“not bad”

GreenLeadersBronze level
county durham
“not bad”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My real score is probably more like a three and a half and I probably would have rated this hotel as a four, had I not had experience of the novotel leeds, which I think is better. Sorry novotel york but you just dont scrub up.

The whole point of chains is you kind of know what you are going to get and it was our prior experience of the chain that led us to make the booking, but we were just disappointed.

Location is fairly good. Ten minute very easy walk into town (although we stayed the weekend of the first snows). Close enough for shops, restaurants and the sights but far away from the noise and the hen and stags.

Rooms are reasonably equipped but both my husband and I were really disappointed with the room. It is difficult to express what the issue was. The bed was comfortable enough, there is a sofabed, tv, mini bar, hairdryer, safe, iron, good shower etc, but again having very frequently stayed at the novotel leeds the rooms at york in comparison were just bland and boring. How does that happen in a chain where the fittings and oddments are fairly uniform across the brand??

It looks like the hotel has invested in new tv fittings etc, Good fittings in restaurant, but the rest of the furnishings (rooms, bar, corridors, foyer) look really quite tired.

Foyer and bar area is very poor. Furnishings are old and not very comfortable. This area desperately needs a makeover. There is a wii and an xbox and children/ families were using these. At leeds, these are partly enclosed off so parents can easily see/ watch their children but they dont get in anyone elses way. Here at york it is all an open plan area and I didnt think that was very good.

In the interests of balance, we though the restaurant / breakfast area was better at york and was well laid out. Breakfast items were good (would have been even better if there was marmite). Breakfast quality on Sunday morning (when the hotel was heaving) was very good and plentiful, but on the Monday (when it was almost dead) some basic items ran out / were missing (though I think were replenished later) and my husband almost broke his teeth on hard self exploding bacon.

There is a pool (which we didnt use). However we did notice regularly wet footprints in the lifts which came from the pool and saw at least one family use the lifts fresh from the pool area still in their dripping swimming costumes. I guess this isnt really the hotels fault.

All staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank truhar
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. New furnitures are currently being delivered to the hotel and we do hope to have all of them displayed in our new bar within the next week or so. I have also noted your comments for the room. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Novotel York.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Washington UK
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Warm friendly welcome upon arrival and the area beside the lifts have complimentary tea/coffee, biscuits, Juice and fruit. Nice when arriving after a long journey, even though ours was quite a short one!

Our room was just like the photographs on the hotels website, contemporary, clean, spacious.
Nice modern bathroom plus separate toilet. Double bed and an additional fold down double bed (room slept 4 people). Rooms are furnished with fridge (stocked with drinks and snacks but at a price, not free), built-in wardrobe, separate shelves, tea/coffee, Kettle, hairdryer, port to connect to computer (chargeable), wifi is not free in rooms but free in lobby i believe.

Good sized restaurant, ample items on the breakfast buffet, both hot and cold selection, worth the £7 each we paid when booking online (£14 if you pay on site) children are free with full paying adult.

Pool is small and pool area is sparce but clean, it has 2 changing rooms and pool towels but in a very small area.

Didn't frequent the bar but it looked well stocked and well placed in the large reception area which followed on through to the lounge and restaurant areas

Hotel is in close proximity of the central area and we can't really fault the place. We paid £74 per room per night plus £7 for each adult breakfast (via Trivago/Accor Hotels). The only moan we have is having to pay £7 for parking each 24hr period, so a weekend away cost you and additional £14 on the price of your stay.

You get what you pay for as far as we're concerned and we were very happy with the room and the superb service from the staff. It snowed the weekend we were there (3 - 5 Feb 2012) and the staff diligently went about their work - helping supplying garments for the snowman children had made at the hotel entrance, cleared now from guests cars and helped push cars out of the car park if stuck.

Great service, some nice touches would have no hesitation staying again in the future

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Davlyn1234
Good morning. Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted you found our staff to be helpful especially following the snowfall. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back when it is sunny and warm!

Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have never felt compelled to write a review before but this hotel and staff deserve praise. We booked an executive suite which was the same price as the Travelodge down the road and having now stayed in both hotels, this one is far superior. We arrived early and got a parking space which really made the whole stay hassle free from the start. Our room was ready for us despite our early arrival and the reception staff were very welcoming. The room was lovely - spacious with a modern, spotless bathroom with a bath and separate shower. The room had a river view and was very quiet. Having stayed in numerous more expensive hotels, I can honestly say that I cannot fault this one and came away feeling that my expectations had been exceeded which very rarely happens!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank katsheff
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Good morning. Thank you for your comments. It is a pleasure to read you had a good stay. we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

york
Reviewed 29 January 2012

nice location close to city centre but not too close to be affected by the noise. rooms are big easily would fit a family without feeling cramped in.

we had stayed as a last minute thing room cost £90 for a double. only downside was told no room service after 8pm.

nice clean hotel nice stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaimie b
Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback. I am glad you had a good time and will investigate your comments with regards to room service offerings as we do provide food around the clock. Thank you once again.

England
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My train home was delayed nearly four hours so I was standed in York for the night, so full marks to Novotel for coming up with a last-minute room at a reasonable rate when all the other hotels in York didn't want to know. Apparently one of their managers had herself had similar train-related hassles recently so she was extremely sympathetic.
When I finally rolled up just before midnight the night manager was very courteous and helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable - just what I needed as I was feeling very stressed!
I cannot comment on the hotel's other facilities as I didn't use them, but I'd be very happy to stay here again, hopefully under happier circumstances.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Phil of England
Good morning. I am glad to read you had a good time despite the rather frustrating reason for your stay. I hope, as you say, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back under better circumstances.