“terrible, an unpleasant experience”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
London, United Kingdom
“terrible, an unpleasant experience”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We would not recommend this hotel at all and it is quite shocking that it is rated four stars. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and our experience was just awful. The only good point we can list is the location- walking distance to the city walls which was great, especially as we wanted to spend the minimum amount of time in this hotel. The entrance is nice but tired and definitely in need of refurbishment. The room we were given was noisy from the traffic outside even with the window closed and we could hear EVERYONE going up and down the stairs, especially with heavy luggage (there is no lift- felt sorry for people staying on higher floors) hence we hardly got any sleep, but the bed was really uncomfortable anyway. The pillows were ok and the only acceptable thing about the room, which was also very dated, even more so than the reception area, with old carpet and dark old wallpaper which made the room feel really claustrphobic. The main issue we had though was how dirty the room was, especially the bathroom. Nearly every surface was covered in a thick layer of dust and the lampshades had actual cobwebs dangling from them. The bathtub was so dirty to the point of disgusting, with hairs from previous occupants of the room in the tub and the sinkhole. There were even hairs on the bathroom floor. We mentioned it several times to the reception staff and asked if they could have someone clean the room but the reception staff were so dismissive and become very defensive when you try to highlight a problem- which indicated to us that they are not very good at customer service. We gave up after 2 days of asking for the simple task of having a clean room because we were leaving the following day. Breakfast is not great either, with very slow service, even when there were not many other guests in the restaurant and most items seem to be in short supply in this hotel so it would be advisable to get to breakfast very early if you want something decent to eat. Overall a highly disappointing and unpleasant experience and we definitely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yellowadeleie
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel as this is a basic requirement that we aim to exceed expectations on. I was not aware of your issues when you were staying so was unable to deal with them directly. I will investigate your comments about our customer service and take appropriate action. Our team works very hard to make guests feel welcome so I am sure they will take your comments on board and learn from them. We do have a city centre location so some traffic noise can occasionally be heard but we do have double windows in all rooms facing the road.

I notice you stayed in June so I am unable to find out your contact information. If you could contact me directly to discuss the issues outlined I would appreciate it. My phone number is 01904 644 744.

Kind regards

Matthew Forster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Estepona
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Whilst visiting York, this July for our son's Graduation, we stayed at the Grange Hotel for two nights. Our first impression was how pleasant and helpful everyone was. Our room was spacious and very clean and well equipped. When I asked for an iron and ironing board, it was brought up to the room straight away. On the second night our eldest son stayed with us and shared our room; a further bed was made up for him at very little extra cost.
The breakfasts were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. I would recommend the hotel for the breakfasts alone! We did eat in the Brasserie on the first night but weren't terribly impressed with the quality of the food, which was a shame. We didn't try The Ivy.
The hotel is very conveniently situated to walk into York.
All in all a good hotel which I would be happy to stay in again,

Room Tip: Perhaps a room at the rear of the hotel with less road noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and congratulations on your son's graduation! I will pass your comments on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip to York.

croydon
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed at the Grange to celebrate my 60th birthday. It was in an excellent location - not too far from the station - and just a short pleasant walk into York's Centre. The bedroom was spacious and comfortable and there was a TV set in the wall at the bottom of the bath!!! It was the first time I've had the luxury of laying in the bath watching a film! Breakfast was excellent - a good choice and well cooked. We left the car at home this time and went by train All in all a good choice and no worries about driving into York which can be a headache at times. Plenty to see and do as always.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are very privileged to live and work in York and we are pleased you took the time to experience what the city has to offer. Hopefully we will see you again for your next birthday!

Kind Regards

Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our family, friends and relatives stayed at the Grange for 2 nights around the occasion of our daughter's wedding in July 2014.

The venue for the wedding was 'The York Hospiteum' on the York Museum site, which we would also recommend and is within short - 7 minute, walking distance of The Grange.

The Grange management and staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to us in the planning of our event and throughout our stay and were flexible to our wishes at all times.

The hotel is a wonderfully individual one, with a variety of different sizes, styles and colours of rooms to suit differing tastes and budgets.

We were delighted with the friendliness and thoughtfulness of all the staff there and hope to stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Talk to the managers and detail your requirements.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely comments in you recent review. We pride ourselves on first class customer service and I will pass your feedback to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grange in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and were delighted with our room and the hotel in general. The bathroom had a big bath and a shower that accommodated 2 easily. The bed was a generous size, and there was lots of storage space, including that must-have these days, a safe. It also had air-conditioning which made a big difference as Yorkshire was unexpectedly warm.
The breakfasts were generous and good quality, and the staff were friendly and courteous. My husband had an excellent cooked breakfast every day while I had lots of fresh fruit, cereal and toast until the last morning when I spoiled myself with Eggs Benedict.
Only a few minor issues, most of which the age and situation of the building can't help: a tiny carpark (tho we did get a space), a Fawlty Towers array of staircases up and down to reach our room (luckily we are fit), no full-length mirror in our room.
If we can afford it, we wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when we return to York. You can't say better than that.

Room Tip: If you're not keen on lots of stairs, you need to say when booking, to ensure you get an easily...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly pride ourselves on our Breakfast! I will pass your comments on to the chef team. I am also pleased to hear you got a parking space. We are one of the only hotels in York to offer free parking and sadly we only have 26 spaces, but we do offer discounted parking in a nearby pay and display car park once full.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 July 2014

After looking into a short break away in York we decided to book the grange due to its high star rating. After checking in we ventured to our room which was a king bedroom, however don't be fooled this looked nothing like any of the rooms the hotel advertises. The room was pleasant enough but was the first disappointment of many. The hotel advertises 36 individually decorated bedrooms in my opinion the only rooms shown in photos have an individual look ours was rather plain but satisfactory.

However once we went to put the television on most of the channels did not work and the ones that did had fuzzy signal, we had also seen on the website that sky sports was available in each rooms. Upon complaining about this to the reception I was informed that the website did not state that sky sports was available and had to bring the page up on my phone to show the hotel staff. After explaining to the hotel staff that this was not satisfactory that a simple TV signal was not given and they had wrongly advertised sky sports (which was quickly taken off the website) we were offered to be shown another room which would be a downgrade to a double, we refused this and were offered money off the room which we agreed too. We were also told this problem had just developed however I have seen someone else complaining about the TV signal from June and given we visited at the end of July I would suggest this is an ongoing problem.

The problems with our stay did not end there. We were having problems with the toilet not flushing properly and complained about this on the second night of our stay. The reception staff were quite rude and sent the maintenance man along to have a look, who I must say was the only friendly and helpful member of staff we encountered. He came along to our room and had a look and said he would be back along soon. On his return he asked if myself of my partner would be willing to look at a different room for our last night there, I proceeded to follow him to a different room. This room turned out to be the hotel suite, which we took the offer up of so enjoyed one night in a luxurious room and still received the money off we'd agreed to.

Even though the hotel did act upon our complaints to themselves the general attitude of all but one staff we encountered being less than friendly or helpful was a great disappointment. The hotel is not a cheap hotel and could be amazing with friendlier and more helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel for a room as advertised and make sure that this as at the back of the hotel as the fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine P
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that your original room allocation did not meet your expectations. I am however pleased to read that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade to our suite.

Customer service is our number one priority and it is shame that you were given the wrong impression by our team. I will look in to this further and deal with it appropriately.