“A boutique Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Gloucester
“A boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Yes this is a great hotel. The situation in the centre of York is perfect for the visitor, a short stroll to anything. The food both breakfast and, where we ate for two nights, in the Bistro was excellent, particularly the latter. All was good on the first night as the hotel dining seemed quiet, however, on the second night, when busy, we felt that the staff were quite pressed. We waited just under 40 minutes for our first course, the first glass of wine went back as it was warm and the second, after a considerable wait, was not much better. Breakfast the next day showed similar pressure, I had to ask for our coffee and tea again after waiting 10 minutes and it appeared quickly. Sounds very picky but if it has 4 stars this should not happen. The room was very comfortable, it just had a hidden cupboard in the wall that was used for hotel storage and which kept popping open. Bathroom was large and well equipped. Staff were very friendly and helpful but, as a fellow guest commented, it seemed as if there was a bit of a "manana" attitude.

I would certainly stay there again as it was elegant and nothing like chain hotels, heaven bless it, but it needs to up its game a bit if it is to retain the 4 stars. Food was, I repeat, excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RobertGloucester
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found The Grange so convenient to explore the wonderful city of York.

I've passed your lovely comments regarding the food to our chefs and can only apologise for the fact that we gave the impression that we had a laid back attitude towards customer service. We aim to be attentive and efficient throughout the 'peaks and troughs' of service but it appears that we failed somewhat on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards, Jackie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

A fabulous two day stay in York with my father whom suffers from Parkinson's, the staff are attentive and quite genuine too, a rare quality these days.
I was quite specific with my room requirements and nothing was too much trouble to ensure we had the right one.
The Ivy restaurant is quite divine however the Bistro is slightly over priced for similar portion sizes one would expect in a more fine dining establishment.

One key highlight was the most superlative breakfasts served, stunning fresh array and lovely cooked scrambled eggs, difficult to fault and bravo to the chef.

Perfect location moments from the Minster and a historically stunning large house, forget the big hotels and stay here, totally worth it and great midweek prices too.

Lotty

Room Tip: All are quite stunning...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lotty1971
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments; it was our pleasure. I will pass your compliments on to the team.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I cant complain here, room was beautiful and hotel exquisite. My only one complaint was as a Coeliac, they didn't substitute anything on the breakfast and still charged me full rate of £10 for the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Outgirl2
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange, we appreciate your lovely comments. We do hope that you will come again when we promise to make alternative menu choices available to you. Please let us know in advance.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We only had a small wedding party but the grange looked after us from the champagne and canapes to a wonderful meal in the evening with excellent service from all the staff. They gave us a room upgrade which was the cherry on top! Its a lovely hotel with each bedroom having a different theme. A light a spaceous reception with the restuarant having such a lovely and unique mural of York Races.

thanks Kelly Price

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
We're so pleased to hear that we managed to help make your big day a memorable one. I'll pass your comments on to the team.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A very stylish and elegant hotel. Great location with a short stroll into town, good parking and very attentive and polite staff. A lovely restaurant with a great breakfast ( I was eating out sadly).
My room whilst comfortable and clean was very Victorian gentleman residence style and for me a little austere and certainly too dark (green everywhere) for my liking and for the size of room - made it feel too closed in. I would suggest perhaps some soft closers for the bedroom doors and the hallway doors might help as it was a little noisy. TV in the room was ok but a bit poor on signal and channel choice but not an issue for me as I prefer to read.

I would stay again but perhaps would prefer a brighter room style!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lighter colour finish - more relaxing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to review The Grange. The team will be delighted to hear your lovely comments.

The room in which you stayed is quite dark I agree and wouldn't be my first choice either as all of our rooms are very different. We do however have guests that prefer that room so there's no accounting for personal preference. Of course if you do return we will make sure that you have a much brighter room.

I shall look into the soft door closers for those doors that don't already have them.

Thanks once again for your comments.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here overnight, was a pleasant change from chain hotels. Staff were pleasant and the rooms as were the lobby, library and bar. Nice touches, situated just out side the walls a great location to explore York, all within easy walking distance. Breakfast was great, cooked to order and with free parking added a very nice place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ElvisPhish
Thank you so much for your lovely comments which I will pass onto the team.

Liverpool
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Like other reviewers, I would agree that this hotel drips elegance - superb location and beautiful period house. There are moments and places where you catch a glimpse of a top quality hotel, but then it lets itself down in others. So for example my room has a TV in the bathroom - wow! - but half the channels don't work properly - no signal on BBC1, which is a bit of a disaster when the world cup is on! The control for the telly was damaged and the waterproofing breached - not great for a bathroom appliance!. I would have no complaints over the service - all staff I interacted with were excellent; the food was OK but not remarkable, and on a warm summer evening, white wine was served at room temperature. My room was very pleasant, the bed was comfortable - chilled water and fresh milk were a nice touch, but corridor had broken and discarded furniture lying around - you kind of get the feel that the place has been set up to a really high spec, but no-one is maintaining it. This is really a hotel that is missing the mark as a four star, when it might be better to over-deliver as a three star. It is not an unpleasant stay, has much to commend it, and it is certainly not an "avoid" but it does not quite manage to be all it is cracked up to be.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank phil J
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thanks very much for taking the time to review The Grange. Your constructive comments are very welcome and will be immediately put to good use in our quest for improvement.

I'm very pleased to hear that you encountered friendly and efficient staff and apologise that we were having problems with our TV's whilst the World Cup was on. I hope that you managed to watch it in The Brasserie where we have 3 plasma screens.

I hope that when in York you'll consider choosing The Grange again.