“Brilliant hotel and near to sights.”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 23 May 2013

A welcome relief, finding this hotel just across the road from Marmadukes Hotel and the drains didn't smell (after I was told all of York's drains smell) BY Marmadukes Hotel.
The Grange have very friendly staff who took my case to my room showed me how to use the TV, also showed me where the dinning rooms were.
I stayed for dinner which was fab, then had an early night.
The breakfast was the best, I then left to meet my friends who showed me round the places in the town, we then lunched, and much later I returned to my hotel.The next day I left to return home. I will return to this place and have told friends how nice and clean with great staff.
My friends in York are in business in the town and will sent people to stay there.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a bad room. My room was on the ground floor on the main road and I didn't hear...

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My son and his wife have been planning their wedding at The Grange for more than a year. Right from the outset the staff have been brilliant. Susanne the wedding planner bent over backwards to make sure that their day went well.

The hotel is loveley and on the wedding day the guests were shown into traditionally decoratedted lounge were they had champagne and canapes. The recption room was stuning and the tables were beautifully decorated to an high standard. The staff were very attenative and lovely, they worked very hard all day to make sure that our son and daughter in law had an enjoyable day.The meal was of an high standard and there was wine a plenty followed by a champagne toast.

After the reception we had a short break and the evening guests turned up and were warmley welcomed by the staff . Again the food was delicious and plentiful.

The hotel has got the wedding thing off to a fine art. The cost is very reasonable and I would definately recomend to a friend

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Booked 12 rooms (inc Suite) and the Brasserie Restaurant for family party the night before.

Found staff professional and helpful when making the booking arrangements to accommodate everyone. We were even offered a couple of room upgrades to help the hotel out with their room allocations - some of our party certainly didn't complain with their 4-poster beds.

On the nights we stayed, everything went well - no dramas even though we probably had 25 sleeping there and 40 eating the night before.

As the wedding couple, we had the suite on the wedding night, whilst my fiancé/bride had the room the night before and on the morning to get ready. The suite has a good size bedroom, very nice ensuite, walk-in wardrobe, and then it's own lounge which was ideal for make-up, hairdressers, and general well-wishing visitors.

The meal the night before was for 40 people and we had pre-supplied food choices to help chef and service. The meal was probably a mixed bag, some were very positive about it, others were probably 50/50. However, the venue was ideal and we ended up having a great party - probably enjoyed it too much as it turned into a late night given the wedding the following day...

On a negative note, the room service breakfast delivered to the suite on the wedding day wasn't good enough - cold toast, no jam, muesli - not what was anticipated from the continental breakfast requested. The breakfast served in the main restaurant was very good however.

All the staff we had dealings with during the stay were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The Grange is an old hotel, tastefully modernized to a high standard. It is about 200 yards outside the old walls, near Bootham Bar - about a 10 minute walk from the Minster and the city center - and an easy walk to several outstanding eating places near Bootham Bar. My room was on the ground floor, on the front. Though I opened the window, it was not noisy because this is not a commercial area. The staff was very friendly and helpful; breakfast very good.

Room Tip: There is no lift. Ask for a ground floor room if this is a problem. You really don't want to be...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Let me start with the positives:-
Location - excellent, less than 10 minute easy walk from the centre of York.
Car Park available - but be aware it is small!
Beds very comfortable.
Porter - excellent, very helpful and very friendly.
Excellent breakfast....but they do run out of things
Food in Brasserie was really very good with excellent service in the evening.

And now the negatives:-
No lift. If you are in a room on the top floor there are 7 flights of stairs to take!
Bedroom very small and furniture very tired.
Bedroom walls paper thin - I could hear every word being said by my neighbours.
Wi-Fi hit and miss, didn't really work.
TV has channels that don't work
Plug sockets in room didn't work
Took 45 minutes in the afternoon to get a cup of coffee and when it arrived it was cold.
Ran out of granola for breakfast and had no further supply.

All in all, although the hotel was pleasant and in a good position, I feel it really is masquerading as a 4 star - it shouldn't be. I would rate it as 3 star at best. (I have travelled all over the world and stayed in many,many hotels so I would hope to know hotel ratings).

Room Tip: If you are at the front of the hotel and need fresh air be aware that when you open the window you g...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan J
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a really great hotel - very stylish and elegant. We were upgraded on arrival - always good! - the room was very nice, maybe slightly on the small side, but still lovely. Despite over-looking the main road we still had a good night's sleep on both nights.
It's less than a 10 minute walk to the city walls and really easy to get into the centre of York, so it was perfect. There is parking at the back of the hotel, which was very handy.
We didn't eat at the hotel due to there being lots of great places to eat out in York but the bar/dining areas all looked lovely.
Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I have used the Grange Hotel in York for over twenty years on an occasional basis. Last month my wife and I took our daughter and grandson on a short four day stay to explore York's latest tourist offerings. The Grange scores heavily on location it being a shortish walk to the city walls.Once inside, the compact nature of York means most attractions are only a few minutes away. The Hotel is still as quirky as it has always been. I would describe it as slightly faded grandeur. However the rooms are individual and varied, and the main staircase very splendid.
The staff gave good service and a typically Yorkshire welcome. The food in the Brasserie was excellent and we ate very hearty breakfasts. The car park is still very small but for most guests the city is best explored on foot so once parked my advice would be to leave the car alone.
So overall, don't expect a formula hotel. The Grange has a character all of its own.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the main road into York but the noise level will only rise if you open the windo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family