“A wonderful stay at the Grange Hotel”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in York
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A wonderful stay at the Grange Hotel”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I booked 3 nights' stay at the Grange Hotel for my boyfriend's birthday, following its recommendation in the Telegraph as one of the top hotels to stay in the UK for under £150 per night.

I booked a standard double bedroom, located on the ground floor overlooking the A-road outside. Unlike other reviewers we did not find this a problem; the building is old and noise from other rooms can be heard but not to a deafening or uncomfortable extent. The room was lovely and excellently decorated, as was the en-suite bathroom. One issue was that the water 2 mornings out of 3 was freezing cold - I imagine this was linked to others using the water at the same time before breakfast so this may be a common problem experienced by others.

The hotel does have a car park which is ideal to then leave the car and walk into the city centre each morning (15 mins maximum). However this is on a first-come-first-serve basis, we were ok but there are plenty of nearby car parks to use if this is a problem.

Breakfasts each morning were fantastic, we picked a different breakfast each morning, ranging from pancakes with warm maple syrup, smoked salmon and scrambled egg with toast and porridge with honey. The service was top-notch and we were made to feel welcome and looked after throughout our stay. Room service regularly checked on facilities in our room each day whilst we were out too - topping us up with biscuits and chilled bottled water which was a nice touch.

We will definitely stay again at the Grange and felt very lucky to have stayed there for 3 nights.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
england
Reviewed 12 November 2012

After much research and reading of reviews, I finally decided on the grange hotel to take my mum away for her 50th Birthday. The choice was largely based on what hotels offered 1 night and close proximity to the town but I did want a nice hotel as this was a treat. We arrived about 12 midday on the day of check in and whilst we didn’t expect to be able to park we luckily managed to get ourselves parked in the car park at the hotel. As we were early we took the 5/10 minute walk into the town for the afternoon. We came back to the hotel and checked in and was asked If we would like our bags carried to our room (much to the excitement of my mum). We declined but grateful for the offer. We were also asked if we would like to dine in the hotel that evening and even though no menus were to hand we were told one would be brought to the room. We went up to our room where they was a porter again on the landing asking if we needed help. We were in a twin room at the front of the hotel and it was wonderful! As I had emailed before our visit there was chocolates and a birthday card waiting for my mum which was a lovely touch. Within 10 minutes the menus arrived and a phone call to check all was satisfactory. The prices were very reasonable but as we were only there for the night we decided to decline and go out for the evening. Upon our return to the hotel the lights had been switched on, beds pulled back and the teacups from earlier had been washed – lovely.
We had a lovely night’s sleep, no noise and very comfortable beds. In the morning we went for breakfast and were greeted by a lovely gentleman and seated wherever we requested. We both opted for the Yorkshire breakfast with endless tea and coffee which was lovely. All the staff were very helpful and I'm glad we opted for the breakfast. All in all we had a wonderful stay. We came for a nice weekend and were certainly very pleased with the hotel and the service we received. I would highly recommend the hotel for quality, location and service. Whilst I read reviews to give me a general idea of the hotel I certainly don’t live by them and any negative comments I may have seen before never turned into reality for us. I’m a firm believer in a thing like this is what you make but luckily no complaints from me.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Zermatt, Switzerland
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We recently stayed for a short break at the grange.
We were initially very disappointed with our room upon
Arrival as it was very small and seemed very basic for a
4 star hotel. Also the heating had not been turned on...
We complained about the room to reception and the
Duty manager soon offered us a selection of alternative
Rooms much nicer. We felt that the duty manager Aaron
Was excellent. Safe was not working and they were unable to
Get our safe to work throughout stay.
Breakfast was excellent. Both meals we had we also very good.
The hotel does have a lot of steps....
Mot rooms are different because it is a old hotel.
We found the staff to be particularly friendly and helpful and
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't go for cheapest room
Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fussy4321
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We booked a room for three days at The Grange in late October. It was our second choice, and since I had read a number of negative reviews on TripAdvisor, I did not have very high expectations. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised. Our room was comfortable, the breakfasts good, and the public areas quietly dignified. The staff could not have been nicer. I was trying out a new iPad and we had the predictable problem with Apple's high level security system. The clerks at the desk were very helpful and punched in the long strings of code that Apple had given them. At most hotels with such problems, they shrug their shoulders and smile wistfully. Here, they had looked into the subject and come up with the answer.

We enjoyed our dinner at the Brasserie. It was competent without being exciting--there is a certain style to English hotels and inns with a French-accented menu that one comes to expect. The service was very nice, and it was a good choice after a long day of travel from the States. I wish I could say the same of the New York Grill, which we tried on our last evening. The barman and wait staff were, again, very nice, but our beef rib was not really edible, and the chips gave off more than a hint of being warmed up. Throw in a couple of flatscreen television sets playing old movies and a family with undisciplined children who should not be taken out in public, and it should have been a disastrous evening. Nonetheless, we made up our minds to enjoy ourselves on the starters and good wine. It was not the first time (nor the last) that we have been disappointed in a Sunday evening meal in the UK.

As we were checking out, another couple were complaining about a series of problems that I could not help overhearing. They made it sound like the end of the world, and the hotel clerk and the manager took it all without irritation and made adjustments on their bill. I often wonder if some people don't make a habit of this, something like the bugs scam artists used to carry into restaurants and put in the salad. In any event, we are happy we stayed at the Grange and we shall happily return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Wetherby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

just had to say we were abit disapointed with the service we had when our daughter had her wedding recepion at the hotel the meal on the evening was served at diffrant times so people were not having the meal all together. The breakfast was like been at fawlty towers everybody at the table had breakfast at diffrant times 4 people including myself waited 1hour for a cooked breakfast after the others had eaten there cooked breakfast one person only wanted pancake.In its favor the rooms we all had were okay and the locaction was spot on. Just need to get the staff sorted out

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
north yorkshire
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We booked this hotel via late rooms four days ahead of travel. I can't comment on the hotel stay as we did not get to stay there, but I should comment on my diabolical experience with both late rooms and the hotel. We arrived at about 2.30pm, to be told that the hotel did not have our booking. Unfortunately I had not printed out my confirmation (my fault) so had to resort to trying to find the email on my 'phone with a poor signal in the hotel. I eventually managed to get the email confirmation on my phone and showed it to reception. After some minutes scurrying around and looking at a computer I was then asked to forward the message. This was actually quite hard to do on my phone and with a signal which kept disappearing and not really needed after they had seen the confirmation and booking number. After ten minutes of trying I was about to start and complain when we were asked to wait in the lounge (we were given a cup of tea). At this point I asked if they had rooms free, only to be told, 'no, not at the moment'. To be fair the woman who tried to deal with it was working pretty hard to try and help, but her colleague who was sitting at a computer was uninterested and dismissive each time we approached to try and find out what was happening. All she kept saying was 'she is dealing with it'. I have to say if this was such a rare event you would imagine all staff on reception would be trying to help 'deal with it'. We concluded it was not such a rare event but you can draw your own conclusions.

Eventually another member of staff (probably a manager) came to tell us that the hotel was full, that there had been a computer problem on either late rooms or their side (she would have to look into it). They told us they were moving us to the Hilton (good hotel but completely different to this one) and would get a taxi to take us there. We were not happy at all, which we told them, but there seemed little we could do. I have heard no more from the hotel since.

I suppose you might say that this is just one of those unfortunate things, but several things seem worrying and unsatisfactory. Subsequent conversations with late rooms have only reaffirmed the hotels rather wooly explanation that there was some sort of computer error. Late rooms did confirm that they send a confirmation over email and by fax, so again you may want to draw your own conclusions, but we feel it was a bit unlikely that both had gone astray or been misplaced (or not received). I had also had a bit of conversation with the hotel about the booking just prior to booking. I emailed the hotel to ask for a room (four days before they had several rooms free) and when they send me a price, I alerted them to the fact that late rooms was offering a better room for less. I got a rather curt email back offering to reduce the price a little, but not to the price offered by late rooms. I later booked on late rooms. There may be no connection between this and our later experience, but one does wonder. Why is it that the hotel can't match late rooms prices is an obvious question.

Anyway, I won't be using late rooms again, nor this hotel. If I book a hotel (after a lot of research beforehand) I want the security of knowing I will be staying in the place I have booked. I can't recommend the hotel either. I accept that they found us somewhere to stay and transported us there (which is the minimum they are contractually obliged to do in these circumstances according to Late rooms) but they did nothing more and offered us nothing by way of compensation (which frankly in these circumstances would be the least you might expect). Very disappointing.

2 Thank dreamdancer96
Darlington
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Grange is located just 10 minutes walk from the Bootham Bar so it is ideal for the city centre.
The room was located on the top floor which meant a few stairs but this was not a problem. The room itself was clean and fresh. The hotel does have a car park but it is limited and was full when we arrived. The nearest car park is at Marygate which is 5 minutes walk away. We had no problems. We were on a room only basis so did not experience breakfast. However, it did seem on the expensive side. There are plenty of options available within walking distance. I would stay again at this hotel