“top class service,”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This hotel is well worth every penny, We stayed in an amazing four poster room and not a thing wrong about it.

service was top class, could not put a finger wrong even when ordering food over the phone they said 20 minuets and dead on time they where there.

The breakfast food was great, will tell people its worth staying.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2009

Thank you for your wonderful review. I was very happy to read that we more than met your expectations with regards to all aspects of your stay.

I hope I can welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Grange Hotel

Reviewed 2 October 2009

We had an enjoyable stay at the Grange which offered excellent accommodation.
The service, food and accommodation was excellent and enabled us to celebrate our wedding anniversary in style. The flower arrangements throughout made the hotel beautifull. It is ideally located near the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mevrouw
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2009

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grange Hotel. I am glad we were able to meet all of your expectations during your stay with us.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Any trip for my husband and me involves concern about location of hotel, and how disabled-friendly the amenities are, as my husband has limited mobility. We had not realised that The Grange does not have a lift but when our difficulty was mentioned on checking-in, a ground floor room was readily made available. The room at the rear of the hotel, was large, comfortable and quiet. The location of the hotel was ideal being within walking distance of the centre of things. We ate at the restaurant for lunch on arrival and dined there on both evenings of our stay. On the second evening we had felt rather more like a snack than a meal . The room service menu appealed but we did not want to stay in our room. We discovered too late that the 'Sofa service' listed meant room service in the 'morning room' - an attractive and comfortable period sitting room - which would have provided the perfect compromise. Full marks to the general manager who took the trouble to acknowledge our evaluation left on departure, explaining that review of the' morning room' was planned. This speedy response was a reflection of the service overall which was exemplary, all of the staff being attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2009

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted that we were able to cater to your special requirements and that you found your stay meet with your expectations.
The Morning Room is available to used as a more informal dining area by both residents and non-residents alike and I am sorry you were unaware of this fact at the time of your stay. I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 27 September 2009

My wife and I stayed just one night, meeting up with friends who joined at at the hotel for dinner. On arrival we could not get into the car park as it was full due to a Wedding Reception. When we complained, we were told "we only have parking for 20 cars but we have 36 rooms"!

We had room 9 - well appointed but perhaps the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in. When we compalined we were told we could pay an extra GBP30 to upgrade to a "Premier room"! There was a debate about whether we had booked a "standard double" or a "small standard double". We had booked the fromer and were assured room 9 met this criteria. If so, then we can't imagine how tiny the latter must be!

The food was OK - nothing to write home about but perfectly adequate for a 4-star hotel. The service was slow particularly at breakfast in the morning - we had to prompt for everything. We have mixed views about the staff feeling they lacked professionalism, certainly what you would expect in a 4-star hotel. Great location being literally a few minutes walk into the heart of the City of York.

In summary, too small but well appointed room, distinct lack of car parking, poor service, good location. Unlikely we will return - we prefer the Churchill Hotel in York where we have stayed before which is literally just over the road!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us.

We do only have limited parking and work on a first come first served basis. We always strive to ensure that we fit as many of our residents cars in to our car park as possible and on the Saturday in question there was only 1 non-resident car in our car park. I am truly sorry we were unable to fit your car into our car park on this occasion.

We are more than happy to upgrade our guests if we have the availability and as such we were able to offer you the choice of moving into one of larger premier bedrooms.

I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations when it came to your breakfast service on Sunday, rest assured I will review this with my Food and Beverage Manager and revisit our Breakfast service procedures.

It is of course your right to stay at any Hotel you wish but I do hope we are able to restore your faith in The Grange Hotel if you were to choose to return to us.

I am very grateful for your feedback. Many thanks.

Reviewed 23 September 2009

room was great - had a large king size room - very clean & comfy. However, the service is variable to say the least. Food is ok - nothing special and the portions seem to vary depending on who is cooking. We ate in the restaurant on the Sunday & food was ok - although someone made a complaint that they had a tiny portion. Breakfasts - i had hot food , my partner's was cold. next day we were given a doll sized portion. final day I did ask if we could have more mushroom - as other days we were only given about a 1/4 of one which I thought was odd and the waitress was a bit arsey about it. I get the feeling they're not bothered if you say anything. service is generally very slow - the staff loll around gossiping - so I'd say customer service is not their thing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2009

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to review my hotel and also to apologise for the delay in responding to your review.

I was very disappointed to read that you found the food to only be ok and the service to be generally slow. Here at The Grange we pride ourselves on always exceeding the guests expectations when it comes to service and for you to have the experiences you have detailed is inexcusable and I will be carrying out customer service training with all of my employees. I have also reviewed our breakfast offering having recently taken over as General manager and we now, I believe, give a more substantial portion at breakfast.

Once again, thank you taking the time to review my hotel and I do appreciate your comments and hope to be able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 September 2009

We stayed at this Hotel with grown up children and partners for my husbands birthday.
It was every thing that we hoped for, It is a lovely Georgian Building, very central for York City Centre. The restaurant for dinner and breakfast was first class. The staff were all very helpful and everywhere spotlessly clean. The staff on reception helped me with organising a company to dress our table with balloons etc as a surprise for the birthday dinner. The other evening, we ate at the restaurant called The Limes which we had prebooked before going, which was just as well as we had the last table 10 days before, there food was also excellent.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am glad that you found my staff to be very helpful and breakfast and dinner to be first class. We do pride ourselves on the service we offer our guests and I am delighted you found this to be the case.

I do hope that I am able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 September 2009

We stayed for two nights on a short break around Yorkshire with York our first port of call. First impressions were good(ish). The hotel had parking - no mean feat in the centre of York - and the decor was good - stairwells plastered with memorabilia from the races. The receptionist on duty was a bit frosty. Slight disappointment, but acceptable.

The slog up the stairs wasn't easy with luggage - no lift! - but the staff were on hand to help. The room itself was fine. Nothing spectacular, and could do with updating, but acceptable enough. Sadly the bed was rather lumpy and way too soft which rather detracted from its size! As for the bathroom..... well, it all worked absolutely fine, but why do hotels insist on putting such utterly useless glass shower shields up? The one in our room barely reached half way across the bath leading to a very wet bathroom floor every morning!

As far as dining options go, breakfast was utterly superb. Absolutely no two ways about it. Superb. Dinner, on the other hand, was a very indifferent experience. While the general quality of the food was very, very high, the potatoes we'd ordered as a side weren't heated through, and service was somewhat of a let-down. Asking for wines by the glass to accompany each course and not having one arrive until midway through the starter was just about excused, but totally forgetting the night cap..... Tut tut.

Location, of course, is superb, and overall, I'd say The Grange is fine for a short stay. Oh if only they could've got some of those details right.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank retsnuf
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2009

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I was disappointed to read that we had failed to meet your expectations on your visit to The Grange Hotel. We pride ourselves on our Customer Service and that you were met by a frosty reception is very disappointing to read. We are constantly updating our rooms and will endeavor to locate the room you stayed in and put it next on our list for refurbishment.

I am undertaking, along with our new Restaurant Manager to roll out new Food & Beverage Service Training to all new and existing staff, this will stop any future issues (hopefully) similar to the ones that you experienced.

Once again, I do thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback as it is through constructive feedback that we are able to improve as a business. I do hope we will welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.