“Babs” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Babs”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed in a "superior" room in the new block overlooking a side road. A nearby external door continually slammed shut, music and loud voices came from the maintenance office below and the refuse wagon loaded up outside our window at 4.30am. The restaurant was very un-inviting and the breakfast was appalling. All in all we came away with the feeling that at £135 a night it was a complete rip-off.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

To be honest, I was sorely disappointed with my stay.

For the prices that they charge (I was paying £130 a night for my room) I would expect the sort of “finest luxury” hotel described on their website. In fact, my room was decidedly average – with tired looking furniture and fittings, strongly in need of a modern shower and heating, and absolutely none of those little “extras” that can make you feel you’re staying somewhere special – I would have said charging somewhere closer to half that rate (say £70) would have been a fair price. For £130, I’d expect the sort of room that makes you want to stay in it all evening, and not go out. As it was, I was glad I had other plans as I think it would have been a decidedly sad and depressing room to spend much time in.

The service and overall experience also fell short of what I’d expect from a hotel that markets itself the way it does (and charges the prices it does). Breakfast, for example, consisted of a small and picked over looking buffet. Staff seemed to struggle to take people’s orders for hot items, with people on the tables around me either being brought the wrong meals or finding themselves unable to attract anyone’s attention to take their order.

I had been very much looking forward to my stay but left, to be honest, feeling a bit like I’d been robbed.

They urgently need to amend their marketing materials and pricing structure to reflect the reality of the quality they are able to offer.

I have fed this back to the hotel management, but am currently awaiting their response.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your review of the Grange Hotel. It is disappointing to read when reviewers only choose to share small negatives of a stay and that you failed to mention at any point the fantastic wedding you attended while at the Hotel. The rate of £130 was a B&B rate and given our city location, recently renewed and continued AA 4 star rating and the fact you stayed on a weekend offers great value for money.
I have received your direct feedback today, and my reply is also with you, I do question why this at the end of your review?
I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further, please feel free to contact me personally.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

Let me star this review by telling you that all bad reviews on here are obviously the opinions of people who like to hear their own voice. On a slightly more important note, I travel around on business regularly and I have to say that by far out of all the hotels I have stayed in this week The Grange Hotel far surpassed my expectations, you walk through the rear entrance from the car park with clear signage to reception, the smell was immense and fresh which was most satisfying. I checked in and the girl on reception was so pleasant and professional. She offered to help me my luggage but I politely rejected her genuine offer. You get your key card in a rather nice card holder which allows the key card to fit snug in to allow you to pop it in your wallet and see your room number with out fumbling with unnecessary amounts of paperwork so then I got to my room which was elegantly and tastefully decorated not to mention yet again a lovely smell of freshness and cleanliness the whole room was spotless. I was in my room putting away my belongings and the telephone rang and to my utter surprise, it was a courtesy call from reception asking if everything was ok with my room, I thought that was a very touching gesture particularly as it really shows that they value you as an individual customer as opposed to just a number. The tea caddy was brimmed with supplies and a teapot with nice large cups and saucers with the added advantage of fresh milk in the fridge, yes FRESH!! AND the duvet and pillows were down feather.... Unequivocally the best nights sleep I've had on my travels, I could not fault the room at all. I then realised the room didn't have an iron and went to reception who kindly offered to bring this to my room which they did and on the double, excellent service so far... Moving on I didn't actually eat at the hotel restaurant as I was meeting a friend in York but looked at the menu and it did look rather pleasing, varied range to accommodate every palate. I arrived back at the hotel later on that evening and went to the bar for a pint, again I was totally accommodated for and was told to take a seat and it would be brought over for me and it was. I then retired to my room and had a shower which was really hot, the towels were huge and bright white and really fluffy! Gorgeous! The soaps you get were really nice too! I then made use of the in room caddy and had myself a peppermint tea which was provided by Taylor's of Harrogate, so obviously this hotel knows quality! After my non alcoholic night cap I claimed in to bed and as I said it was very comfortable and the pillows were Devine, it was like home from home and the hotel certainly has that feel. I woke up in the morning to a pleasant smell of breakfast so I was eager to get down stairs and have mine. The buffet option was plentiful with warm Danish pastries and fresh fruit, and cold means, nothing was sparse, I was serverd my fresh coffee from a cafetier which again was lovely, I was then offered a cooked breakfast which was on the table within only a few minutes and the chap serving certainly was doing a good job, he seemed to be attending to everyone single handedly but was very very polite and had perfect manners, this is a great attribute for this industry as I rarely see this anymore. So to conclude, if you want a luxury hotel at a competitive rate, want to be server by probably the most commendable staff, you definitely need to stay here. Great staff, clean, fresh, traditional and warm, what more could you ask for?

I'd personally like to commend two members of staff who I feel deserve recognition and they are the lady on reception on the 20th March (reddish hair) and the chap in the restaurant serving breakfast with blonde hair. They both went above and beyond by the service they provided and their professional conduct. I was impressed. Thank you for a memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Great location on the edge of York,ideal for foot access to all the sights in the City. Loads of parking and friendly greeting. Staff were always happy to help and eager to make us feel comfortable. Choice of two restraunts in the hotel ,The Ivy being more refined .Tried both with a fine choice of food, and excellant service. Super choice for breakfast that did set us up for the day. Our room was clean comfortable.Extra TV by the bath was novel !

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you so much for writing this 5 star review of The Grange Hotel. It was a real pleasure to have you with us, and thank you for your kind feedback both in person and here on TripAdvisor.
If you are ever thinking of staying with us again please ask for me personally when booking and I will ensure the rate is the very best possible.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We stayed at the Grange for two nights, when we arrived they had a wedding on, and another function as well so the place was very busy, we could not find a parking place, and parked it out on the street at a meter, while we went in, we spoke to the receptionist and she said the hotel would give us a ticket for the car park down the road, but one of the doormen called me outside as he had found a parking place in the car park.
All the staff were very friendly, and very helpful, the breakfast was good, and the service was prompt, we would stay again if we were up that way.

1 Thank Graham32_12
Thank you so much for writing this super review of The Grange Hotel, we put a lot of focus on our guest service training so it is great when it gets noted in this way.

lewes uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

The hotel describes its parking facilities as free but limited. I rang the hotel before booking and was told that parking was not a problem. We arrived after a long journey having just come from a conference.We had a great deal of luggage and various electrical items in the car. We attempted to park but found the very tiny car park full.There is restricted parking all around the hotel with meters allowing 1 hour only. We went reception to get advice on parking and was told by the receptionist that the problem was caused by visitors going into york.It did not seem to occur to the hotel that the parking should be for residents!! We were also informed that there would probably not be a space until the following day and we should use the local n c p car park.Apart from the expense we were not happy to leave a good car with our equipment in a public car park. The receptionist was extremely rude and very unhelpful.When we asked if the manager could possibly help he refused to see us. We chose not to stay. We were not only charged for that night but also the following night.We will not be visiting York again !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
8 Thank ctbarbar
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

The Grange was very pleasent and had a lovely atmosphere. The staff where very friendly and eager to please. We stayed for one night and enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms were a good size and the breakfast was very good. We would definitely stay again

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for writing this great review of The Grange Hotel, I do love getting feedback relating to the guest service we provide.