butter ice cream - One of the best desserts I have had in my life. A truly great meal, unexpected on a quiet midweek night with just a handful of people in the restaurant.
Breakfast in the morning was equally impressive with a fine selection of dishes to choose from.
Highly recommended and would be my first port of call if in York again.
The room rack rates were a little pricey but the online rates available were reasonable.

Room Tip: Go for a full ensuite.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David X
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

A Monday night away from home on business can be a dull affair. It was not so at The Grange. Its a hotel full of character, and boasting an excellent restaurant. I enjoyed a seafood starter and roast pork main course. Both were delicious and the single glass of red wine chosen to accompany was so delicious I asked to see the label and have ordered some for home. I was pleasantly surprised to see others dining too. It added a nice buzz to the low lighting and friendly atmosphere. I commented to my colleague that its the sort of place where you might ask your girlfriend to marry you. I really enjoyed it, and am happy to recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TheJonesGangOnTour
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Grange Hotel York for a weekend break. The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was great. However the most impressive part of the stay was the staff. Everyone we met could not have been more helpful or more friendly. All of the staff really seemed to be enjoying their work. I inadvertently left my phone in the room when we left. The hotel contacted me to let me know and then arranged for the phone to be sent to my office the next day. The phone was carefully wrapped to prevent damage. The hotel only charged me the £5.90 postage. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paullees
Suffolk, Uk
Reviewed 24 January 2012

With a ground floor room due to mobility issues & despite being near Reception, once the inner door was closed I heard very little 'hotel noise' and had some of the best nights sleep I've had in a hotel. The service was very restrained, run almost ghost-like, but efficient friendly staff (especially the porter!) magically appeared when needed.

The food & wine in both restaurants were excellent; the carrot dessert that I had in the New York Grill the best I can remember - and will remain in my memory for years to come!

A five - ten minute walk up the Georgian housed Clifton, it was perfectly located for the Minster and the main sites of city centre York.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear very, very quiet. If in a wheelchair, unload at the front and ask for the portable...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
durham
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Beautiful hotel with excellent caring staff, nothing was too much trouble.Having just returned from our over night stay at this lovely hotel, orginally was taken by what was on offer for Burns night then decided to stay over night....We had no issues that needed to be dealt with and enjoyed our food in the evening with a traditional piper in full scottish dress with an excellent meal served it was faultless
Our breakfast was served with great local fayre on offer and again was served to the highest standard.
We will be returning to this establishment sooner rather than later......Great value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple