“Bad value for money”

Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This is the first time I've written a review but I feel compelled because we were very disappointed with this so-called 4* hotel. We stayed here in summer, during our tour of Europe. Several unfriendly members of staff (no smiles, cool and matter-of-facty), some were nice and helpful, though. Small room. Housekeeping not thorough in their cleaning and blocking the hallways with bags and bags of dirty laundry and cleaning products in big, plastic containers. Literally the whole, narrow corridor leading to our room was blocked in the mornings, looked like a cheap, run-down hotel, completely inappropriate for the extremely high prices. Coming down from our room, we had to use the exit via the restaurant because the hallway was 100% blocked.

We didn't complain because we didn't want to argue and knew that we would not be getting any money back.

Value for money: Really bad. Would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Floridatravellerz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 31 October 2011

I took my boyfriend to Dean Court as a surprise for his birthday at the beginning of July. On our arrival we were told we had a free upgrade! I had booked a standard double and we ended up in a beautiful large room with a four poster bed and views of York Minster directly outside our window. The staff were so friendly and helpful; even offering to park the car for us. Breakfast was absolutley delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
It must have been something special as my boyfriend proposed in our hotel room! Hopefully we will be going back for anniversaries for years to come!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Was looking for a nice hotel in the center of York for the August Bank Holiday, Dean Court ticked all the boxes. It was in a great location next to the minister, the rooms looked fantastic and it had some good reviews!

We paid quite a considerable amount of money (£320 / £165 a night) and was expecting a luxury room to justify the price...When we got to the hotel, the doorman took our car away to the private car park whilst we booked in, we were suprised that we also had to pay for the parking on top of the room fee which worked out at £15 a night.

The room we got was very small, there was hardly any room to walk around the bed which required you having to basically shuffle around the edge of the bed to get around. The room was nicely decorated, the bathroom was ok.

I don't think it was worth the premium we paid for and we've found other places in York, which have just as good location at half the price with bigger rooms.

Don't think we'll be stopping here again just purely because it doesn't justify it's price, can get much better value else where.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I had so been looking forward to staying at the Dean Court Hotel for a night, wanting to get pampered, getting ready for a business meeting the next day. I was also hoping that this could be my York base in the future, as I will be back regularly for business. My stay was, however, a huge disappointment, for which I paid a large amount of money altogether.

Reception: When I entered the hotel, 3 people (!) were tending to an elderly lady who was checking out (she was not in need of physical help, they were just talking to her), not one of them greeted me! It took about a minute till a fourth person came to the front desk to greet me. However, there was no friendly ”Welcome to ... etc.“ but a cool, ”Hi, can I help you?“ She then noticed that they had overlooked that I had requested non-feather bedding and started whispering to the Manager. They settled that but all in all I already didn’t feel very welcome.

When I asked how long the shops were open on Sundays (it was already 4 pm), I got a non-answer (oh, they will be closed about now but it depends). When I asked for more details, I didn’t get any more information. I had the feeling that the person had no clue about shops around the hotel, otherwise she could have volunteered a few immediately. Why does someone work in this business if she’s so disinterested in what guests are interested in?

Room: Broomcupboardy ("small double", room 63 - I had not booked a single precisely for the reason of not wanting to get ”the extra room“, which is often used to stick single travellers in at hotels in old buildings). Dangerous for one's head when leaving the room - nasty angle protruding on the right, hit my head on it first time I left the room - beware! Also quite a climb up a narrow staircase (2nd floor).

Housekeeping: Desaster. The drain in the bathtub/shower was so disgustingly clogged up that I had to stand in a 4 inch pool of soapy water while washing my hair. Disgusting! After having finished my shower, little, cut hairs came up from the drain and it was impossible to wash them down because the drain was so completely clogged up with long hairs (this must have taken weeks to establish!). I tried 4 times, using the shower head and using very little water. It all grossly stayed in the tub, that’s how badly clogged up it was. I almost became sick at one point. Upon telling reception about this situation and requesting to have the drain unclogged, the lady (who was completely cool and detached, she only apologised after I had insisted twice on how disgusting it was) said she'd look after it and would have the porter do it immediately because housekeeping were only coming back about an hour later. I told her NOT to have the porter (who had been very helpful and kind) do it but wait till housekeeping were back in, so as not to punish someone for housekeeping's fault. Anyway, how CAN housekeeping be so ignorant, so completely uncaring and unprofessional and not do anything about what was a huge number of long hairs in a bathtub drain? At a regular room rate of £145? When I came back from a walk in town, I passed reception and asked the Manager if he had heard about the disgusting drain in my room. He said he had, that he was sorry and that it had been fixed. Turns out it was the porter who had had to do it. How unfair and unnecessary.

