“Absolutely Disgusted!”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Disgusted!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I booked a one night stay at the Grange Hotel in York, which has a booking in time from 2.30pm but were advised on the telephone when booking that if we arrived early we could leave our luggage. We arrived at the hotel at approx 2pm after a three hour drive, expecting to leave our bags then go and enjoy the afternoon sight seeing. On arrival at reception we gave our name and the receptionist stated, in a very matter of fact tone that there were some maintenance issues with our room and that we had been booked into another hotel. She then promptly thrust a google map at us with directions and advised us that the other hotel were expecting us. When I asked what if we didnt like the hotel they had booked us into, she stated that we would still have to pay the full cost as she had booked the alternative hotel at the same rate that the Grange were charging, which was £173.00 per night. Not particularly happy with the situation but mostly with the hostile, dismissive attitude of the receptionist, I asked how far it was and told her that I most certainly would not be paying if I did not like the hotel as I had not booked to stay there and had turned up for my booking at the Grange and therefore would not accept a cancellation fee. She said the alternative hotel was just on the other side of the city centre but was the same distance from the centre of York as the Grange is ie: walking distance and that if I wasn't happy to pay a cancellation fee I would have to take it up with the manager at the hotel she had booked us in to (ie: not our problem, off you go! - we were practically ushered out of the door). On finally arriving at the alternative Hotel (receptionist there was very friendly and lovely to deal with!) we discovered that whilst the Grange is a maximum 5-10min walk into the centre (which was the main reason we booked to stay there in the first place, for proximity), the alternive was, in the hotels words " a good 45 minute walk into town". After speaking to the manager at the Grange via telephone to say it was too far out of town, he advised it was the only hotel available and that he would get his staff ringing around for a B&B nearer. We stayed at the alternative hotel (enjoying a complimentary coffee, lovely, but not what we had intended to do with our day in York) for about another 45 minutes before finally leaving. We drove around the centre for a few hours looking for something close to town before finally admitting defeat and driving the 3 hours home. The manager of the Grange had said that he had been trying to call us all day to let us know there was a problem. We did not have one missed call on our phone. We are certainly not difficult to please, but the dismissive service received from The Grange Hotel staff was literally disgusting and has led me to write this review. I have never before written a negative review on any trip I have taken, but felt so shocked at the way in which we were treated that I felt compelled to share my experience and say, travellers beware, if you want a definate booking and don't want to travel home rather than enjoy your weekend in York, then DO NOT book this hotel!! What was supposed to be a special occassion was completely ruined. PS: I can highly recommend Marmadukes, lovely accomodation and fabulous staff!

Room Tip: You'll be lucky to get to see your room, the best room would be one in another Hotel.
12 Thank Emma164
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear Guest

I must firstly and foremost apologise for all the inconvenience caused.

I can find no reason whatsoever to justify the behaviour of my receptionist. Rest assured that upon her return for duty next week a full investigation will be carried out and if deemed right she will be reprimanded. There is no way I will tolerate such behaviour from any members of the team. As the reviews including the above states we are normally highly recommended for our friendliness, hospitality and service. Again a huge apology!

You may remember I spoke to your husband/partner personally; I like to think that I came across very apologetic for not being able to accommodate you at The Grange due to the flooding of the allocated bedroom.

As this is your first review on TripAdvisor you might like to know that the hotel I booked you in is the Number one 4 Red Stars (Not black as The Grange) hotel on this site and in fact in York, there was also a bottle of champagne on order with my compliments if you decided to stay. I do appreciate that the alternative hotel was some 10 minutes walk further from the City centre; but that was my only alternative in a 4 star hotel.

With regards to the phone calls we made. As I mentioned to you I personally called you four times and as you only disclosed your landline telephone number I presumed you had already left. Had you disclosed your mobile number I would have certainly contacted you on your mobile.

Again I profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Yours

George Briffa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The Grange is a lovely property with fine facilities within an easy walk of York town centre. However, we were a touch dismayed when the promised wifi didn't work and the front desk basically ignored our complaints. We were told first that the signal was weak in the room we were in (we were in room 35) and then told that it didn't work on any Apple products (which was a surprise to us, traveling with an iPad, iPhone and macBook). I don't like to be told that a fault in the hotel is my problem. Additionally, when I left my phone in a taxi, we were disappointed to find that the call we requested to be made to the taxi company hadn't been made when requested (although, in fairness, it was made and the phone recovered very quickly following our second request). For the amount of money we spent for two nights, we would expect the promised facilities to be available and for the services to be top notch. I can get this level of hotel for less money. Otherwise, the room was clean and nicely furnished, and the bathroom and shower were very nice.

5 Thank Yurop
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear Guests

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor

I am sorry to learn that you found some aspects of the service did not meet with your approval; however from time to time we do experience problems with some Ipads and Macs. The settings on some of these devices need to be re-programmed with our router settings. I personally spoke to you and assured you that the problem would be rectified, although it was, regrettably not in time during your short stay. I also informed you that we have a PC kiosk you could use which is free of charge to hotel guests.

