“Dissapointing”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 23 November 2008

Considering this is a 4 star hotel it lacked 4 star quality. Although a lovely building with some well maintained original features our bedroom was in much need of a refurb. As this was a special occasion we decided to book a king size premier room for which we paid £175 BB for the one night. For the money we expected a large well furnished room but what we got was very small with furniture that was a little on the shabby side. The bed was roomy and comfortable and we would certainly have had a good nights sleep had it not been for the sash window rattling loudly due to the wind outside. On a good note the staff were very welcoming and friendly and the breakfast was certainly above average quality. The hotel is a good 15 mins walk from the centre so bear this in mind if you decide to stay there.

Stayed: November 2008
price75, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2008

Many thanks for your review. I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom and I very much wish that I'd had the opportunity to rectify this for you during your stay. We currently refurnish 6 bedrooms each year, usually in January and February - I suspect that the bedroom you were allocated will be scheduled for refurbishment early next year. We do have six brand new bedrooms, featuring 18" flat screen plasma TV's at the end of double ended baths and air conditioning - I hope this demonstrates our continued investment in hotel facilities.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the service and warmth of my team - we always try to create a 'home from home' atmosphere with the highest quality food. I do hope that I can welcome you back to The Grange in the future. Can I suggest that you make your reservation directly with me so I can ensure you are allocated one of our newest bedrooms.

Thanks again for your feedback.

There are newer reviews for The Grange Hotel

Reviewed 16 November 2008

The Grange was a lovely hotel, with the decor to a high standard.
I do feel that the service was very poor and did not give value for money. My husband and I went with another couple for her 50th Birthday, so we felt we would splash out a bit and spend more than usual, we payed £255.00 for a king sized room. The service between the two rooms was different, my room the beds were turned down and we had bath robes, not in my friends, we had our coffee topped up daily they did not. The icing on the cake came when we went down for breakfast and orderd a full yorkshire, they forgot to put 2 items on the plate, sausage and potatoes, they got us the sausage but had RAN OUT of the potatoes, in a cafe may be but not in a 4star hotel! We also had to ask fo nearly every item we required for breakfast. All in all, nice surrondings, bad management.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank smithyWestMids
Reviewed 12 October 2008

Some of the complaints online put me off taking up my reservation. I can only speak as I found but I hope that this is a useful review:

Car parking - the car park is small but we simply handed our keys to the duty manager as we'd double parked, and he moved us into a space, leaving us free to get on with our weekend.

Service - some online reviews claim that the guests are ignored is there is a wedding on. There were two weddings this weekend and it had no impact at all on our stay. The staff were as attentive and helpful as I could have wished. I'd asked for a bottle of beer to be chilled in an ice bucket for our arrival as a joke for my husband. Although the hotel doesn't stock this brand there were no problems and this was sorted along with a lovely greetings card from the hotel.

Breakfast - although the napkins are paper they aren't exactly greasy spoon standard! The service was fine and there's plenty of choice.

Rooms - the hotel used antique furniture in our room (20 - a four poster room) which fit exactly with the period character of the Grange. Our room was clean and comfortable. I've read online reviews stating that the rooms are dirty and shabby - I can only speak from my experience but our room was lovely, as were the communal lounges and restaurants.

As I've already said I was in two minds whether to book somewhere else. I'm so pleased I stuck with my original plan.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
price75, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2008

Thank you for your very kind review - I am delighted that you decided to follow your instincts and stay with us! It was I who arranged the Newcastle Brown Ale for your bedroom; being from Newcastle myself, how could I refuse! I do hope I can welcome you back to The Grange again.

Reviewed 2 October 2008

My partner and I got married on September 9th, and booked our wedding breakfast and evening celebration at the Grange Hotel.

The hotel is lovely, with charming decor and a warm and welcoming feel. The wedding planner, Suzanne, was superb throughout the planning and booking process, making my husband and I feel completely relaxed in the run up to the big day.

On the day itself, the wedding reception went without a hitch. Every single member of staff was warm and professional. The food was superb throughout the day, and the staff saw that all our requirements were entirely satisfied.

The rooms were perfect - clean and comfortable. We would reccommend this hotel to anyone thinking of holding their wedding reception in a great venue.

I can't speak highly enough of the service, catering and overall hospitality and warmth at the Grange. They made our day extremely special.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Thank you for such a wonderful review and congratulations! Yes, Suzanne is superb, she has organised every kind of wedding and I am delighted that she kept you relaxed before your big day. My team have seen your comments regarding their high standards of hospitality and service and they wish you all the best too. Don't forget to come and see us on your wedding anniversary... you're entitled to a discount on your room rate and a glass of champagne on us!

Reviewed 29 September 2008

I really wanted to stay here based on the reviews on trip advisor,but every time I went to check availability on trip advisor it always said not available. I emailed the Grange directly and got an immediate reply that they had rooms and a special for 3 nights, which I accepted and was emailed a confirmation.
Upon arrival, good location in York, their car park (free) was full and I was a little upset as what to do. I went to reception and Rachel, who was on the desk, could not have been kinder. She said to leave the car, she sent a bellhop to get the luggage, and asked us to leave the car keys and they would move the car for us. Rachel, Chris and Graham were 3 employees who were most kind and helpful answering our questions.
We were given a room in the new part of the hotel with a king bed made beautifully and with high thread count sheets. The room was a little small but for England not bad. The bath was very nice a good size with a seperate tub and shower.
Breakfast was included in the room price and was excellent. If you are going to York UK this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2008

Just returned from a weekend at the Grange Hotel.

The location - approx 5 min walk from the shops and a few mins longer to the station was great and wouldn't cause a problem for anybody bar the bone-idol.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly. We arrived early and the man at the reception was all too happy to store your bags until your room was ready - with the bags delivered to your room. Also noticed a similar service being offered to people leaving as well.

The hotel itself is quite stylish, without being pompous. Being a summer weekend, the hotel was hosting a wedding. So a certain amount of noise, kids running around was experienced. Not the perfect place for a quiet weekend away, but to be honest the noise wasn't a huge problem.

Beds were confortable and the rooms generally were decorated to a high standard.

Bathroom was in the traditional style of the hotel itself, but the shower/ bath was hot and water pressure good.

Breakfast was good, we had no service problems. Tea/ coffee/ toast/ cereals and a cooked breakfast. Staff were friendly and efficient in service. The little book in the room does mention that 0930 - 1000 on a Sunday morning was busy so best avoided if you want a quieter breakfast.

In summary, can't really fault the hotel it was great. Location was good. Just a bit pricey. To be honest I have stayed at better 4* hotels for cheaper, but don't let that put yourself off the Grange, Get a good price on the rooms and the hotel could be excellent value as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2008

Returned to York for Birthday Treat & what a treat it was to stay at The Grange.

On the M62, a rock hit our rental car's windscreen shattering it. We arrived in York, told the front desk who took care of everything we needed to replace the windscreen. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Great central location - the 5 minute walk along the river to York is beautiful from start to finish.

The room is lovely & elegant in a traditional English style (perhaps small based on US standards).

Breakfast was enormous, with a varied menu & great fry up.

There was a lovely lounge area - perfect for our 2 year old.

The staff were welcoming & helpful - helped point us to all of the best parks in the area.

This is a great hotel & well worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family