“Comfortable and Convenient”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #19 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Grange is located just 10 minutes walk from the Bootham Bar so it is ideal for the city centre.
The room was located on the top floor which meant a few stairs but this was not a problem. The room itself was clean and fresh. The hotel does have a car park but it is limited and was full when we arrived. The nearest car park is at Marygate which is 5 minutes walk away. We had no problems. We were on a room only basis so did not experience breakfast. However, it did seem on the expensive side. There are plenty of options available within walking distance. I would stay again at this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed 29 October 2012

This hotel is only 5 minutes flat walk from the edge of York's main centre so all the sights are within easy reach and it would only be about 20 mins walk from the railway station. There is a small carpark around the back of the hotel but with limited spaces, to be fair to the hotel the lack of parking is made clear on the website and all confirmations we received. We were lucky that we managed to squeeze into the carpark but saw others dropping off cases and then disappearing off to find parking. We did see a couple of carparks further up the road at about £10 per day.

We've visited York many times and had noticed the Grange from the exterior and it always looks busy and well presented from the roadside. We booked a small double room as no standard rooms were available for our dates. We expected the room to be tiny but to be honest it wasn't that bad, just poorly laid out. The bed was more of a 3/4 size which took me back to my teenage days and was uncomfortale for my 6ft husband who's feet hung out the bottom! The poor layout of the room meant that the bed was pushed up against a wall so that for me to get out of bed I had to climb over my husband and I missed having a bedside table. For a lone traveller this would have been fine.

The shower room was a good size and the sink very large. There was a small fridge in the wardrobe which was handy for chilling the pre dinner wine and it also contained fresh milk for teas and coffees (always nicer then those small cartons). The room was very cold when we entered, no heating had been put on but we managed to work out the heaters and the small room soon heated up and the other over sight was the dirty carpet - lots of fluff and dark bits that showed up terribly on the beige carpet.

Although our room wasn't facing the road the windows are lovely single glazed sash and provide very little sound proofing. The road that the Grange is on is one of the main roads into York and is constantly busy with traffic all throughout the day and night. There is also a hospital almost directly opposite. As a result of the noise and the bed being uncomfortable for my husband's height and me feeling penned in against the wall we had a terrible night's sleep. Had we been intending to stay for more than one night we'd have had to seriously consider moving to a hotel in a quieter location or moving to a larger room in the rear of the hotel if one had been available.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely with a good range of fruits, yoghurt and pastries along with a full cooked breakfast. The toast was very overdone/burnt but we were so full it didn't matter.

The staff seemed helpful and professional and a member of the house keeping staff came around in the early evening offering to turn down beds and top up tea and coffees, a nice touch.

I don't think we'll be staying at the Grange again as it didn't suit our needs and for the price there are many other options in York.

Room Tip: The small double rooms are only really suitable for single occupancy. This hotel is on a very busy...
2  Thank oldfishes
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our room was very clean and comfortable - our only complaint would be the need for a centre light as the lighting was inadequate. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the location of the hotel was perfect for sightseeing - just 5 minutes to York Minster and a further 5 minutes to the many shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay there again and recommend the hotel to others.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Our stay was for one evening. We chose the hotel because of it's location (10 mins walk to the center) We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who allowed us to check in early and leave our car in the car park so we could attend the races. She phoned us a taxi and whilst we waited we enjoyed a drink and relaxed in the comfy morning room. We had a lovely room on the first floor only issue was the rather low ceiling in the shower, even a small person could bang their head!! It did have a fab selection of toiletries though. We had a delicious, relaxed breakfast. Over all we really enjoyed our time in the hotel and would have no hesitation in booking again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19. No view but very quiet as there was no outside noise.
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Grange of my 50th Birthday (28/29 Sept). The location is perfect, just a 10 minute walk from York Minster, with an array of bars along the way. On check-in we were met by a friendly, smiling receptionist, and this seemed to be the same for all staff that we came in contact with. We stayed in a standard double room on the 2nd floor, furnishings are classic and very comfy and exceptionally clean, there's a variety of refreshments on the tea-tray (my husband was most impressed to see we had a teapot) and there was a carton of fresh milk in the room fridge, also complimentary water (another nice touch). In the bathroom there were plenty of luxury toiletries ( yes I did bring some home !) and large white fluffy towels, plus plenty of hot water from the shower. Breakfast was really good, there was a large selection of pastries, fresh fruit, fruit compot, yoghurts, cereals and fruit juices to choose from, the cooked breakfast was well presented and really tasty, with as much tea/coffee and toast as you want. Unfortunately we were only staying 2 nights and didn't get chance to eat in the restaurant,(maybe next time). Will definitely recommend The Grange if you want something a bit special where you are made to feel the most important person there. Thanks to everyone concerned. x

