“A Comfortable Stay”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The Grange Hotel was a comfortable place to stay for 2 nights recently in York. The room was a reasonable size, the hotel staff were helpful with questions, and we enjoyed our time spent in the common areas reading or enjoying a drink. I will note that the internet access was very good and free, which during a long trip to many places is lovely indeed. They also provided free bottled water in the room, which was a nice touch. The hotel is also a reasonable walk into the heart of York.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in the building, so do take that into account when booking if many stairs would...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very impressed with meticulous preparation and attention to detail. Superb food and excellent service. All the staff were very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble
Helped make our wedding day very special.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Dac1210
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Although we knew only small double bedrooms were available when we booked we were unprepared for a single room with a double bed pushed up against the wall. One person had to climb over the other to get in and out and could not read in bed as no bedside light. The room was tiny, hot, dark, oppressive and needed a complete makeover. The fridge had been taken out so no cold drinks, one lamp had no bulb, the loo did not flush, there was no bath and worst of all the biscuits on the tea tray had been opened and half eaten. The road noise was indescribable and could not shut the windows because of the heat. The noise from the upstairs floorboards was also very bad and there were also quite embarrassing noises that kept us awake most of the night. This was our anniversary and was totally spoilt. I would not recommend this hotel at all. Although the staff were quite pleasant they were unable to move us but offered nothing by way of compensation other than sympathy.

4  Thank CandM1
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you for your review of the Grange Hotel York, I am sorry your experience has caused you to reflect on the visit in a negative light.
We make no allusions of our three small doubles which are priced well away from our other rooms and on checking your confirmation which did include a picture of the room the rate reflected the last let nature of your bedrooms.
That said I agree more could have been done to put you at ease during your stay and I will use your feedback to aid our Guest Service training.
Lastly thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and should you wish to discuss your stay further feel free to contact me at the Hotel.

Kind Regards

Steven Hodgkinson

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My friend and I spent 2 nights here recently, to the tune of over $200 per night. I was disappointed in the cleanliness, the lack of attention to detail, and the service in general. For instance, in our room, the saucers for tea were actually dirty, and our electric kettle leaked because it was broken. The kettle was replace, but the only way to reach a plug with it was to put the kettle on the floor. I had to contact the management about a loud party in the room next to us the first night, and while the response was fairly swift, the result wasn't all that effective.
The location of the hotel is good...an easy walk to the MInster. Anyhow, I wouldn't stay here again. It wasn't horrible but it didn't seem like particularly good value for the money.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Hazel H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Grange Hotel York, more time than you took to locate the plug socket for the kettle which is just behind the desk at waist height.
Your feedback has been pasted to the housekeeping and maintenance team which I of course I apologise for. You will see from 90% of our TA feedback my team, our location and the cleanliness of the hotel are all rated extremely highly so this is disappointing to learn so late in your experience.
If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me at the hotel

Steven Hodgkinson

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We booked an extra small room for under 100 pounds, and were delighted to open our door and see a large space (perhaps our largest room in all of the UK). The décor was charming and tasteful, with sweet touches like fresh milk in the fridge for your tea, local books and magazines, etc. The beds had white duvets, which I love as it feels so much cleaner than bedspreads. The only drawbacks were no AC and the toilets were tricky to flush. We would recommend and would stay here again. It was a 5 minute walk outside the city walls. We took a taxi from the train station - walkable but just far enough to be too far with luggage.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel is generally clean and tidy but it is a little dated and frayed around the edges. Not what you would expect from a 4* hotel paying £169 per night. But if you can ignore the frayed/well worn parts of the hotel then you will enjoy your stay. The rooms are comfy and clean. The staff are very helpful and polite. The location is very good with a short walk into York centre. The food is in my opinion a bit over priced but is an acceptable quality. But there are plenty of quality places to eat in York it’s self. There are limited free parking spaces at the back of the hotel. There is no lift so if you have trouble with stairs it may be a problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room facing the car park.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife & I stayed at the Grange for a couple of nights before we set off on a tour of the Cotswolds.
I could not bring myself to pay £15.00 each for the full English breakfast so I have no idea what the quality is like - however the Grange is less than 10 minutes walk from the city centre so finding good food is quite easy. Same goes for the evening meal - we wanted to cram in as much as possible so we did not dine in.
So, our room was very clean, a reasonable size but the décor is a bit dated - stripes and swags are not my cup of tea but this is just a personal thing.
The bathroom was very clean and spacious - the built in flat screen TV was pretty neat!
Large white fluffy towels and always loads of hot water.
Parking was available but there are not that many spaces.
All in all very nice.

Room Tip: maybe avoid rooms facing the main road.
1  Thank AL_the_Tourist