“A nice hotel....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
stoke on trent
“A nice hotel....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night,combined some christmas shopping with a mini break for myself and my fiancee.

The hotel is a short walk from yorks main shopping area,hotel staff polite/hotel clean/resteraunt served nice food in pleasant surroundings albeit a bit on pricey side.

I booked through late rooms an exec style room for £150 b&b
room was fairly small but nice with nice big bed and adequate bathroom,clean and tidy.

A nice pleasant stay and some great shopping.

• Liked — Only 10 min walk into york centre
  • Disliked — Expensive resteraunt.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

We have just spent a long weekend with friends at the Grange in York, celebrating our respective wives birthdays. We wanted something very special and we were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, the service was exceptional. All staff were polite and professional, the rooms were comfortable and well furnished, the food, both at breakfast and dinner (we ate in the Ivy Brasserie and the Cellar Bar on successive nights) was top class. In fact we could not fault anything.

I had asked the hotel for help in organising flowers for our wives and these were already in the rooms as we checked in. Brownie points for all concerned!

The leisurely stroll into the city was short and on the flat and the hotel was within easy reach of all the attractions.

In summarry, we were looking for a country hotel in the city; we certainly found it.

• Liked — Good decorations, comfortable bed, large room
  • Disliked — The dustmen calling at 6.30 in the morning in the road outside!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
fIFE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

Nice hotel -near to York and very good for walking. terrible receptionist - unhelpful and raised his voice to us and other guests.
Only other problem was the fact that rooms were not cleaned until after lunch when we were getting ready for function.Corridors were littered with beeding and duvets hung over bannisters.

• Liked — Decor of room
  • Disliked — Reception
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
price75, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2008
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with one of my Receptionists. My staff are constantly trained in the skill of customer care and attention and I am sorry that this was not evident in one member of my team.

I understand your frustrations at having your bedroom serviced in the middle of the afternoon when you were attending a function. My team of Housekeepers would have been more than happy to service your room at an alternative time - be it earlier or later - to fit your schedule.

Indeed it is difficult to hide away the equipment required to service bedrooms whilst operating in a listed building and I am sincerely sorry that this had such an impact on your stay. We are constrained by lots of health and safety requirements and so avoid leaving trip hazards such as linen on the floor.

I am very grateful for your feedback. Many thanks.
Sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

Considering this is a 4 star hotel it lacked 4 star quality. Although a lovely building with some well maintained original features our bedroom was in much need of a refurb. As this was a special occasion we decided to book a king size premier room for which we paid £175 BB for the one night. For the money we expected a large well furnished room but what we got was very small with furniture that was a little on the shabby side. The bed was roomy and comfortable and we would certainly have had a good nights sleep had it not been for the sash window rattling loudly due to the wind outside. On a good note the staff were very welcoming and friendly and the breakfast was certainly above average quality. The hotel is a good 15 mins walk from the centre so bear this in mind if you decide to stay there.

Stayed November 2008
price75, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2008
Many thanks for your review. I am sincerely sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom and I very much wish that I'd had the opportunity to rectify this for you during your stay. We currently refurnish 6 bedrooms each year, usually in January and February - I suspect that the bedroom you were allocated will be scheduled for refurbishment early next year. We do have six brand new bedrooms, featuring 18" flat screen plasma TV's at the end of double ended baths and air conditioning - I hope this demonstrates our continued investment in hotel facilities.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the service and warmth of my team - we always try to create a 'home from home' atmosphere with the highest quality food. I do hope that I can welcome you back to The Grange in the future. Can I suggest that you make your reservation directly with me so I can ensure you are allocated one of our newest bedrooms.

Thanks again for your feedback.
west mids
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

The Grange was a lovely hotel, with the decor to a high standard.
I do feel that the service was very poor and did not give value for money. My husband and I went with another couple for her 50th Birthday, so we felt we would splash out a bit and spend more than usual, we payed £255.00 for a king sized room. The service between the two rooms was different, my room the beds were turned down and we had bath robes, not in my friends, we had our coffee topped up daily they did not. The icing on the cake came when we went down for breakfast and orderd a full yorkshire, they forgot to put 2 items on the plate, sausage and potatoes, they got us the sausage but had RAN OUT of the potatoes, in a cafe may be but not in a 4star hotel! We also had to ask fo nearly every item we required for breakfast. All in all, nice surrondings, bad management.

• Liked — bedroom
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank smithyWestMids
Tyne and Wear
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2008

Some of the complaints online put me off taking up my reservation. I can only speak as I found but I hope that this is a useful review:

Car parking - the car park is small but we simply handed our keys to the duty manager as we'd double parked, and he moved us into a space, leaving us free to get on with our weekend.

Service - some online reviews claim that the guests are ignored is there is a wedding on. There were two weddings this weekend and it had no impact at all on our stay. The staff were as attentive and helpful as I could have wished. I'd asked for a bottle of beer to be chilled in an ice bucket for our arrival as a joke for my husband. Although the hotel doesn't stock this brand there were no problems and this was sorted along with a lovely greetings card from the hotel.

Breakfast - although the napkins are paper they aren't exactly greasy spoon standard! The service was fine and there's plenty of choice.

Rooms - the hotel used antique furniture in our room (20 - a four poster room) which fit exactly with the period character of the Grange. Our room was clean and comfortable. I've read online reviews stating that the rooms are dirty and shabby - I can only speak from my experience but our room was lovely, as were the communal lounges and restaurants.

As I've already said I was in two minds whether to book somewhere else. I'm so pleased I stuck with my original plan.

• Liked — Location and service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
price75, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2008
Thank you for your very kind review - I am delighted that you decided to follow your instincts and stay with us! It was I who arranged the Newcastle Brown Ale for your bedroom; being from Newcastle myself, how could I refuse! I do hope I can welcome you back to The Grange again.
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2008

My partner and I got married on September 9th, and booked our wedding breakfast and evening celebration at the Grange Hotel.

The hotel is lovely, with charming decor and a warm and welcoming feel. The wedding planner, Suzanne, was superb throughout the planning and booking process, making my husband and I feel completely relaxed in the run up to the big day.

On the day itself, the wedding reception went without a hitch. Every single member of staff was warm and professional. The food was superb throughout the day, and the staff saw that all our requirements were entirely satisfied.

The rooms were perfect - clean and comfortable. We would reccommend this hotel to anyone thinking of holding their wedding reception in a great venue.

I can't speak highly enough of the service, catering and overall hospitality and warmth at the Grange. They made our day extremely special.

• Liked — The friendliness and professionalism of the staff
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for such a wonderful review and congratulations! Yes, Suzanne is superb, she has organised every kind of wedding and I am delighted that she kept you relaxed before your big day. My team have seen your comments regarding their high standards of hospitality and service and they wish you all the best too. Don't forget to come and see us on your wedding anniversary... you're entitled to a discount on your room rate and a glass of champagne on us!