“Lovely hotel with fantastic staff & great food”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We will definitely recommend this hotel and definitely stay there again - especially to eat there!
The Grange has a great location just outside the city walls a very short walk from the Minster. It is a beautiful grand old building with a lovely atmosphere and ambience.
The rooms are quite small but are well equipped and very comfortable, this must be the most comfortable bed i have ever had in a hotel and the linens, duvet and pillows were all high quality.
We ate in both the restaurants in the hotel and the food is of a VERY high standard in both and it is clear from evening meals and from breakfast that they source excellent fresh produce.
All the staff in the hotel were lovely and very responsive to our needs. The hotel uses a lot of young staff and whilst they were all very friendly, positive and enthusiastic i felt the hotel could do more to reach their potential as there were clearly areas where they were out of their depth especially in the restaurant, which was a shame because it was not my view they lacked capability.
The hotel has no lift and whilst it has a lovely and eager concierge he is not always there and so my 70 year old mother in law was left to carry her own case up 2 floors as she arrived before us.
All in all this hotel looks and feels beautiful and i defy you to have a bad stay there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back and on an upper floor as it is an old building and therefore has sqeaky fl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,286)

997 - 1,003 of 1,287 reviews

Reviewed 9 March 2012

This is the first time i have ever written a review but I had to for The Grange Hotel. My wife and I stayed at the Grange Hotel from 25th February until the 2nd of March 2012. What an absolute fantastic and brilliant time that we had. As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were made to feel so special. Our room was brilliant, clean, bright and very airy, the bathroom was well equipped and very large. On our first night there we had a meal in their restaurant The Ivy Brasserie, the meal was fantastic and the staff were incredible. I have eaten in lots of restaurants but this is in my top 3 of all time.

Over the six nights that we were there every member of staff were fabulous, they would always pass the time of day with you and if you asked for anything or had a request it was done and you did not feel that you were troubling them. It is very rare to find service like this in Britain.

So if you want to book a hotel in York book the Grange you may pay slightly more but it worth it as this cannot be compared to those chain of hotels, this hotel has a personality all of its own and its location is fabulous a 5 minute walk from the Minster. Thankyou to everybody at the Grange.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Guests

A while ago I decided not to reply to positive reviews as I feared becoming rather monotonous in my replies. However I could not resist replying to your review to compliment you on your fabulous review.

Thank you not only to you but also to those guests who have posted similar reviews. I am sure the team will read these and join me in expressing our gratitude for taking the time to place a review on TripAdvisor.

We also hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to The Grange in the very near future

Best wishes

George Briffa

Reviewed 27 February 2012

It was a pleasure to stay in a hotel where all the staff, without exception, wwere extremly friendly and despite working hard very happy in their work. The hotel is very close to the centre of York and an ideal base for walking round York or driving around the wonderful countryside nearby. The food in both of the reatsaurants was good modern British with daily specials. Pricing given its location and service level is very reasonable.

1  Thank Malcolm J
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked the Grange for our Wedding Anniversary. When I phoned to book I advised of this and was told that the cheaper room was very small so we paid the higher rate for a double or king size room. We had a lovely evening out in York but when we went to bed late that evening we were very disappointed to realise that we didn't have a double bed, but two single beds pushed together. When we spoke to the Duty Manager about this the following morning he was very sympathetic and did refund us some money because we were misled when we booked. Nevertheless we were disappointed that what was meant to be a luxurious night away, ended up being an uncomfortable one!

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Eli G
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that the ziplink beds did not meet with your approval. I assure you that most hotels utilise these beds to give the option of either having a twin or a double. It is a shame you were allocated one of these bedrooms even though due to availability and celebration we upgraded you from standard double to a king size bedroom free of charge, we should have been more selective when allocating the bedrooms.

I am obviously delighted to learn that the duty manager was sympathetic towards the issue ending rewarding you with a further discount

I am sorry for somewhat spoiling your celebrations

Yours sincerely

George Briffa

Reviewed 13 February 2012

...look no further than The Grange Hotel in York where I stayed in Feb 2012. The staff went out of their way to provide a great service and nothing was too much trouble.
My bedding was changed to hypoallergenic quilt & pillows within about 15 minutes of my request and I also received a courtesy call to check that everything was to my satisfaction.
The quality of the food in the New York Grill was outstanding, and I had the best steak I have had in a very long time.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay the The Grange again as I was very impressed by the service & the food.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Jackie W
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We really enjoyed our stay this weekend, we were upgraded to the suite at no extra cost and this was really beautiful. The staff were really helpful even putting the fire on in the suite's living room so we wouldn't be cold after coming out of the beautiful sitting room with the open coal fire!

One small snag, we waited one hour for breakfast the head waiter (I think) after I had asked if we could give him our breakfast order told me "Well, I will take it if you want but you will have a long wait because the chef is not taking any more orders at the moment because he is rushed off his feet" Pardon me, but I am sure this could have been handled better and found him to be quite rude.

Apart from that the stay was wonderful, great hotel and courteous staff (apart from the man in the restaurant)

Thank you everyone else!

Room Tip: The suite!
1  Thank LindaWakefield
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Business Stay away made very enjoyable by a very comfortabel hotel and outstanding in house restaurant.
Very welcoming with sumptuous sofas and a log fire burning away in the ground floor library, with the evocative smell wafting through to reception.
Lovely room with a brand new bathroom, filled with quality toiletries.
Staff very helpful.
Checked out the ground floor restaurant but to be honest the starters did not appeal, so headed downstairs to teh New York Grill in the basement..
Great decision as the food was simply wonderful, with the best ribs I have tasted outside of Kentucky. Desserts were all unique and appetisingly enticing, but had to choose just one.
Settled on the brownie with peantut butter ice cream - One of the best desserts I have had in my life. A truly great meal, unexpected on a quiet midweek night with just a handful of people in the restaurant.
Breakfast in the morning was equally impressive with a fine selection of dishes to choose from.
Highly recommended and would be my first port of call if in York again.
The room rack rates were a little pricey but the online rates available were reasonable.

Room Tip: Go for a full ensuite.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business