“staff issues”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Wetherby, United Kingdom
“staff issues”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

just had to say we were abit disapointed with the service we had when our daughter had her wedding recepion at the hotel the meal on the evening was served at diffrant times so people were not having the meal all together. The breakfast was like been at fawlty towers everybody at the table had breakfast at diffrant times 4 people including myself waited 1hour for a cooked breakfast after the others had eaten there cooked breakfast one person only wanted pancake.In its favor the rooms we all had were okay and the locaction was spot on. Just need to get the staff sorted out

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
north yorkshire
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We booked this hotel via late rooms four days ahead of travel. I can't comment on the hotel stay as we did not get to stay there, but I should comment on my diabolical experience with both late rooms and the hotel. We arrived at about 2.30pm, to be told that the hotel did not have our booking. Unfortunately I had not printed out my confirmation (my fault) so had to resort to trying to find the email on my 'phone with a poor signal in the hotel. I eventually managed to get the email confirmation on my phone and showed it to reception. After some minutes scurrying around and looking at a computer I was then asked to forward the message. This was actually quite hard to do on my phone and with a signal which kept disappearing and not really needed after they had seen the confirmation and booking number. After ten minutes of trying I was about to start and complain when we were asked to wait in the lounge (we were given a cup of tea). At this point I asked if they had rooms free, only to be told, 'no, not at the moment'. To be fair the woman who tried to deal with it was working pretty hard to try and help, but her colleague who was sitting at a computer was uninterested and dismissive each time we approached to try and find out what was happening. All she kept saying was 'she is dealing with it'. I have to say if this was such a rare event you would imagine all staff on reception would be trying to help 'deal with it'. We concluded it was not such a rare event but you can draw your own conclusions.

Eventually another member of staff (probably a manager) came to tell us that the hotel was full, that there had been a computer problem on either late rooms or their side (she would have to look into it). They told us they were moving us to the Hilton (good hotel but completely different to this one) and would get a taxi to take us there. We were not happy at all, which we told them, but there seemed little we could do. I have heard no more from the hotel since.

I suppose you might say that this is just one of those unfortunate things, but several things seem worrying and unsatisfactory. Subsequent conversations with late rooms have only reaffirmed the hotels rather wooly explanation that there was some sort of computer error. Late rooms did confirm that they send a confirmation over email and by fax, so again you may want to draw your own conclusions, but we feel it was a bit unlikely that both had gone astray or been misplaced (or not received). I had also had a bit of conversation with the hotel about the booking just prior to booking. I emailed the hotel to ask for a room (four days before they had several rooms free) and when they send me a price, I alerted them to the fact that late rooms was offering a better room for less. I got a rather curt email back offering to reduce the price a little, but not to the price offered by late rooms. I later booked on late rooms. There may be no connection between this and our later experience, but one does wonder. Why is it that the hotel can't match late rooms prices is an obvious question.

Anyway, I won't be using late rooms again, nor this hotel. If I book a hotel (after a lot of research beforehand) I want the security of knowing I will be staying in the place I have booked. I can't recommend the hotel either. I accept that they found us somewhere to stay and transported us there (which is the minimum they are contractually obliged to do in these circumstances according to Late rooms) but they did nothing more and offered us nothing by way of compensation (which frankly in these circumstances would be the least you might expect). Very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dreamdancer96
Darlington
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Grange is located just 10 minutes walk from the Bootham Bar so it is ideal for the city centre.
The room was located on the top floor which meant a few stairs but this was not a problem. The room itself was clean and fresh. The hotel does have a car park but it is limited and was full when we arrived. The nearest car park is at Marygate which is 5 minutes walk away. We had no problems. We were on a room only basis so did not experience breakfast. However, it did seem on the expensive side. There are plenty of options available within walking distance. I would stay again at this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Derby
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This hotel is only 5 minutes flat walk from the edge of York's main centre so all the sights are within easy reach and it would only be about 20 mins walk from the railway station. There is a small carpark around the back of the hotel but with limited spaces, to be fair to the hotel the lack of parking is made clear on the website and all confirmations we received. We were lucky that we managed to squeeze into the carpark but saw others dropping off cases and then disappearing off to find parking. We did see a couple of carparks further up the road at about £10 per day.

We've visited York many times and had noticed the Grange from the exterior and it always looks busy and well presented from the roadside. We booked a small double room as no standard rooms were available for our dates. We expected the room to be tiny but to be honest it wasn't that bad, just poorly laid out. The bed was more of a 3/4 size which took me back to my teenage days and was uncomfortale for my 6ft husband who's feet hung out the bottom! The poor layout of the room meant that the bed was pushed up against a wall so that for me to get out of bed I had to climb over my husband and I missed having a bedside table. For a lone traveller this would have been fine.

The shower room was a good size and the sink very large. There was a small fridge in the wardrobe which was handy for chilling the pre dinner wine and it also contained fresh milk for teas and coffees (always nicer then those small cartons). The room was very cold when we entered, no heating had been put on but we managed to work out the heaters and the small room soon heated up and the other over sight was the dirty carpet - lots of fluff and dark bits that showed up terribly on the beige carpet.

Although our room wasn't facing the road the windows are lovely single glazed sash and provide very little sound proofing. The road that the Grange is on is one of the main roads into York and is constantly busy with traffic all throughout the day and night. There is also a hospital almost directly opposite. As a result of the noise and the bed being uncomfortable for my husband's height and me feeling penned in against the wall we had a terrible night's sleep. Had we been intending to stay for more than one night we'd have had to seriously consider moving to a hotel in a quieter location or moving to a larger room in the rear of the hotel if one had been available.

Breakfast in the morning was lovely with a good range of fruits, yoghurt and pastries along with a full cooked breakfast. The toast was very overdone/burnt but we were so full it didn't matter.

The staff seemed helpful and professional and a member of the house keeping staff came around in the early evening offering to turn down beds and top up tea and coffees, a nice touch.

I don't think we'll be staying at the Grange again as it didn't suit our needs and for the price there are many other options in York.

Room Tip: The small double rooms are only really suitable for single occupancy. This hotel is on a very busy...
2 Thank oldfishes
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our room was very clean and comfortable - our only complaint would be the need for a centre light as the lighting was inadequate. The hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the location of the hotel was perfect for sightseeing - just 5 minutes to York Minster and a further 5 minutes to the many shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay there again and recommend the hotel to others.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Our stay was for one evening. We chose the hotel because of it's location (10 mins walk to the center) We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who allowed us to check in early and leave our car in the car park so we could attend the races. She phoned us a taxi and whilst we waited we enjoyed a drink and relaxed in the comfy morning room. We had a lovely room on the first floor only issue was the rather low ceiling in the shower, even a small person could bang their head!! It did have a fab selection of toiletries though. We had a delicious, relaxed breakfast. Over all we really enjoyed our time in the hotel and would have no hesitation in booking again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19. No view but very quiet as there was no outside noise.
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Reviewed 2 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Grange of my 50th Birthday (28/29 Sept). The location is perfect, just a 10 minute walk from York Minster, with an array of bars along the way. On check-in we were met by a friendly, smiling receptionist, and this seemed to be the same for all staff that we came in contact with. We stayed in a standard double room on the 2nd floor, furnishings are classic and very comfy and exceptionally clean, there's a variety of refreshments on the tea-tray (my husband was most impressed to see we had a teapot) and there was a carton of fresh milk in the room fridge, also complimentary water (another nice touch). In the bathroom there were plenty of luxury toiletries ( yes I did bring some home !) and large white fluffy towels, plus plenty of hot water from the shower. Breakfast was really good, there was a large selection of pastries, fresh fruit, fruit compot, yoghurts, cereals and fruit juices to choose from, the cooked breakfast was well presented and really tasty, with as much tea/coffee and toast as you want. Unfortunately we were only staying 2 nights and didn't get chance to eat in the restaurant,(maybe next time). Will definitely recommend The Grange if you want something a bit special where you are made to feel the most important person there. Thanks to everyone concerned. x

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple