“Charismatic with very attentive staff”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Let me star this review by telling you that all bad reviews on here are obviously the opinions of people who like to hear their own voice. On a slightly more important note, I travel around on business regularly and I have to say that by far out of all the hotels I have stayed in this week The Grange Hotel far surpassed my expectations, you walk through the rear entrance from the car park with clear signage to reception, the smell was immense and fresh which was most satisfying. I checked in and the girl on reception was so pleasant and professional. She offered to help me my luggage but I politely rejected her genuine offer. You get your key card in a rather nice card holder which allows the key card to fit snug in to allow you to pop it in your wallet and see your room number with out fumbling with unnecessary amounts of paperwork so then I got to my room which was elegantly and tastefully decorated not to mention yet again a lovely smell of freshness and cleanliness the whole room was spotless. I was in my room putting away my belongings and the telephone rang and to my utter surprise, it was a courtesy call from reception asking if everything was ok with my room, I thought that was a very touching gesture particularly as it really shows that they value you as an individual customer as opposed to just a number. The tea caddy was brimmed with supplies and a teapot with nice large cups and saucers with the added advantage of fresh milk in the fridge, yes FRESH!! AND the duvet and pillows were down feather.... Unequivocally the best nights sleep I've had on my travels, I could not fault the room at all. I then realised the room didn't have an iron and went to reception who kindly offered to bring this to my room which they did and on the double, excellent service so far... Moving on I didn't actually eat at the hotel restaurant as I was meeting a friend in York but looked at the menu and it did look rather pleasing, varied range to accommodate every palate. I arrived back at the hotel later on that evening and went to the bar for a pint, again I was totally accommodated for and was told to take a seat and it would be brought over for me and it was. I then retired to my room and had a shower which was really hot, the towels were huge and bright white and really fluffy! Gorgeous! The soaps you get were really nice too! I then made use of the in room caddy and had myself a peppermint tea which was provided by Taylor's of Harrogate, so obviously this hotel knows quality! After my non alcoholic night cap I claimed in to bed and as I said it was very comfortable and the pillows were Devine, it was like home from home and the hotel certainly has that feel. I woke up in the morning to a pleasant smell of breakfast so I was eager to get down stairs and have mine. The buffet option was plentiful with warm Danish pastries and fresh fruit, and cold means, nothing was sparse, I was serverd my fresh coffee from a cafetier which again was lovely, I was then offered a cooked breakfast which was on the table within only a few minutes and the chap serving certainly was doing a good job, he seemed to be attending to everyone single handedly but was very very polite and had perfect manners, this is a great attribute for this industry as I rarely see this anymore. So to conclude, if you want a luxury hotel at a competitive rate, want to be server by probably the most commendable staff, you definitely need to stay here. Great staff, clean, fresh, traditional and warm, what more could you ask for?

I'd personally like to commend two members of staff who I feel deserve recognition and they are the lady on reception on the 20th March (reddish hair) and the chap in the restaurant serving breakfast with blonde hair. They both went above and beyond by the service they provided and their professional conduct. I was impressed. Thank you for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Grange Hotel

Reviewed 20 March 2013

Great location on the edge of York,ideal for foot access to all the sights in the City. Loads of parking and friendly greeting. Staff were always happy to help and eager to make us feel comfortable. Choice of two restraunts in the hotel ,The Ivy being more refined .Tried both with a fine choice of food, and excellant service. Super choice for breakfast that did set us up for the day. Our room was clean comfortable.Extra TV by the bath was novel !

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thank you so much for writing this 5 star review of The Grange Hotel. It was a real pleasure to have you with us, and thank you for your kind feedback both in person and here on TripAdvisor.
If you are ever thinking of staying with us again please ask for me personally when booking and I will ensure the rate is the very best possible.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at the Grange for two nights, when we arrived they had a wedding on, and another function as well so the place was very busy, we could not find a parking place, and parked it out on the street at a meter, while we went in, we spoke to the receptionist and she said the hotel would give us a ticket for the car park down the road, but one of the doormen called me outside as he had found a parking place in the car park.
All the staff were very friendly, and very helpful, the breakfast was good, and the service was prompt, we would stay again if we were up that way.

1  Thank Graham32_12

Thank you so much for writing this super review of The Grange Hotel, we put a lot of focus on our guest service training so it is great when it gets noted in this way.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel describes its parking facilities as free but limited. I rang the hotel before booking and was told that parking was not a problem. We arrived after a long journey having just come from a conference.We had a great deal of luggage and various electrical items in the car. We attempted to park but found the very tiny car park full.There is restricted parking all around the hotel with meters allowing 1 hour only. We went reception to get advice on parking and was told by the receptionist that the problem was caused by visitors going into york.It did not seem to occur to the hotel that the parking should be for residents!! We were also informed that there would probably not be a space until the following day and we should use the local n c p car park.Apart from the expense we were not happy to leave a good car with our equipment in a public car park. The receptionist was extremely rude and very unhelpful.When we asked if the manager could possibly help he refused to see us. We chose not to stay. We were not only charged for that night but also the following night.We will not be visiting York again !!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
8  Thank ctbarbar
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The Grange was very pleasent and had a lovely atmosphere. The staff where very friendly and eager to please. We stayed for one night and enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms were a good size and the breakfast was very good. We would definitely stay again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing this great review of The Grange Hotel, I do love getting feedback relating to the guest service we provide.

Reviewed 11 March 2013

The Grange was very pleasant, but not, in my opinion 4*. The room was fine, but a little dated. Nice and clean though. The hotel seemed to have no atmosphere or ambiance. The breakfast was very, very good. Quality ingredients and all served very hot to table, including warm plates, which these days is unusual. There were only 5 other guests in the breakfast room and it was very silent, so much so you could not have a conversation without sharing it with fellow guests. Some background music would have helped, even breakfast radio! Good 5 to 10 mins walk from Minster.

1  Thank Deborah2370
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Grange Hotel.

I am delighted to announce that we had our visit from the AA inspectors last week and are more than happy with our standards and they awarded us 78% some 8% over the required mark to be a 4* star hotel. Also the average score from our 410 TripAdvisor reviews also gives us a strong 4* rating.
I was very pleased to read you enjoyed breakfast and that the standard was very VERY good, we do have birdsong early at breakfast which is later replaced by background music. The design of the hotel is purposely created to give a feeling of a country house, truly boutique hotel in the heart of the York City center. We are constantly investing in the product and have just completed a phase of bathroom regeneration and this continues along side our very high standards of housekeeping.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 11 March 2013

This place has such a great feel to it, on every occasion we have been the service has been fantastic, staff can not do enough for you! Food is excellent, just great all rounder, accommodation, food, drinks, service, parking! Only complaint is refurb the fireplace fender...that leather needs replacing!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family