“A little disappointing”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Spent 3 nights in York at the Grange and after reading their appointment to the Sunday Times Top 100 Hotels in the World, thought we'd be in for a treat. We got a 3 nights for the price of 2 offer which I felt was still overpriced for its location, services and amenities. Ordinarily this type of room would have cost us in excess of £500 for 3 nights.

On the positive - Great looking room, albeit small, obviously recently refurbished but the finish around the room was a little poor - badly grouted/ siliconed bath area/ wallpaper peeling at edges. Good location - 5 minute walk to town. Mostly very friendly and efficient staff making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

On the not so good side - Car parking a problem - whilst the hotel offer to take your keys and move the car in to a space when it becomes available (great idea!) we had to wait for 10-15minutes on two occassions for the hotel to come and move cars that had blocked us in. TV in the bath was great but it only had 4 out of the 15 hotel channels available to watch. Food was average- i had to send my main course back one night - the beef was so dry it should never have got sent out. The prices are high enough,, so why not the quality of the food? Breakfast was OK, but on the small side.

As other reviews suggest, could be so good but lacks a few things to make it a good hotel from an average one.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2010

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, it is through your feedback that we are able to become a better hotel for our Guests. I was very disappointed to read about the issues associated with your bedroom and I have asked my Maintenance Manager to resolve these issues as soon as possible.

I am sorry you had to wait for your car to be moved on two occasions, for this I am truly sorry as as you say we do try to manage our car park to fit in as many cars as possible and I will esnure that we are more pro-active when our residents need to get out.

I am sorry you only found the food to average, we do pride ourselves on our food quality here at The Grange Hotel and for you not to find it only average is disappointing.

I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel and that you allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

There are newer reviews for The Grange Hotel

Reviewed 1 January 2010

We stayed for one night between Christmas and New Year , 3 adults and one child in adjoining rooms.
The ambience at this time of year in the hotel was lovely , the rooms well appointed and spotless.In addition nothing was too much trouble for the management and staff.
A well recommended hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family

Thank you very much for you wonderful review.

I am glad that we more than met your expectations during your brief stay with us and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2009

An excellent hotel to visit at Christmas. Log fires, Georgian spleandour, clean comfortable rooms. Very small negative was size of car park but staff coped with this really well and operated a form of valet parking.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2009

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

We pride ourselves on offering above and beyond what our customers expect and I am delighted we succeeded during your stay.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the New Year.

Reviewed 30 November 2009

My wife and I had set our heart on a long weekend stay in York to celebrate our anniversary, and used TripAdvisor to give us some guidance on suitable hotels. We chose The Grange as it appeared a very comfortable hotel, it was within walking distance of York City (and it had an open fire - high on our list of must-haves for November!!).....lets just say we were not disappointed.

Let me get the negatives out the way first.... the bedroom (room 9) wasn't anything to write home about. It was their standard room and was very small and as the window opened at ground level onto the main road, I could see noise might be a problem in summer, if you wanted to have the window open. But hey, it was November and it was cold and wet outside, so the window was shut and we were cosy inside. As for the space, ok it was small, but we were only there to sleep.....if you just want a place to sleep, a Travel Lodge would do just as fine....what The Grange excelled at was not the bedroom, but everything else!!!

The location could not be better, being only a five minute walk from York Minster and the rest of the York city centre. The hotel has its own parking too, albeit a little cramped with barely enough space for everyone…but the staff were quite happy to manage the parking situation for us, so we left our car keys with them, and got on with our weekend.

The hotel is exceptionally cosy, with a warm fire and comfortable lounge with sumptuous furnishings and occasional table lamps....just the place to unwind after a day out in the cold. The ambience felt sophisticated, without being pretentious. We immediately felt at home, and did not get that out-of-place feeling you sometimes get when you visit some of the more pompous hotels.

Next up, the food. Sublime!! The menu was not extensive, but there was a good choice and everything on it was cooked to perfection and presented immaculately. We were staying for three nights so chose a fair selection from the menu, and not once were we disappointed. The dinning experience was genuinely very agreeable with the food delivered in a timely manner by some of the best staff I have met in a hotel.

Which leads me nicely to the Staff. This had to be The Grange’s secret weapon! The staff were always professional and always attentive. However, what set them apart was a genuine desire to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Here I have to name-drop. Sam; you get my gold-star for customer-satisfaction!! She was ever attentive, bubbly and cheerful and what is more, on finding out it was our anniversary weekend, served as a plate of petit fours interlaced with the words “happy anniversary” in chocolate…a very nice touch. Oh, and not to forget Sam dreaming up a really sublime chocolate amaretto drink to warm us at the end of a particularly long, cold day visiting the Yorkshire Sculpture Park…now that is service!

All in all the experience at The Grange was outstanding, and I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting York.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2009

I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations during your stay with us at The Grange Hotel.

I am please to read we recognised your special occasion and made it even more special. We are very proud of our staff here at The Grange and I will ensure that Sam is made aware of your very kind comments.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2009

We booked this hotel ages ago for our first weekend away together. On arrival we were given a double with an adjoining door, never a good thing. Asking to move we were told all rooms were booked and taken. We may as have spent the night with our coughing neighbour for all the sleep we got.

In the morning we asked to move again and were told there was a spare room, unoccupied from the previous night. This was very frustrating to find out after a poor night. The new room was lovely, quiet and everything we wanted.

We were promised the manager would call us to discuss events, however we received no call. We had to call him and explain everything, however it was then sorted very professionally. We received money back for the first night.

It’s a lovely hotel in a great location and well worth staying at, however we were clearly frustrated at the service we received.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

It is always disappointing when a guest doesn’t receive the Service that I feel all of our guests should receive here at The Grange. I am glad you enjoyed your second evening in the hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the delay in calling you and in fact that I had to call you at all, and hope that following our conversation and the recompense we made to you that we will be able to welcome you back to The Grange in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2009

I am not normally a fan of writing reviews but I feel as there was no appology or recognition of my complaint by the manager of the Grange here we go. I picked the Grange on location and from the pictures they display on the internet. When I looked at them along with the cost of a double room at 193 pounds I thought it would be great. Instead what I found was a small pokey room which had barely any room to move around the two ancient single beds that had been pushed together to form a double!! Couple this with 2 separate headboards with a mind of their own, were with even the slightest movement they would bang and clatter together. I believe this would be acceptable if we had paid 30 pounds for a B&B, anyway be warned as not all the rooms are worth of the big price tag.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
DominicBishop, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2009

I am very disappointed to read that the previous General Manager failed to respond to your complaint. Being unsure of the exact nature of the complaint, I can only offer my apologies for inconveniences that you experienced during your stay at The Grange. We are in the process of an on-going refurbishment of all our bedrooms and I am disappointed to read of your experiences during your stay here.
I hope that we can persuade you to come back to The Grange Hotel in future and assure you of our best intentions at all times.

Reviewed 25 November 2009

Having been unable to find a suitable 5 star 'chain' hotel in York we booked the Grange using the interest and expected to be dissapointed.
Didn't get off to the best of starts, the hotel has a tiny car park (car parking in York is at a premium so be aware!), there were no spaces when we arrived so we had to keep watch until someone left and then claim the space! Not sure what we would have done otherwise as there wasn't a public car park in easy reach.
Once we got into the hotel, we stayed just 1 night in the Suite, everything was better. Nice sized suite, little noise from either other guests or the main road outside (once the rush hour had subsided) and very relaxing.
Had room service for evening meal and breakfast - both superb.
Staff excellent and general feeling of the hotel is Coutry House style but in the city centre.
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good quality hotel in York and we'll definately stop again.
Thanks.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback and I was delighted to read that we more than met you expectations following your stay with us. We strive to offer service above and beyond other hotels and I am glad that on this occasion we did so.
As you state car parking in York is at a premium and we do fit as many cars into our car park as possible and I was pleased to see you did get a space in the end.
I do hope we are able to welcome you back to The Grange Hotel in the future and assure you of our best intentions at all times.