“Graduation visit”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Whilst visiting York, this July for our son's Graduation, we stayed at the Grange Hotel for two nights. Our first impression was how pleasant and helpful everyone was. Our room was spacious and very clean and well equipped. When I asked for an iron and ironing board, it was brought up to the room straight away. On the second night our eldest son stayed with us and shared our room; a further bed was made up for him at very little extra cost.
The breakfasts were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend the hotel for the breakfasts alone! We did eat in the Brasserie on the first night but weren't terribly impressed with the quality of the food, which was a shame. We didn't try The Ivy.
The hotel is very conveniently situated to walk into York.
All in all a good hotel which I would be happy to stay in again,

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the rear of the hotel with less road noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and congratulations on your son's graduation! I will pass your comments on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to York.

Matthew Forster

Write a ReviewReviews (1,325)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Grange to celebrate my 60th birthday. It was in an excellent location - not too far from the station - and just a short pleasant walk into York's Centre. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable and there was a TV set in the wall at the bottom of the bath!!! It was the first time I've had the luxury of laying in the bath watching a film! Breakfast was excellent - a good choice and well cooked. We left the car at home this time and went by train All in all a good choice and no worries about driving into York which can be a headache at times. Plenty to see and do as always.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. We are very privileged to live and work in York and we are pleased you took the time to experience what the city has to offer. Hopefully we will see you again for your next birthday!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our family, friends and relatives stayed at the Grange for 2 nights around the occasion of our daughter's wedding in July 2014.

The venue for the wedding was 'The York Hospiteum' on the York Museum site, which we would also recommend and is within short - 7 minute, walking distance of The Grange.

The Grange management and staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to us in the planning of our event and throughout our stay and were flexible to our wishes at all times.

The hotel is a wonderfully individual one, with a variety of different sizes, styles and colours of rooms to suit differing tastes and budgets.

We were delighted with the friendliness and thoughtfulness of all the staff there and hope to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Talk to the managers and detail your requirements.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments in you recent review. We pride ourselves on first class customer service and I will pass your feedback to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grange in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and were delighted with our room and the hotel in general. The bathroom had a big bath and a shower that accommodated 2 easily. The bed was a generous size, and there was lots of storage space, including that must-have these days, a safe. It also had air-conditioning which made a big difference as Yorkshire was unexpectedly warm.
The breakfasts were generous and good quality, and the staff were friendly and courteous. My husband had an excellent cooked breakfast every day while I had lots of fresh fruit, cereal and toast until the last morning when I spoiled myself with Eggs Benedict.
Only a few minor issues, most of which the age and situation of the building can't help: a tiny carpark (tho we did get a space), a Fawlty Towers array of staircases up and down to reach our room (luckily we are fit), no full-length mirror in our room.
If we can afford it, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when we return to York. You can't say better than that.

Room Tip: If you're not keen on lots of stairs, you need to say when booking, to ensure you get an easily...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly pride ourselves on our Breakfast! I will pass your comments on to the chef team. I am also pleased to hear you got a parking space. We are one of the only hotels in York to offer free parking and sadly we only have 26 spaces, but we do offer discounted parking in a nearby pay and display car park once full.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

After looking into a short break away in York we decided to book the grange due to its high star rating. After checking in we ventured to our room which was a king bedroom, however don't be fooled this looked nothing like any of the rooms the hotel advertises. The room was pleasant enough but was the first disappointment of many. The hotel advertises 36 individually decorated bedrooms in my opinion the only rooms shown in photos have an individual look ours was rather plain but satisfactory.

However once we went to put the television on most of the channels did not work and the ones that did had fuzzy signal, we had also seen on the website that sky sports was available in each rooms. Upon complaining about this to the reception I was informed that the website did not state that sky sports was available and had to bring the page up on my phone to show the hotel staff. After explaining to the hotel staff that this was not satisfactory that a simple TV signal was not given and they had wrongly advertised sky sports (which was quickly taken off the website) we were offered to be shown another room which would be a downgrade to a double, we refused this and were offered money off the room which we agreed too. We were also told this problem had just developed however I have seen someone else complaining about the TV signal from June and given we visited at the end of July I would suggest this is an ongoing problem.

The problems with our stay did not end there. We were having problems with the toilet not flushing properly and complained about this on the second night of our stay. The reception staff were quite rude and sent the maintenance man along to have a look, who I must say was the only friendly and helpful member of staff we encountered. He came along to our room and had a look and said he would be back along soon. On his return he asked if myself of my partner would be willing to look at a different room for our last night there, I proceeded to follow him to a different room. This room turned out to be the hotel suite, which we took the offer up of so enjoyed one night in a luxurious room and still received the money off we'd agreed to.

Even though the hotel did act upon our complaints to themselves the general attitude of all but one staff we encountered being less than friendly or helpful was a great disappointment. The hotel is not a cheap hotel and could be amazing with friendlier and more helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel for a room as advertised and make sure that this as at the back of the hotel as the fr...
1  Thank Catherine P

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your original room allocation did not meet your expectations. I am however pleased to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our suite.

Customer service is our number one priority and it is shame that you were given the wrong impression by our team. I will look in to this further and deal with it appropriately.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife, my 16 month old daughter and I stayed at The Grange last Friday night and we really enjoyed our stay. The room we were allocated, Room 10, was beautifully decorated, but a bit warm. This was put right by asking for a fan. We arrived early, our room understandably was not ready, so we had a sandwich lunch in the bar. Both my wife and my food was delicious. The bar manager was courteous and polite and promoted the local Yorkshire ales in his fridge very well. By the end of lunch our room was ready and we settled in, then went out to explore York. When we returned we had a freshen up. The bathroom was clean and tidy, but maybe due a decorate. However there was plenty of hot water, soft fluffy towels and the complimentary toiletries were from The White Company. We chose to dine in the Tapa's/ Steak restaurant in the basement. 6 sharing dishes and a very decent bottle of wine for £25 was a very good promotion and the food was very good. Our desserts were also tip top.

And so to bed, it was a hot night, but sleep was very easy to come by for all 3 of us. My daughters travel cot had damaged webbing around it, it was minor, but if it got and worse would be in need of replacement. The main bed was big, comfortable with gorgeous soft white bedding.

Breakfast was a real treat, so much choice and the cooked breakfasts were cooked to order. My poached eggs were first class.

All in all a good stay. The staff were very polite and courteous and spoilt my daughter. Their first concern was making sure we were ok and we were very happy.

Would we come back, yes. Did we enjoy our brief stay? You bet!

Room Tip: Room at the back will be quiter. Poached eggs here are eggcellant!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We are family orientated hotel and we are happy to see that your daughter enjoyed her stay. Our Brassiere offer of 6 Platter Dishes & a bottle of wine for £25 has been very well received and is running until the end of August.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!