“The Grange met our needs for the trip in every way.”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 26 November 2010

The hotel was near to the centre of York and enabled us to stroll into the city after a good breakfast. Our room was ideal for us and the food and ambience of the restaurant was very good. A very relaxing break.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay at The Grange. I am also very pleased to learn that the bedroom, ambience and breakfast were to your satisfaction.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future

Yours sincerely

George Briffa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed 24 November 2010

Having stayed here numerous times over the last 5 years whilst our son was at boarding school next door, it is time to do the deed and write a review.....it is a lovely hotel!
Yes some rooms are larger than others, however this tends to be reflected in the price per room category - unless it is race week etc. All rooms are very clean and fitted to a high standard, I think I have stayed in about 80% of the rooms over the years and do favour some but there is nothing "wrong" with any.
The staff are charming and very well motivated, indeed engagement of the staff in their various roles at all levels seems high on the agenda for the Management and Owners.
I used the hotel this week after having not stayed for a 2 - 3 month period since our son left school. At first glance the restuarant menu did not enthuse me but after a cheery welcome from restaurant front of house I decided I would give it a go over my earlier choice of the grill room.
The food was first class, really good and different without being a chemistry lesson gone wrong. The starter of goats cheesecake was brilliant, totally faultless. In addition the head chef was kind enough to let me have his recipe on request, and also came out to see that I was happy with his instructions....last time I asked for a recipe in a similar establishment the chef refused....grounds of confidentiality - he could have asked me to sign a non disclosure agreement (LOL!). I chose a second starter with a main size portion to follow, calves liver with pancetta and pineapple and again beautifully executed. Really good food, and cooked exactly as I requested. Pudding was excellent - carrot cake with ginger stem ice cream - a very well judged balance of flavours.
Pity the son has gone off to pastures new for the next part of his education - visits to
York are no longer so frequent....

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank judidurham037
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your superb review as I am sure you appreciate your revue will boost the staff’s morale. On behalf of everyone at The Grange it has been a pleasure being of service to you over the last 5 years or so. It is a shame that your son moved away therefore the visits to York is not as frequent.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 20 November 2010

I stayed at the Grange for two nights when I was attending my graduation in York. My sister and I received a very warm welcome and the staff were extremely polite, friendly and helpful for the duration. Both of the restaurants were fantastic, although we had wait for a while in the grill for our food to arrive (around half an hour between courses), however this was completely forgiven after tasting the food. I definitely recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast in the Ivy Brasserie!!! The rooms were lovely and comfortable and very clean. The shower was great, (I often find showers in hotels only give you a trickle of water but this was nice and powerful). All in all a wonderful hotel which I will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: November 2010
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2010

Dear Guests

On behalf of everyone at The Grange we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is also very kind of you to express your views on this site; it will certainly boost the staff’s moral.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 November 2010

We pre-booked a room based on favorable TA reviews of this property. We arrived after a long days drive to get the last spot in the small car park...see other reviews for comments on this. We were greeted by an efficient but not terribly friendly woman and given the keys to our room. Upon entry we were shocked at how small the room was considering the photos on their website and the price we were paying. It was barely big enough to walk around the bed and our luggage would have taken up any add'l floor space. We had much higher expectations for this property and ended up moving to another hotel nearby for our stay in York. The manager on duty, Gary, was very nice and helpful, but they had no larger rooms available. The hotel was lovely from what we saw, but just be aware that unless you have only a small overnight bag, there is not much room in the rooms we saw. I was really hoping for a better experience...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2010

Dear Guest

I am sorry to learn about your experience. Needless to say I am disappointed to hear that you did not find the room tariff represents value for money. The tariff we apply to the bedrooms is very much dictated by size of the bedroom itself and its facilities. It was also a shame we could not afford you alternative accommodation due to being full at least you would have had the opportunity to determine whether or not our tariff represent value for money.

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Stayed at the Grange Hotel with a friend for a weekend break. The location of the hotel is excellent, just 5 minutes down the road and you arrive at the Minster. The Hotel is very clean and comfortable and every member of staff we met were friendly and helpful. We had booked a Premier Twin room which was spacious and extremely comfortable. I think the bathroom is the biggest hotel bathroom I have ever been in! We didn't have dinner during our stay but the breakfast was very good with a nice hot and cold selection of food. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2010

Dear Guest

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for expressing your experience on this website; it is a tremendous boost to the team.

I am also very pleased with your comments relating to the spacious bathrooms (most bedrooms enjoy such space) and for the breakfast we served.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 October 2010

I went to stay at The Grange with my Mum as a special treat after she had been poorly over the Summer. The hotel itself is beautiful and the location is fantastic. However, the cleanliness of the room was disappointing. A couple of hairs were found in the bath and bidet and dust had not been removed from the picture rail, skirting board, bottom of chairs etc. for a long time. Cobwebs were hanging from the ceiling. We did complain and could not fault the service. Helen was brilliant - gave us some complimentary drinks in the lounge while the room was re cleaned and also saved us some money on the price of the room. The housekeeper also came to see us the next morning and was very apologetic and helpful. This didn't really spoil the overall stay but a 4* hotel should have more attention to detail. Breakfast was fantastic.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

Dear Guest

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for expressing your experience on this website; it is a tremendous boost to the team.

Although the lack of hygiene should not have happened in the first place from time to time we do we fall short in our standards and if we are made aware we will do everything within our power to rectify them as demonstrated in this incident for which we do apologise.

Reviewed 28 October 2010

We have nothing but praise for the Grange. The accommodation and the friendleness shown to us by all the staff was excellent nothing was too much trouble . If you are looking for somewhere to stay in York just try the Grange and you will be delighted with everything. A.S

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family