“An overnight stay”

Ranked #7 of 46 Hotels in York
Derbyshire
“An overnight stay”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We only stayed one night for B&B but found the hotel very good. The room was pleasant and the breakfast enjoyable. We had stayed many years ago and the hotel had improved under the new management and we shall certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Don't have a room overlooking the War memorial on Remembrance Sunday Week. The men from York Co...
1 Thank rowan31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I was booked in by my company for 1 night all I can say is this is the best hotel I have now stayed in York. The customer service from all the staff is the best I have ever had. The room was out of this world by size and comfort. Had food in the Bistro, could not fault it in anyway. The breakfast I was spoilt for choice. I would recomend this hotel to anyone who is going to York, could not get more central.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GeorgeK014
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Great location for visiting the town, friendly staff. The hotel public areas appear to have had a modern make over a few years ago but now showing signs of wear and in need of refreshment. The rooms and connecting halls have heavily grubby and chipped paint work and are "sad" looking.
Biggest problem with this hotel is house keeping, my room remained unserviced until 3:15 at which time I contacted the general manager who seemed uninterested. Spoilt my plans for afternoon siesta!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Canterburypaul
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Our arrival at this hotel could not have gone better, we were a little unsure about double parking outside but both the receptionist and the hotel porter assured us that everything would be fine, and it was. The porter took our case from the car and insisted on carrying our coats and other bags aswell all the way to our very large room (17) and then whisked the car away to their own car park, it was all very slick and professional. Throughout our stay the service was exceptional and the staff seemed very genuine. The location was perfect for us as there were shops, bars and restaurants all within a couple of minutes walk. We were a little concerned about the bells at the Minster but they did not chime between 11:00pm and 08:00am so that was OK. We can recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

2 Thank travellingbrian
Birmingham
Reviewed 11 November 2012

We booked this hotel at the last minute for a one night stay in York. I would consider it expensive at £160 a night including breakfast but the good reviews and amazing location persuaded me to book.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. The service from start to finish was impeccable with the front of house staff friendly, helpful and willing. Phone call from reception to check the room was ok was a nice touch. In particular the night porter deserves a mention for his credible efforts in chatting to us and serving us a drink at 2am after a night out. He epitomised the pleasant nature of all the staff here.

The room was not the largest for the price paid but it was definitely clean and most importantly the bed was large and extremely comfy. Usual array of teas, coffee and biscuits as you expect in such a hotel.

We also made it to breakfast in the morning, and I can't really fault the food. The full english on offer was great, albeit nothing special, and was served up speedily. If I was being picky I would say that the juices weren't chilled enough but it feels slightly like picking faults for the sake of it. It was a solid breakfast and set us up ideally for the day.

Worth adding it is £13.50 per night to have your car valet parked and with no real alternative you may as well add that in to the cost of your stay if driving. I kind of expected this from visiting city centre hotels before, but worth mentioning to those who may not.

The only thing stopping me from giving the hotel 5 stars is that instinctively I do feel it is slightly overpriced, but the service and location probably do (just about) justify the price tag.

2 Thank Steve L
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Booked this hotel because the 5 star we'd hoped for was full, but in the end glad we stayed in this one as it is better located. We had a few days here for our honeymoon. We paid about £415 for 3 nights including breakfast.
The hotel is right next to York Minster, and for those who are worried about being woken up by the bells (like I was) you can't hear anything with the windows shut! Very quiet indeed where we were at the back of the hotel.
The hotel has secure valet parking, which gives you one less thing to worry about. In York you can walk to more or less everywhere, so we didn't get the car out at all while we were there.
The room was cosy and had tea/coffee facilities - we had extra fresh milk provided in a jug, I know it's a small thing, but makes you feel more at home.
I'm disabled, and we had notified them of this when booking, but I don't think the room was the right one for us as afterwards, when I'd provided feedback about needing more handrails etc, the manager said that we should ask for room 20 if we stay again.
This brings me to the staff and management. All of the front of house staff were absolutely great, couldn't have been more helpful. We also met the general manager, who replied by letter to the feedback I'd given. I was impressed that he took such a personal interest in and responsibility for customer satisfaction and we would stay here again on our next visit to York, although I don't know if we'd pay the extra for a deluxe room as it wasn't very big.
I saw another review which said the hotel was overpriced, and I think it is quite expensive, but when you look at the other York hotels, it's doesn't compare badly.
I think the best thing about this hotel was the breakfast. Really great porridge and cooked breakfast with a huge variety of cereals and breads to choose from.

Room Tip: Make sure the hotel themselves are aware of your needs and don't rely on a 3rd party like bookin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank z j
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Just returned from weekend at the DCH. Booked standard double. Room huge, bed even bigger, toiletries and robes provided. Best of all nice friendly staff where nothing is too much trouble. We were there for my husbands birthday and all the staff from breakfast onwards wished him a happy birthday. We had lunch in their bistro and they came in with a complimentary plate of cakes with happy birthday iced round the plate. The food is excellent and well presented. It's the personal touches that make it special.

Room Tip: If you book online check its a standard double and not a small double. Small doubles are nice but on...
1 Thank Sue E