The Grange Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
Hotel Noir(Clifton)
1,363 results
All reviewsivy restaurantpremier roommorning roomcar parklovely hoteldrawing roomfresh milk in the fridgecity centrethe ground floorfour posterwedding partyyorkshire breakfasteggs benedictsmall roomyork minsterlovely roomten minute walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have read the reviews, which is why I booked the Grange. I note the negative and would say if you are looking for a modern hotel with little character and simply functional, you know the brands, then this isn't for you. The Grange is old, it has character and charm, it is very clean and the staff are lovely, we, my wife and I, stayed here and had a lovely weekend. The breakfast is perfect, the ambience is peaceful, the furniture is interesting, with some wonky fixtures and fittings (safe and functional), the art work is lovely and the decoration is in keeping with the building.
The location is just right, five. Invites to the Cathedral at a leisurely pace. Parking at the rear, again ideal. Didn't have an evening meal, we visited Rustique on Castlegate (also fantastic). Will we stay here again? Absolutely. Note no lift....ok for us.

Room Tip: Our room was at the rear of the Hotel, the Hotel is on the A19, quite quiet in the evening but I can not say whether rooms at the front of the hotel are noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very proud of our period charm and I will pass your kind comments on to the owners and team.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

stayed here for a short break in july, great location 10 - 15 min walk into the center about 20 to the tappas bar we found.
asked for a double bed, when we arrived it was set up as a twin this was soon changed while we were out for some food. Breakfast good didn't try a evening meal so can't comment.
Got to say the hotel is looking a bit tired in places and could do with an update, tv showed limited channels and not what was advertisedand quite small for what is a 4star.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We currently have a restoration plan in place and we will be updating the decoration in certain areas over the coming months. Its a shame you didn't get a chance to eat in one of our restaurants and we hope you find the time to during your next visit.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

As couldn't get into my favourite place to stay in York, I booked here and it didn't disappoint. A good welcome, parking and the reception has an old fashioned (not in a bad way) hotel style without being ostentatious. My room was up a few stairs and there is no lift, but hey, we all need to keep fit. A porter was offered but I have my man pride! the staircase is a thing of beauty and decorated in a horse racing theme which is appropriate. The trope d'oile at the top of the stairs is quite amusing. The room was clean, the fittings all worked and the finishing touches like soaps, water, coffee, etc., were a cut above the ordinary. It was a very hot night and this room was without aircon, but a fully opening window and being at the rear of the hotel was all I needed for a good night's sleep. At Breakfast, I asked for smoked salmon scrambled eggs and some bacon. It was mountainous! and delicious. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Back is quieter, not all have aircon.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are proud of our breakfast and are happy to see that you enjoyed it! I will pass your lovely comments on to the team.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Let's be honest here - we like the Grange Hotel. We have stayed here on four or five occasions over several years and have had no major complaints at all. Our most recent stay in July was only marred by a problem with the air-conditioning in our room. We reported the problem immediately and the duty manager dealt with it to the best of anyone's ability at 9 pm in the evening. The problem was that some previous occupant had misplaced the control unit. You really cannot legislate for that. The rooms were clean and nicely prepared each day. Beds and linen were fresh. The bathroom was clean. The decor is probably due for a refresh but I like the slightly old-fashioned feel which is in keeping with the building. I hope it is not overhauled too much. Food in the restaurant and brasserie was perfectly good. Breakfast service can get a bit chaotic when the hotel is busy but the staff try really hard to keep everyone served. It is not particularly cheap but given the quality of service, proximity to York town centre and free parking - what's not to like.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "old building" are bigger.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review. We do have a refurbishment programme in place and I am happy to report that the owner works tirelessly to keep and restore the period features that our customers know and love. We are pleased to see you have visited us before and look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We would not recommend this hotel at all and it is quite shocking that it is rated four stars. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and our experience was just awful. The only good point we can list is the location- walking distance to the city walls which was great, especially as we wanted to spend the minimum amount of time in this hotel. The entrance is nice but tired and definitely in need of refurbishment. The room we were given was noisy from the traffic outside even with the window closed and we could hear EVERYONE going up and down the stairs, especially with heavy luggage (there is no lift- felt sorry for people staying on higher floors) hence we hardly got any sleep, but the bed was really uncomfortable anyway. The pillows were ok and the only acceptable thing about the room, which was also very dated, even more so than the reception area, with old carpet and dark old wallpaper which made the room feel really claustrphobic. The main issue we had though was how dirty the room was, especially the bathroom. Nearly every surface was covered in a thick layer of dust and the lampshades had actual cobwebs dangling from them. The bathtub was so dirty to the point of disgusting, with hairs from previous occupants of the room in the tub and the sinkhole. There were even hairs on the bathroom floor. We mentioned it several times to the reception staff and asked if they could have someone clean the room but the reception staff were so dismissive and become very defensive when you try to highlight a problem- which indicated to us that they are not very good at customer service. We gave up after 2 days of asking for the simple task of having a clean room because we were leaving the following day. Breakfast is not great either, with very slow service, even when there were not many other guests in the restaurant and most items seem to be in short supply in this hotel so it would be advisable to get to breakfast very early if you want something decent to eat. Overall a highly disappointing and unpleasant experience and we definitely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yellowadeleie
GrangeHotel, Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel as this is a basic requirement that we aim to exceed expectations on. I was not aware of your issues when you were staying so was unable to deal with them directly. I will investigate your comments about our customer service and take appropriate action. Our team works very hard to make guests feel welcome so I am sure they will take your comments on board and learn from them. We do have a city centre location so some traffic noise can occasionally be heard but we do have double windows in all rooms facing the road.

I notice you stayed in June so I am unable to find out your contact information. If you could contact me directly to discuss the issues outlined I would appreciate it. My phone number is 01904 644 744.

Kind regards