“A pleasurable experience”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 20 December 2010

The hotel is well appointed for a visit to York. A short walk and you enter the city via Bootham Gate. The staff are very welcoming as was the cosy well decorated room. The food was excellently prepared and presented. The only downside was the limited a la carte menu due to it being so close to Christmas. In all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2010

Dear Guest
I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay at The Grange and thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. I am sorry for finding our menu to be a little limited however the whole concept of the menu will change once the Festive Season is over.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future

Yours

Reviewed 16 December 2010

Beautiful hotel, fantastic location and helpful staff. Would definitely recomment this hotel and will be staying again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2010

Dear Guest

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at The Grange. Thank you also for expressing your satisfaction on TripAdvisor and for recommending The Grange.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Regards

Reviewed 12 December 2010

For what is billed as a boutique hotel this does dissapoint a little, rooms look tired though are clean and nice. Reception managed to make errors with final bills which was frustrating.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2010

Initial bedroom given, small, tired looking, furniture damaged poor standard of maintenance in room & throughout hotel. Carpets worn on staircase etc. Don't believe the pics on the web site. Requested a specific room, 2 months in advance to be told by the general manager I’d have to pay £25 more per night being told this was a premier room not a classic room though it feature’s as a classic on their site. Changed rooms next day as loud music was playing 5.45am we believe from the kitchen below. Next room had a cracked sink, leaking wc.. Also bedroom door was left ajar by staff all day! Approached manager to air my issues, he felt this was acceptable accommodation at a 4 star level. No apology for leaving our room insecure either. The grange is a lovely building though lacks the care, attention & money, it needs.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am very surprised you went public with your issues, however we both discussed these at great lengths when you raised them with me on the day of departure and to say some of the issues you wrote about are inaccurate is an understatement.

As explained in great detail your reservation was for was a standard bedroom the best we had on offer when you made the booking. On the day of your arrival I upgraded you free of charge to a better bedroom and as you where still not FULLY satisfied with the bedroom, I offered you another upgrade for the aforementioned £25.00 per night (discounted by some £85 per night). Eventually as you stated that you cancelled a holiday to Cyprus to stay at The Grange my reception manager upgraded you free of charge. I do not believe a slight crack in the sink and a few shoe spots on the carpet constitute the bedroom being labelled of poor standard.

I also explained to you the bedroom pictured on our website and the one you are refereeing to was not included in the special promotion we were offering when you made the booking and also it is the hotel’s policy not to guarantee a specific bedroom unless guests pay the full published rate. But there again you already know this.

I categorically deny your statement that the door was left ajar all day. The bedroom as serviced after lunch and the most the door was accidentally left unlocked was for some 3 hours and unless an individual attempted to open the door it was unnoticeable.

I am also flabbergasted with your statement that the management (meaning me) had no interest in customer service, brushed you off and did not apologise. I certainly spent quite a lot of time discussing all the issues with you and certainly personally apologised to you for the shortfalls. I feel the only way you would have been satisfied is by waiving all the charges of your stay.

Any guests reading these comments and wish some clarification please contact the general manager direct and a full explanation will be given

Reviewed 27 November 2010

I booked a small double ensuite for a one-night stay in York for me and my husband and found it to be the smallest hotel room either of us had ever stayed in. We were not expecting anything too spacious but were slightly shocked by the very small double bed, with one side against the wall, the dark wallpaper which covered the ceiling too - adding to the clautrophobic atmosphere. Once the luggage was in the room there was little space to move about. Having stayed in a comparable hotel 2 minutes from here and for a similar price, I must say we were a little disappointed. On the plus side, the room was very warm which was a blessing as it was snowing during our stay and the breakfast was good (even thought we had to send the toast back as it was barely cooked).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2010

The hotel was near to the centre of York and enabled us to stroll into the city after a good breakfast. Our room was ideal for us and the food and ambience of the restaurant was very good. A very relaxing break.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay at The Grange. I am also very pleased to learn that the bedroom, ambience and breakfast were to your satisfaction.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 November 2010

Having stayed here numerous times over the last 5 years whilst our son was at boarding school next door, it is time to do the deed and write a review.....it is a lovely hotel!
Yes some rooms are larger than others, however this tends to be reflected in the price per room category - unless it is race week etc. All rooms are very clean and fitted to a high standard, I think I have stayed in about 80% of the rooms over the years and do favour some but there is nothing "wrong" with any.
The staff are charming and very well motivated, indeed engagement of the staff in their various roles at all levels seems high on the agenda for the Management and Owners.
I used the hotel this week after having not stayed for a 2 - 3 month period since our son left school. At first glance the restuarant menu did not enthuse me but after a cheery welcome from restaurant front of house I decided I would give it a go over my earlier choice of the grill room.
The food was first class, really good and different without being a chemistry lesson gone wrong. The starter of goats cheesecake was brilliant, totally faultless. In addition the head chef was kind enough to let me have his recipe on request, and also came out to see that I was happy with his instructions....last time I asked for a recipe in a similar establishment the chef refused....grounds of confidentiality - he could have asked me to sign a non disclosure agreement (LOL!). I chose a second starter with a main size portion to follow, calves liver with pancetta and pineapple and again beautifully executed. Really good food, and cooked exactly as I requested. Pudding was excellent - carrot cake with ginger stem ice cream - a very well judged balance of flavours.
Pity the son has gone off to pastures new for the next part of his education - visits to
York are no longer so frequent....

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank judidurham037
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2010

Dear Guest

Thank you for your superb review as I am sure you appreciate your revue will boost the staff’s morale. On behalf of everyone at The Grange it has been a pleasure being of service to you over the last 5 years or so. It is a shame that your son moved away therefore the visits to York is not as frequent.

We look forward to welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future

Yours sincerely