With regards to the phone, the call was made when you requested but the taxi driver who transported you went off duty and it took some time for the company to get hold of him. I am delighted WE recovered it for you so soon after you lost it.

Yours

George Briffa
london
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is a good quality city hotel. We stayed here in September for a weekend wedding. The hotel was clean, tidy and recently sympathetically refurbished. Our room was of a good size and clean.

We booked asking for a quiet room, but when we arrived the room did overlook the main road at the front, although it was reasonably quiet. However, we could hear everything that went on in the room next door through a closed adjoining door. It was also annoying that on both days of our stay, we could not shower as there was no water. We got up reasonably early on both days (7.30am) but there was no water and the shower dribbled on your head! We mentioned this to the reception staff on leaving and they were very apologetic.

The main issue for this hotel is the restaurant service. There is one extremely competent waiter with dark longish hair, who was brilliant, but everyone else was useless. We arrived on the Friday night and went to the grill in the basement. They were quite stressed when we arrived, even though there were only 3 other tables occupied and three waiting staff! It took them 20 minutes to get us a menu, and about another 20 minutes to take any kind of order, including a drink order. When you are 6 months pregnant, as I am, this is not ideal! The food arrived relatively quickly once ordered and was actually great. We then went through this same drama over breakfast, it took them over 2 hours to serve us breakfast... the table next to us were left unattended without any waiting staff visiting them for over 45 minutes!! When our breakfast did eventually arrive, some of the food was missing and then we were waiting for ages for the correct food to arrive. If the hotel could train their waiting staff, this would be a great little hotel.

3 Thank columbus21
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We were booked into another hotel who unfortunately had double booked so were sent to The Grange. How delighted were we? We had a traditional four poster room which was absolutely beautiful. The bed was huge and to be honest I had to jump on it - so comfy! The staff were polite friendly and very helpful! Breakfast was lovely - lots of variety! A short walk to the centre of York. Really lovely hotel and staff - we will be back!

I must admit the car park was full but we parked just over the road - for free as it was a weekend and permit parking had ended.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Alitern
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I stayed here in July and found the room to be tiny, paper thin walls, noisy from the road, noisy from the fire doors in close proximity to the room and noisy from the the pipes in the bathroom which transmitted considerable noise from all the other rooms when people took showers or flushed the loo in the night. Considering we paid £114 and breakfast wasn't included I would say this hotel represented exceptionally bad value for money. The location is convenient for the city centre and the exterior of the building is attractive. The hotel requested feedback via email which we gave and never heard anything more. I completely understand that all rooms need to be filled for a business to operate and that the hotel needs to maximise revenue but for the price this is not good in anyway. If we had paid £60 I would not grumble as you should get what you pay for however nearly double this and I feel that we got a very poor deal and suspect that Premier Inn and Travel Lodge with all their bland corporate style rooms will lick their lips at reviews like this as they charge less and offer considerably better quality in a standard dull sort of way. Will definitely never stay here again and our next trip will be better planned so we can find a B&B which is always infinitely more fun, quirky and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Do not pay for a small ground floor double it's simply appalling value
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philipos12000
The World
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Our one night Saturday stay was in conjunction with a Virgin Experience voucher. The hotel car park was completely full with a vehicle actually blocking the entrance, I think in fairness this was due to a wedding taking place at the hotel. The surrounding roads are 'Residents Parking' only and therefore parking is difficult.
The welcome to the hotel was very good and it is situated about ten minutes walk from the central shopping and visiting area of York.
The room was clean and had nice touches like complimentary water in the fridge and spare pillows etc.
The breakfast was good and freshly cooked with cereals, fruit and the like centrally located in the dining room. The service was very slow considering the ratio of servers to guests but the positive side was the staff were polite. My wife gave our stay a 7/10 rating.

2 Thank BasilFawltyTheWorld
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I had made a reservation for the Ivy Brasserie a couple of weeks in advance as we were a party of 6 and were celebrating a birthday so wanted to be sure of our booking. At 4pm on the day of the booking I received a call asking me to change the booking to a later time - I declined as some of our party are elderly and don't like to eat late. I expected to find that the restaurant was busy when we arrived but only one other table was taken. I think that only one or two other tables were occupied during the time we were there. Despite there being two staff serving those tables the service was appalling. Cutlery had to be requested after food had been served, it was impossible to attract the attention of the staff, even when they were standing unoccupied and chatting to each other and our order for deserts appeared to have been forgotten/lost as, after waiting for it for around 20 minutes, the waitress had to come back and ask again what the order was. The food was actually not bad, particularly the starters, although a steak, ordered as very well done, was very bloody inside and some elements of other dishes just weren't there! This could be a really good restaurant but the service needs to be sorted out.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends