“Disappointed - did not meet our expectations”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Disappointed as the initial booking had been very helpful and efficient and in view of the price we expected excellence. However, although a potentially good hotel, its promise is not delivered owing to many irritating failures:
After a three day experience it seems the quality of service is something of a lottery ranging from individuals whose performance was very poor to others who were good.
First impressiion scruffy corridors; piles of used linen and vacuum cleaner left in corridor outside our room for most of the day.
The room was in excellent state of decoration, but spoilt by torn fabric on the lampshades.
We had been recommended to pay extra for a room to the rear of the hotel, however when there is a noisy function this does not help.
Checking out took a long time as they had calculated our bill incorrectly, charging us for items we had not had and not charging for what we had.
We booked a meal in the Ivy restaurant with a guest on our first evening. However, they seemed surprised to see us in the restaurant. The "head waiter " was scruffy" and unable to answer our questions about items on the menu, saying it was "new", but no attempt was made to find out from anyone.
The young New Zealander who did serve us was friendly. However, my husband (the only one to order a dessert )was brought the wrong one, the coffee was unremarkable and when we had finished our meal we could not find anyone (the restaurant was quiet that night) we therefore left the table. We let the receptionist know that we had not been asked to sign for our meal (however, when we finally booked out they had failed to charge us for the meal) they seemed to doubt our word that we had had a meal, but on checking in their reservations book they found our name, but our attendance in the restaurant had not been noted. They then had to run off and find out what we owed. Incidentally we had been charged for items we had not had and so the bill had to be recalculated.

We asked for an early room service breakfast on our first morning (6.30am). This arrived exactly on time, but although we had ordered croissants we were given white toast as apparently croissants were not available until the chef came in. Why offer them then???
On the second morning I ordered poached smoked haddock for breakfast. This was cold and raw in the centre. Again, we could not find a waiter and so I ate what I could and reported the problem later. They were mean with the butter. Marmalade was just a runny syrup with some rind in it and the ?jam was something unrecognizable. The glasses on the table were dirty with lipstick on them.
Finally on our third morning (a Saturday) there was a much more impressive team of breakfast waiting staff. They were very efficient, helpful and attentive, there was more butter and buffet table was fully stocked.
The complementary tea/coffee tray in the room was not topped up daily, nor was the bottled mineral water. We were given one biscuit on our final day.
Be aware that you can get locked into the car park, despite staff assurances that it will be no problem!!
We will definitely not stay here again. There are many better places in York that will meet your expectations.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silverfocus

Reviewed 9 July 2007

Stayed here for our wedding and had the reception here as well. Very helpful staff wonderful room, although as it was the suite I would expect no less! But having seen other rooms I would highly recommend it. Not too sure about price as it wasn't cheap but we felt it was value for money. Very comfortable rooms, lovely breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jumpingmonkey
Reviewed 5 July 2007

This is a typically old fashioned English hotel perfect for a romantic break. The furnishings are fabulous and the food is sublime!!! stay in for dinners in the warmth by the fire. It's also a nice place to have a relaxing dring pre and post meal (quiet drink not much happening but chilled). I have never eaten such wonderful food in a hotel definitely worthy of awards and fairly reasonable. For breakfast you have to try their home made porridge with honey and there cumberland sausages( wow). For dinner I only ate up stairs although downstairs is meant to be good too.

You are paying a little extra considering no facilities but everything is of a very high standard and quality. I love having facilities on holiday but gladly sacrifice to stay here. The town center is very close and this time round took the train up from london (only a coupleof hours). Next time I want to stay for more than 2 nights as I love north yorkshire then I'll bring the car. I've been there twice now and generally don't return to hotels this place won't let you down. I would rather stay here than 5* chains as I did in the past. I paid a little extra for a 4 poster room which paid dividends with the Mrs. We had fun although I'm not so sure the next room did lol.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dynham
Reviewed 29 May 2007

This is a lovely hotel just a pleasant short walk (ten mins) from the City centre. We stayed there for one night and found it to be clean and comfortable, well maintained with excellent friendly service. The upstairs restaurant looked lovely, as did the one downstairs (although that was closed the evening we stayed). We had already planned to eat at La Tasca in the city so we just had a drink in the bar - the bar staff were very helpful with directions and the drinks were reasonably priced.

The decor in the hotel itself is contemporary, however we did feel our room was a little old fashioned - floral wallpaper, which is not really to my taste but it was well decorated and maintained.
We booked through expedia and paid £99 for the two of us for the night (this did not include breakfast) and it was well worth the money. We had plenty of tea and coffee although you had to dial room service for milk! Lovely shortbread biscuits too! Toiletries are also provided as are bath robes, a hairdryer and an umbrella!

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank golcarilly
Reviewed 25 March 2007

This is a nice, traditional (if rather old fashioned) English hotel. Location is good, about five minutes walk from the Minster. The rooms are big and clean, with all the usual facilities. Bed was comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast is very nice. There's a lounge area and a bar. Would probably suit older travellers very well as has quite a nostalgic air, but was also reasonably child friendly. Teenagers may not be so appreciative of the oil paintings and regency atmosphere. There's also nothing for young people to do at the hotel (no gym/pool/games rooms etc.).

Only downside was the plumbing, which was noisy and not terribly reliable, and the heating, which had two settings - too hot, and too cold. The windows were also rather rattly and draughty, though I was staying during exceptionally high winds so this may not be such a problem normally.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank FearfulFlyer
Reviewed 25 February 2007

This is my idea of a nice hotel.
Not sure if the previous reviewer was in the same Grange hotel in York that my wife and I stayed in. It was my birthday so we had 3 nights in February.
Rooms where very nice, and included safety deposit box , mini bar., bath robes, porterage from car park to rooms.
They turn down your beds in the evening and restock your tea and coffee . Just ring reception and they supply fresh milk for the tea and coffee in the room. We had a king size room. ( See pictures.)
Hotel is well kept and oldie worldy. Decor is nice. See pictures of lounge with proper fire place.
We had good breakfast, staff were all very friendly and we willl use this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stewart M
Reviewed 7 February 2007

If you're going to spend this much money on a hotel in or around York, I suggest that you take the plunge and either a) go to Middleton Hall for a few pounds a night more and get a lot, lot more for your money or b) go to the Abbey Inn at Byland, to the North of York where you'll pay a lot less for much nicer surroundings.
Whilst it was attractively (ish) decorated and relatively clean, the bedlinen and bath towels smelt of cigarette smoke and the noise from the party on one of the lower floors kept us awake until the small hours.
Breakfast was served the next morning in stylish surroundings, but it really wasn't very impressive - one very small, undercooked sausage, some rather limp bacon and a very, very nice egg, coffee barely adequate - should have gone to Starbucks in town. The overall impression wasn't helped by the fact that practically every table was complaining about something.
I would not recommend this hotel, and will not hurry back there - I expected something really special and got something really average. As time goes on, I feel more and more ripped off.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple