“Great place to stay for a mini-break!”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great place to stay for a mini-break!”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed for 2 nights last weekend with friends and had a thoroughly lovely time.

Our room was very clean and bright and the staff were very welcoming and accommodating. We asked for tea/coffee on the saturday evening as our room had not been serviced (due to my husband accidentally leaving the do-not-disturb sign on the door!) and they could not have been more helpful. The room was modern, and we really liked the shower area, but thought it odd the toilet was left separate, and quite old fashioned with painted wood chip on the wall. Would have been more 'wow' if included in the main bathroom refurb.

The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and was regularly replenished, and a good location to walk into the centre and attractions.

Although we went for a weekend with friends, the hotel appeared to be very family friendly (wii games in foyer, pool etc) so we will return with our children in the future.

Many thanks to all for a wonderful stay, especially 'Gregory' who provided us with some excellent Pina Colada's and Bombay Brambles.

• Stayed October 2011
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Good afternoon. Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you had a great time and considering coming back with the children next time. I have personally spoken to Gregory and shared your comments with him. He was very pleased. He also mentioned he just created a new cocktail which was worth trying next time you are around! Thank you once again and see you soon.

Kind regards,

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Superb time had by all. hotel fantastic. The room was very spacious and grear for us all. there was My grandaughter had a great time in the smimming pool and loves york. we visited the train museum and also the yorvik.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Good evening. Just a few words to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. We hope to see you soon and that your granddaughter will enjoy our newly designed swimming pool!

Thank you once again.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I stayed here on business last week and felt this hotel did not live up to my expectation of the Novotel brand. First was address it is not in Fishergate but actually a residential side street Fewster Way and the car park was an additional charge. I asked for wifi access and was told it was chargeable through my room, just follow instructions on TV. When I queried this with reception later I found that it is actually a wired internet connection and wifi is not available through Hotel.
The room was basic and dated, had to ask at reception for a shower mat which I did not notice until I was already undressed, two shower heads and no idea what they were for. Walls were rough and gave a feel of holiday chalet decor!
Ate breakfast and evening meal in restaurant which was good, although no toast with the pate starter and the TV in TV dinners area did not work. Service was excellent and staff friendly.
I would suggest you find a good deal for this hotel as you would be disappointed to pay rack rate, but good location for doing tourist and shopping thing. I dont need to be in centre so will try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: shop around for good deal on-line, there is a lift so all areas accessible
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay and wanted to confirm that the hotel does provide both wired broadband via the TV or laptop and also WIFI via your laptop only. I shall communicate this again to our reception team to avoid any confusion in the future. I was however pleased you found our staff to be friendly and professional. Thank you once again for your comments.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Second time here - a year on since the last visit, the decor could do with upgrading. A lot of the furniture in the entranceway/bar is looking damaged and needs changed, Likewise, walls/carpets in room have seen better days.

Staff are good, very helpful and the food in restaurant is nice, but not cheap. Liked the breakfasts.

It's not cheap when races are on, although offers better value at other times.

Swimming pool is ok and gave the kids something to do one morning.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are quieter and offer river views
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Good morning. Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I just wanted to inform you that as of week starting the 7th November we are fully refurbishing our swimming pool as well as the lounge. I hope you will have the opportunity to come and visit us again to appreciate the changes. Thank you once again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 October 2011

A good value hotel with pool, 24 hour room service and excellent breakfast. Another plus point is that the Hop-on/hop-off bus stopped right outside the hotel. On the down side when you book as a family the room should be equipped for a family - we had to ask for additional towels, cups, tea etc. A minor downside that did not deteriorate from the excelent holiday in York.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Good morning and thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will certainly look into your comments with regards to the extra amenities for families. Thank you once again and we all hope to see you again soon.

massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We visited this hotel as a stop over between London and the Yorkshire Moors. The hotel is conveniently located within a quick walk from the train station just on the edge of the city. The room was acceptable but nothing to write home about as it was dated and a little tattered. Both the room and the bathroom were clean. The staff was nice but did not seem to want to go out of the way and be extra helpful in giving foreigners ideas of what to do in this great city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Good morning. First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor. I am extremely surprised you did not find our staff particularly helpful on this occasion and will certainly share your comments. We usually pride ourselves for our genuine good customer service.

Thank you again.

Littleborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I've stayed in this hotel previously but on this occasion I didn't really enjoy my visit.
The lobby and restaurant furniture is tired and shabby, my rooms broken plaster and fixtures, smelly drains and lack or proper closed sanitary bins is not what I'd expect from this brand.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 15 October 2011
Good morning and thank you for your comments.I have taken your comments into consideration and investigate them. I wouldlike to however mention that the refurbishment of our leisure facilities is scheduled to start at the beginning of November as well as the main lounge area. Thank you again.