Novotel York Centre
Holiday Inn York City Centre(York)(Great Value!)
US$90
HolidayInn.com
  • Restaurant
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
US$124
  • Pool
US$125
US$100
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$118
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
US$96
  • Room Service
US$132
US$122
2,654 results
All reviewsswimming poolx boxseparate toiletsofa bedexecutive roomcar parkhalf termreception areagood sizeper dayreception staffoverlooking the rivercoffee machinecastle museumclifford's toweryork centrefamily room
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The Novotel is a 10/15 minute walk from the city centre.
The rooms are spacious and clean.
Room had a separate toilet/bath and shower, but the separate toilet had no wash hand basin.
Both mornings we had to wait 20-30 minutes for our breakfast due to lack of tables. When we were eventually summoned to the restaurant we found that there was a large number of uncleared tables that could have been used to accommodate the waiting guests. The restaurant seemed to be understaffed to cope with the numbers of guests.
Thank goodness we weren't in a hurry.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Good morning. Thank you very much for your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read you had to wait to be seated on both occasions you had breakfast with us and have noted your comments. We do hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We have just spent a pleasant few days at the Novotel York Centre. We have stayed here on a few previous occassions and always enjoyed our time. This time we had a superior room complete with large and comfortable queen sized bed which overlooked the car park. It was clean and quiet, with tea and coffee facilities. We made use of the pool each morning prior to the excellent breakfast which really gives you an appitite. The pool area has been refurbished since we last visited including a walk in shower. This is a lovely place for both adults and children to spend a bit of time. The breakfast is simply superb, a very extensive choice of good quality products from build your own English, through fruits, cheeses, juices etc etc and limitless coffee or choice of teas. Far too tempting. The walk from the rear of the hotel, along the river into York takes about 10 minutes at a gentle stroll and brings you out alongside the Kings Arms, a Sam Smiths pub, my favourite pub in York, and there are plenty to choose from. If I have a complaint of the hotel, it would be that the reception, bar, games area is uninviting, I preferred it when it was not open plan. I do think that there would be more people drinking in the hotel in the evenings if prices were lower, I suppose that they are competitive with similar hotels but could be missing a trick here. As others have stated, the car parking is an extra charge at £8.50 a night, not too bad, but it used to be free. I have no problem with the charge, at least I knew my car was nice and safe. The staff are attentive, especially the restaurant staff in the mornings who could not do enough for us. Check in and out was quick and easy. Highly recommended and very well situated, please try the walk along the river into York, it makes a special start and end to an evening.

Room Tip: Room 119 is good, don't be put off by overlooking the car park, I am a light sleeper and it didn't bother me at all.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew B

Good morning and thank you for your in depth feedback. I am very pleased to read you had another good stay with us and will certainly share your comments with the teams especially the restaurant one. I am looking forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 29 August 2012

Great family hotel, kids loved Xbox and wii in lobby, service excellent rooms were fab, great overall stay, 5 min walk along river to centre
We visited York maze which was an excellent day out for the kids, you need good weather though! Bella Italia restaurant in the centre if York was a lovely restaurant with excellent food and service

• Stayed: August 2012

Good morning and thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to read you and the family had a good time in York. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Clean, friendly staff and catered for the party animals. Very kind French guy behind the bar.
Sadly, I had £300 taken from account instead of £120 for the room rate. I would stay again if I could get a good deal. Beds very comfy and it as blue for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Good morning and thank you for taking the time to write a comment following your recent stay with us. I am very happy to read you would consider us for another stay.

Wishing you a very good end to the summer.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I loved this hotel. Its really moden and well equipped with probably the best provisions for families/children that I have seen yet - play area and games consoles in the lobby so its possible to have a really relaxed drink from the bar there which, as most parents know, is worth its weight in gold :) We went in the summer holidays so there were a lot of families around, granted this doesn't make for the most peaceful of breaks for non-families but the hotel manages to retain its air of sophisticated and modern style somehow anyway.
There is a pool which is clean and adequate, quiet during our stay. The facilities are otherwise basic but, again, adequate.
Breakfast was fine/good. We didn't have any other meals so can't comment.
The room was really nice, again very modern, well equipped enough. We had an executive family room: Bath and seperate shower cubicle, and toilet in seperate room, TV with wi-fi access (extra charge) and Ipod Dock, stocked fridge (extra charge), kettle and Nespresso machine.
We had some minor problems with the cot we'd ordered not being in the room but this was quickly rectified. Our request for blankets for the sofa bed came with a 30 minute wait and we had to call back and remind them (the blankets included are hidden inside and as we decided to let our daughter just sleep on the sofa rather than pull it out - she's only 6 and there was little enough space in the room as it was with the extra cot for our youngest - I wonder if they just deliberately ignored our request, thinking we would eventually pull it out and discover the blankets for ourselves?)
The staff were disappointing on other occassions - I wanted to know the depth of the pool before going to the hassle of getting myself and the two kids changed only to find it was too deep for them - but the lady I asked didn't know and sent me in the pool room to check for myself. Considering I then had to go to another member of staff to let me in, just to look at the number painted on the side, I wonder if the first member couldn't maybe have said "You know, I don't know how deep the pool is, just give me a minute and I'll check for you" rather than sending me on my way to find out for myself with two young kids in tow. In another instance I asked if there was a certain kind of shop locally and nobody had any idea. The girl who checked us in was a trainee and made a massive hash of things. But all were friendly enough, I'm probably just being picky :$
It was also quite disappointing to find the hotel a little bit set away from the centre of the city and more sort of hidden in a little housing estate. Although, in all fairness, it was no more than a five-ten minute walk right into the city so not too much cause for complaint there.
Overall, a nice stay in a nice hotel which was especially well placed for our young family. Would definitely stay again :)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Good morning and thank you very much for your detailed review. I am delighted to read you had an enjoyable time and have taken note of your comments with regards to our service. We will certainly go through your feedback and take the necessary steps to avoid any reoccurence in the future.

Thank you once again.