On a positive note: When I got back to my room, I found a box of 9 chocolates on the desk with a note of apology. That was a nice gesture but it still did not compensate the disgusting experience in a room for which I was paying very much money.

Food: I then had dinner at the D.C.H. restaurant. The chef doesn't know the difference between medium-rare and medium-well-done. I had ordered medium-rare but got medium leaning towards well-done. The second try was much better and it was indeed medium-rare. Nice. But then I came across extreme amounts of ligaments throughout the steak, about one fourth into the steak, NOT at the egde of it. That part was absolutely uncuttable, let alone edible. When I’d finished eating the part without ligaments, I told the waitress to please pass on the comment about the ligaments and all the massacred looking pieces of meat on the plate, due to my futile attempts to cut it.

She never came back to tell me about the chef’s opinion, let alone offer an apology. I then had to call another waitress, who happened to be passing by. Finally, the original waitress came out again and I repeated my comments. She became flippant and stomped off into the kitchen. She came back to ”explain“ that the steak had been fine and that the chefs would have eaten it with pleasure. Come again? What was she talking about? Turns out, she was referring to the first steak that I had sent back. I corrected her and repeated my statement about the ligaments in the second steak and she then said that it was normal to have fat on a sirloin steak. Great, so she doesn’t know the difference between fat and ligaments but is waitressing at, presumably, York’s highest rated restaurant? She stomped off into the kitchen again, saying she’d get the chef.

About 10 minutes later, the chef AND the manager walked up to my table and asked me what the problem might have been. Imagine the embarrassment. I had never asked for the Manager! Everyone was all ears and it was highly unpleasant. I explained things for the fourth time and again got the silly answer about the ”fat“. But what did I expect? After all, he can’t even cook a steak correctly on the first attempt. Then he went on to say that it’s normal to have ligaments and fat at the edge of a sirloin steak. Ok, but I had just spent a minute explaining that the ligaments had not been at the edge and therefore made a large portion of the steak inedible. Feeling very upset by now I thought I might as well mention another cock up, namely the fact that the chips and vegetables had not been newly prepared but that the steak was simply put on the original plate again. Why did I notice? I had eaten one of the chunky and easy to count fries and some of the kale - how likely is it that my "new" plate had just that one chip missing and that large piece of kale? Exactly… However, the chef now pretended that it had been done all new - of course, with the Manager breathing down his neck! Lying in front of his boss is understandable (from his point of view) but it made my dinner an even bigger disappointment, as he didn't even own up to that mistake (let alone the first, miscooked steak and the excessive ligaments in the second steak). I felt hugely embarrassed, sitting there alone and being listened to by all the other guests close by.

All in all: A huge disappointment at a price of £ 22.50 for that steak, the embarrassment came free, compliments from the chef!

Breakfast was pleasant, mainly due to very kind breakfast staff. Thank you!

Upon check-out there was no word from the Manager. Apparently, it was ok for him to let me go on that hidiously embarrassing note of the previous evening. The check-out person on duty (a gentleman with a north American accent) was very pleasant, though. I wish I had had more contact with people like him during my stay.

Despite some positive aspects, which I have all mentioned above, I cannot give this establishment more than an overall rating of a 1 because my overall impression and experience was so extremely disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
9  Thank Strawberriesw_Cream
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Lovely Hotel in a beautiful City with excellent and professional staff. Always a pleasure to stay

Room Tip: There 're all nice
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed here for two nights and had a fantastic time. The staff are exceptional and go out of their way to be helpful. The room was lovely, clean and spacious and eating the delicious breakfast in the shadow of York Minster made for an excellent way to start the day.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2011

first of all the location was perfect! WE were right smack dab in the middle of everything! The girl at check in was sweet as could be and had us set up in no time. Tom was always close by to help with our bags and anything else, as well as the others. The entire staff was absolutely superb! We were made to feel like we were staying with family! It truly was that awesome. I stay in hotels about 300 days a year for my job and have never been treated so kindly in all of my years staying in hotels! This place has it all and does it all. If I can't get a room here when I visit york, I just wont be going!

Much thanks to all of yall! South Africa, David, Christine "Dad" and Tom...I'm sorry if I left out a name everyone was fantastic!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with 2 twin beds. They were extremely cozy comfortable! Plenty of nice pillows a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends