“The best so far”

Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
Hitchin, United Kingdom
“The best so far”
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Lovely old building. Furnishings fantastic - very old regal style. Staff great, breakfast very nice.

Perfect hotel to match Yorks historic beauty.

Really enjoyed my stay here. I have been coming up to York for business a lot recently and tried many hotels. This was by far the best.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2009
Thank you so much for taking the time to review my Hotel.

I was delighted to read that we were able to meet and in some cases exceed your expectations and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Cheshire
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Just a little write up to say that we have had another lovely stay at The Grange Hotel. We have stayed at this Hotel 25 times over the past 3 years.We came across this hotel before we had children many years ago and had such a good time then, we keep coming back to stay many years on.The Hotel is beautiful and the staff are very helpful and work very hard to make sure we enjoy our stay.My husband and i cant wait to come back and stay before christmas.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2009
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of The Grange and I am so glad that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grange Hotel before Christmas.
Norfolk
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The hotel is stunning, our room was lovely. The breakfast was amazing and there was plenty of it. The staff were so friendly and helpful, we couldn't have asked for any more.
We will be going back there again very soon.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2009
Thank you for your wonderful review and I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the near future.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This hotel is well worth every penny, We stayed in an amazing four poster room and not a thing wrong about it.

service was top class, could not put a finger wrong even when ordering food over the phone they said 20 minuets and dead on time they where there.

The breakfast food was great, will tell people its worth staying.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Thank you for your wonderful review. I was very happy to read that we more than met your expectations with regards to all aspects of your stay.

I hope I can welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.
Totnes
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We had an enjoyable stay at the Grange which offered excellent accommodation.
The service, food and accommodation was excellent and enabled us to celebrate our wedding anniversary in style. The flower arrangements throughout made the hotel beautifull. It is ideally located near the city centre.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mevrouw
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 6 October 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review The Grange Hotel. I am glad we were able to meet all of your expectations during your stay with us.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.
Glasgow
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Any trip for my husband and me involves concern about location of hotel, and how disabled-friendly the amenities are, as my husband has limited mobility. We had not realised that The Grange does not have a lift but when our difficulty was mentioned on checking-in, a ground floor room was readily made available. The room at the rear of the hotel, was large, comfortable and quiet. The location of the hotel was ideal being within walking distance of the centre of things. We ate at the restaurant for lunch on arrival and dined there on both evenings of our stay. On the second evening we had felt rather more like a snack than a meal . The room service menu appealed but we did not want to stay in our room. We discovered too late that the 'Sofa service' listed meant room service in the 'morning room' - an attractive and comfortable period sitting room - which would have provided the perfect compromise. Full marks to the general manager who took the trouble to acknowledge our evaluation left on departure, explaining that review of the' morning room' was planned. This speedy response was a reflection of the service overall which was exemplary, all of the staff being attentive and friendly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, 29 September 2009
Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted that we were able to cater to your special requirements and that you found your stay meet with your expectations.
The Morning Room is available to used as a more informal dining area by both residents and non-residents alike and I am sorry you were unaware of this fact at the time of your stay. I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future.
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 27 September 2009

My wife and I stayed just one night, meeting up with friends who joined at at the hotel for dinner. On arrival we could not get into the car park as it was full due to a Wedding Reception. When we complained, we were told "we only have parking for 20 cars but we have 36 rooms"!

We had room 9 - well appointed but perhaps the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in. When we compalined we were told we could pay an extra GBP30 to upgrade to a "Premier room"! There was a debate about whether we had booked a "standard double" or a "small standard double". We had booked the fromer and were assured room 9 met this criteria. If so, then we can't imagine how tiny the latter must be!

The food was OK - nothing to write home about but perfectly adequate for a 4-star hotel. The service was slow particularly at breakfast in the morning - we had to prompt for everything. We have mixed views about the staff feeling they lacked professionalism, certainly what you would expect in a 4-star hotel. Great location being literally a few minutes walk into the heart of the City of York.

In summary, too small but well appointed room, distinct lack of car parking, poor service, good location. Unlikely we will return - we prefer the Churchill Hotel in York where we have stayed before which is literally just over the road!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay with us.

We do only have limited parking and work on a first come first served basis. We always strive to ensure that we fit as many of our residents cars in to our car park as possible and on the Saturday in question there was only 1 non-resident car in our car park. I am truly sorry we were unable to fit your car into our car park on this occasion.

We are more than happy to upgrade our guests if we have the availability and as such we were able to offer you the choice of moving into one of larger premier bedrooms.

I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations when it came to your breakfast service on Sunday, rest assured I will review this with my Food and Beverage Manager and revisit our Breakfast service procedures.

It is of course your right to stay at any Hotel you wish but I do hope we are able to restore your faith in The Grange Hotel if you were to choose to return to us.

I am very grateful for your feedback. Many thanks.