“Great location and staff that aim to please”

Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Right across the street from the Minster and around the corner from 2 different areas with small shops and venues to explore, the Dean Court is a great location to stay for a walking vacation in York. I spent 2 nights here.

I arrived early, and they do mean it when they say '2pm checkin', but they delivered my bags to my room while I dined in The Court restaurant in the hotel lobby. My room and a few others were in corners of the hotel that are not lift accessible, but for checkin and checkout the porter was fast enough at picking up my bags that it wasn't a problem.

The room I was in was beautifully decorated, though there was some peeling paint in the bathroom. In addition to the main bedroom the room included a den with two bunk beds, additional tvs and many board games, so it would be an excellent choice for family stays.

All of the desk and wait staff were friendly and gave excellent directions to various destinations in York. During my stay in Sheffield and Manchester earlier in my trip I was unpleasantly surprised at the low quality of service in various restaurants, and that definitely isn't the case in The Court.

I recommend the Dean Court as your base of operations during your next York vacation!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,714)

Reviewed 4 December 2009

My husband and I love staying at the Dean Court Hotel when we come to York. It has a beautiful location overlooking the York Minster but this is not the only asset...the hotel is comfortable, staff very friendly and helpful and according to my husband the breakfast kippers deserve the "5 kipper hotel" recommendation....highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Dean Court for a week this summer and it really wowed us. The location is wonderful. York Minster is a stone's throw from the hotel, which made it easy to walk to all the in-town sights, and even the train station for day trips. We used a taxi only to carry our luggage to and from the train station.

The room was not the largest I have had in the UK, but it was spacious enough. The decor was modern, and comfortable, although like many hotels, lighting could be improved. Because the hotel is an older building, it is not air conditioned, although there was a fan in the room, and a portable air conditioner is available for an additional fee of 25 pounds. We found the fan kept the room adequately cool. The view from our window was spectacular. York Minster filled the entire three pane window. Magical.

The full english breakfast was of an extremely high standard with a buffet of cold items, and the waitstaff provided cooked-to-order eggs with all the sides one could wish (potatoes, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes. . .) There were also other prepared hot dishes available such as eggs benedict, smoked salmon, etc. It isn't just the variety of items which impressed but the quality of the basic ingredients and the care with which they were prepared. It measured up with the best breakfasts I have had in the UK, even in posher hotels.

We never ate lunch in the hotel, but we did have dinner one night. While the menu is limited, the cooking was of extremely high quality and well deserving of its two AA rosettes.

Negatives are few and certainly easy to put up with given the overall value this hotel provides. The elevator is small and slow, and corridors are narrow - what you would expect in an older building. There are limited public rooms, although they were adequate except when there was a wedding party in the hotel.

For its price point, this hotel is hard to beat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yougowhere
Reviewed 24 November 2009

my husband and i visit York every year to have a few days away and celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have stayed at many of the different hotels in the city centre but after our most recent stay at the Dean Court Hotel i can honestly say we have found the best hotel and the one we will return to on every future visit to York. The staff were the most friendly and professional anyone could ask for, the hotel iitself is not only located in the most beautiful position of the shadow of the York Minster but it's decor is warm, clean and stylish. the accomadation was perfect, the food delicious, and the service was nothing more than brilliant.

Reviewed 19 November 2009

My wife and I stayed for four nights at the Dean Court, and cannot do other than give it the highest praise - for its thoughful hospitality, cleanliness, quality and choice of food, helpfulness of all staff, and general "ambience". Given its position opposite the Minster and in the centre of the city, it could not be bettered.
Bob Wilkinson

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Stayed for one night here -it is a great location directly opposite the Minster, and in easy reach of all the sights. Room was clean and comfortable -with a huge bath, which was a nice surprise. The hotel has valet parking (expensive at 12 pounds per day) -so you don`t have easy access to your car if you need anything from it. The breakfast was good, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Luckily it was not hot -so we didn`t need air conditioning. The hotel offered to hire an air conditioning unit if needed - for a mere 25 pounds a day!! I think this is a bit of a cheek, and would be unhappy if I had to pay that on a hot day. Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel for a short stay (or business trip) to York.

Reviewed 27 October 2009

Recently stayed with my wife for 2 days. No air conditioning but wasn't needed. Rooms were larger that I expected and a huge bathroom. Very accomodating and location could not be better for the Cathedral, Ghost Walk or the Shambles.