“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We had a lovely stay over the May bank holiday weekend, the hotel is very close to the centre which is ideal for a short break away. Our room was very big but did look as though it needed a bit work done as it didn’t quite match with the high modern standard of the brassiere.
Although nothing to do with the hotel, if you are planning a stay in York, the ghost trail (the one that meets outside the Minster at 7:30pm) is well worth doing with it being so informative and interesting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Faye R
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the city of York.

We hope to see you again,

Kind regards, Jackie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Very well placed . Only a 5 minute stroll from York Minster. Complimentary car parking.
Has a restaurant (The Ivy) and a brasserie. Our en suite room was adequate and clean although the carpet was stained. The bar area is too small. The brasserie was dark and unwelcoming. Serviced by one member of staff who had only been at The Grange for 2 weeks. He did his best but was clearly floundering. The brasserie food was reasonable. Breakfast was awful; taking a bespoke order is one thing but my fried egg had been cooked long before it was ordered. Tasteless fried tomato. Dinner, bed and breakfast(and my wife does not drink alcohol) for £254.18 was not good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange; your feedback is very important to us. I will look into your comments and make improvements/changes where necessary.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We booked a small double room and was given room 13. it was a very small room.the one side of the bed is pushed up against the wall and with the tv at the bottom of the bed you have no choice to climb over each other to get out.I personally think the room is too small and with all dark green walls and matching ceiling it felt like a small box. the hotel and staff where lovely and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange; your feedback is important to us.
I agree that the small double is small; as a result it's always the last room that we sell. I will pass on your lovely comments regarding our team; they all work hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Kind regards, Jackie
Tingewick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

spent a long weekend here for Easter break, good deal on Expedia as a "secret Hotel" . Staff were friendly and accommodating. the room was very clean and a decent size. The location is great very easy to reach on the road into York and a 5 min walk to the minster and the main attractions.

the car park is on the small side and you are not guaranteed a spot so be prepared to park elsewhere if there is no space - parking in york is expensive - we were lucky enough to get a space on our second attempt, and once the car was parked we did not move it until we left.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank woolys
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grange. Parking can be expensive in York so we're so pleased you managed to get a place in our car park.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had just spent a week touring around North Yorkshire. I feel that this hotel was an excellent choice for facilities,location and most importantly service. This was a special celebration and needed to be special;i was not disappointed. I will definitely use the hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Scibar
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grange. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

6 of us arrived at 2pm yesterday for a pre booked afternoon tea to celebrate my 40th birthday.

On arrival we were shown into a lovely (but very very warm) private room that had been laid out in advance.

A gentleman named John seemed to have been assigned to serve us and despite the fact that the afternoon tea menu states that there is a choice of teas and coffees he proceeded, without asking, to just bring out 3 pots of tea. The ladies that required coffee had to ask for it and, as I wanted to take the champagne option, I also had to ask for this.

The sandwiches and little cakes were then brought out, which were lovely and we all enjoyed them. John then brought us 2 plates of scones, one fruit and one plain.

I was the first to get up and get a scone, only to find that one of the fruit scones was mouldy. At this point we had probably been there for half an hour, and although the restaurant was very quiet at this time neither John or any of his colleagues had bothered to come and see if everything was ok, therefore I had to go in search of a member of staff to let them know about the problem.

I approached a lady at the bar who said she would get John and five minutes later he ambled in to the room and told us that he would go and "check" with the kitchen. What he was checking exactly I'm not sure but he took both plates of scones away with him and returned a few minutes later with just one plate of plain scones with the excuse that the others were old ones that had not been in a sealed container so had accidentally gone into the oven with today's, he then very proudly told us that the new ones had been made today and when we were ready for some more to just let him know.

At no point during this conversation did John offer an apology for serving us mouldy food and during the rest of the time we were there, neither he nor anyone else came to see how we were so we would have had to go in search of staff yet again.

When we decided we would like the bill I again had to go and look for John who eventually brought it for us.

When I checked the bill we had not been charged for the champagne. I assume that this was left off by way of recompense for the problem that had occurred, but again no apology or explanation was forthcoming so for all I know they might have just forgotten to add it on!

One positive mention does have to go to the young lady who looked after and then brought in the birthday cake that my friends had brought, I'm sorry that I did not get her name, but she really was the only bright spot in what was an otherwise disappointing experience for what was supposed to be the highlight of the day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tigermel_23
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange. I sincerely apologise for your experience whilst taking Afternoon Tea with us. This is not our usual standard and steps have been taken and training undertaken to ensure that we don't repeat these mistakes.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The most positive thing about this hotel is the staff - they are really well trained and lovely! The free (inclusive) WIFI is good as well - and the breakfast was nice enough. The hotel is close enough to the city to amble in and out all day.

Parking is not the best - the car park is too small and to get there and be told you have to park at an NCP some distance away for an £7.50 until 10am the next morning then more cost... is not the best of welcomes.

The room was small - disappointingly small. Chairs were faded - it just looked a bit shabby. Pity really when the room rate was so high. Shower didn't aim where I wanted it to and the bath water wasn't warm enough. The room was at the front and we heard constant road noise all night. Once the heating was sorted out the second night was cooler - the radiators were on full I think!

So a mixed review when I wanted to have an amazing time and leave a fully positive one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back the road noise is loud!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange.

We are delighted with your comments about the staff and the food.I shall feed this back to the team.

Room temperature is a very personal thing; we have fully adjustable radiators set at the half way mark. I understand that housekeeping turned your radiator off after your first night, however, I apologise if this, along with the traffic caused you to have a poor nights sleep.

We have 26 car parking spaces with 38 rooms. I wish we had more but on the plus side we are the only hotel with free parking in York to my knowledge.

Kind Regards, Jackie Millan