1  Thank page5962
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I booked a one night stay at the Grange Hotel in York, which has a booking in time from 2.30pm but were advised on the telephone when booking that if we arrived early we could leave our luggage. We arrived at the hotel at approx 2pm after a three hour drive, expecting to leave our bags then go and enjoy the afternoon sight seeing. On arrival at reception we gave our name and the receptionist stated, in a very matter of fact tone that there were some maintenance issues with our room and that we had been booked into another hotel. She then promptly thrust a google map at us with directions and advised us that the other hotel were expecting us. When I asked what if we didnt like the hotel they had booked us into, she stated that we would still have to pay the full cost as she had booked the alternative hotel at the same rate that the Grange were charging, which was £173.00 per night. Not particularly happy with the situation but mostly with the hostile, dismissive attitude of the receptionist, I asked how far it was and told her that I most certainly would not be paying if I did not like the hotel as I had not booked to stay there and had turned up for my booking at the Grange and therefore would not accept a cancellation fee. She said the alternative hotel was just on the other side of the city centre but was the same distance from the centre of York as the Grange is ie: walking distance and that if I wasn't happy to pay a cancellation fee I would have to take it up with the manager at the hotel she had booked us in to (ie: not our problem, off you go! - we were practically ushered out of the door). On finally arriving at the alternative Hotel (receptionist there was very friendly and lovely to deal with!) we discovered that whilst the Grange is a maximum 5-10min walk into the centre (which was the main reason we booked to stay there in the first place, for proximity), the alternive was, in the hotels words " a good 45 minute walk into town". After speaking to the manager at the Grange via telephone to say it was too far out of town, he advised it was the only hotel available and that he would get his staff ringing around for a B&B nearer. We stayed at the alternative hotel (enjoying a complimentary coffee, lovely, but not what we had intended to do with our day in York) for about another 45 minutes before finally leaving. We drove around the centre for a few hours looking for something close to town before finally admitting defeat and driving the 3 hours home. The manager of the Grange had said that he had been trying to call us all day to let us know there was a problem. We did not have one missed call on our phone. We are certainly not difficult to please, but the dismissive service received from The Grange Hotel staff was literally disgusting and has led me to write this review. I have never before written a negative review on any trip I have taken, but felt so shocked at the way in which we were treated that I felt compelled to share my experience and say, travellers beware, if you want a definate booking and don't want to travel home rather than enjoy your weekend in York, then DO NOT book this hotel!! What was supposed to be a special occassion was completely ruined. PS: I can highly recommend Marmadukes, lovely accomodation and fabulous staff!

Room Tip: You'll be lucky to get to see your room, the best room would be one in another Hotel.
12  Thank Emma164
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Guest

I must firstly and foremost apologise for all the inconvenience caused.

I can find no reason whatsoever to justify the behaviour of my receptionist. Rest assured that upon her return for duty next week a full investigation will be carried out and if deemed right she will be reprimanded. There is no way I will tolerate such behaviour from any members of the team. As the reviews including the above states we are normally highly recommended for our friendliness, hospitality and service. Again a huge apology!

You may remember I spoke to your husband/partner personally; I like to think that I came across very apologetic for not being able to accommodate you at The Grange due to the flooding of the allocated bedroom.

As this is your first review on TripAdvisor you might like to know that the hotel I booked you in is the Number one 4 Red Stars (Not black as The Grange) hotel on this site and in fact in York, there was also a bottle of champagne on order with my compliments if you decided to stay. I do appreciate that the alternative hotel was some 10 minutes walk further from the City centre; but that was my only alternative in a 4 star hotel.

With regards to the phone calls we made. As I mentioned to you I personally called you four times and as you only disclosed your landline telephone number I presumed you had already left. Had you disclosed your mobile number I would have certainly contacted you on your mobile.

Again I profusely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Yours

George Briffa

Reviewed 30 September 2012

The Grange is a lovely property with fine facilities within an easy walk of York town centre. However, we were a touch dismayed when the promised wifi didn't work and the front desk basically ignored our complaints. We were told first that the signal was weak in the room we were in (we were in room 35) and then told that it didn't work on any Apple products (which was a surprise to us, traveling with an iPad, iPhone and macBook). I don't like to be told that a fault in the hotel is my problem. Additionally, when I left my phone in a taxi, we were disappointed to find that the call we requested to be made to the taxi company hadn't been made when requested (although, in fairness, it was made and the phone recovered very quickly following our second request). For the amount of money we spent for two nights, we would expect the promised facilities to be available and for the services to be top notch. I can get this level of hotel for less money. Otherwise, the room was clean and nicely furnished, and the bathroom and shower were very nice.

5  Thank Yurop
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Dear Guests

Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor

I am sorry to learn that you found some aspects of the service did not meet with your approval; however from time to time we do experience problems with some Ipads and Macs. The settings on some of these devices need to be re-programmed with our router settings. I personally spoke to you and assured you that the problem would be rectified, although it was, regrettably not in time during your short stay. I also informed you that we have a PC kiosk you could use which is free of charge to hotel guests.

With regards to the phone, the call was made when you requested but the taxi driver who transported you went off duty and it took some time for the company to get hold of him. I am delighted WE recovered it for you so soon after you lost it.

Yours