“Nice hotel and great stay.”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel and great stay.”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Stayed at the weekend for 2 nights just bb and the check in was ok and very helpful it was 5 mins from everythink in york so ideal.The hotel was nice and clean reception there was a wii and xbox to keep the kids happy and the pool was ok as well breakfast was great buffet stlye so eat what you want a good selection of breads to pastrys and cooked breakfast was very good a wide selection of juice's as well.Did have trouble second night room next to us came in at 430 am and woke most peolpe up but can't blame hotel for some guest they were told by the night porter 3 times to be quite in the end it worked night porter and reception staff were very helpful in dealing with it in morning as they gave a refund on the parking which was 20 pounds for 2 days didnt mind paying it because the car was very safe over night but as i said taken off the bill so thankyou for a nice stay will come again plus so will the family as well joined the accour club as well so look out for benifits from hotel chain.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dg1186337
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Good morning. Many thanks for your kind email. I have shared it with the whole team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in one of our hotels around the world and enjoy the benefits of your new loyalty card!

Christophe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2013

stay at the hotel at the weekend the room was ok and was in walking distance from the city centre we stayed 2 nights bed and breakfast the breakfast buffet was good on both days a lot of selection from yogurts to pastry's and a hot cooked breakfast.The room was ok and we used the pool which was nice there were a xbox and wii in reception for the kids which they enjoyed the hotel was good and staff were great .The only problem which was not the hotels fault which was dealt with straight away with the night porter the room next door was noisy at 430 am in morning but night porter sorted it out after seveal times of telling them next day we mentioned it to the receptionist and she refunded us hotel parking which was £20 pounds for 2 days which i was happy with would return and soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for taking the time to write a comment. I am very pleased you had a good time whilst staying with us and hope to welcome you again in the future. Finally, I would like to apologise for the trouble caused by guests staying in the same corridor.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I was wanting a nice hotel for a night in York, but not one that would break the bank. Having checked lots of sites, this hotel seemed the best option, with the hotel having a pool and also their superior queen room on special offer.

Upon arrival it seemed nice. Check in was quick, but there was no mention of use of hotel facilities, or the pool. We were given the key to our room, which we found easily enough. The room itself was ok, if not a little strange. The decor needed updating, having woodchip wall covering, however the bathroom and most of the furniture seemed to have been updated. Seemed like they had stopped the modernisation half way through. I wouldnt have called this a superior room, I have stayed in better budget hotels. This would not have put me off going back, I just would have lowered my expectations next time. However, our room had a door leading to an adjoining room. I did not see this as a problem until 1am when our neighbours returned. I was woken by what I thought were other guests in our room. It turned out that the door was so thin, I could hear every word they said (although I will admit they were not quiet), as well as them going to the toilet, and brushing their teeth. And I was treated to the same in the morning. If I did chose this hotel again,and I don't think I would, I would have to make sure I did not gave an adjoining room again. It was the worst night sleep I have had in a long time.
I still have no idea where the pool is, as after my interrupted sleep, I couldnt be bothered to find out and use it!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank shellpilly
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Good morning and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry yuor sleep was disturbed by the guests next door and can only assume they did open the other door which was on their side of the room. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

North East
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed here New Years eve, lots of the guests seemed to have children with them but there ws a really nice mix of people.
First impressions really nice, really easy access from road but just nicely away from road etc. Really efficient, friendly and knowledgeable checkin and checkout.
Parking was excellent, secure and easy access despite having to pay £8.50 pr day.
Our room overlooked the very flooded river it was quiet, soundproffed, well appointed, clean and comfy. We had a Nespresso machine in the rom and a fab little mini bar which we didnt realise was complimentary on our room rate which we missed out but never mind the room was modern with both bath and shower i was really pleased with the facilities.
We had one drink in the hotel bar at 330pm the barman was miserable and unhelpful and drinks were extortion, we had half a lager and lime and a nice glass of wine which was pennies short of £10!!! Needless to say we didnt have any more to drink in the bar, i would like to point out this was really my only negative and i would actually stay there again we do plan to back for next New Yr eve.
We had a really great day in the town and went back out for a couple of hours in the evening it was friendly everyone was in good spirits i loved the atmosphere we visited some fab bars thanks to the forum peeps on here and there recommendations. The hotel is a pleasent 5-10min walk from the town centre.
This is not a five star plush hotel but it is a friendly, clean, modern hotel with easy access very friendly, excellent facilities for families they have xbox etc in a great area in reception for kids of all ages. ~It has a lovely indoor pool, not huge but more that ample, It is a hotel i will definitely return to.

Room Tip: River view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lafybug
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 5 January 2013
Good morning and happy New Year! Thank you for giving us some valuable feedback. I am really pleased to read you would come back to visit us again and have noted your comments with regards to the barman. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back next New Year's Eve.

Huddersfield
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed here for three nights between Christmas and New Year. The hotel is in a great location, five minutes walk from York city centre. It has onsite parking, which is great for a city hotel, and a swimming pool. The rooms were adequate in size and cleanliness. The beds were comfortable. The only let down was the cleanliness of the crockery, I picked approx 8 dirty plates before I could find a clean one at the buffet breakfast. The food was ok but I couldn't help wondering what the kitchens were like so we didn't have any other meals in the hotel. The cups and glasses in the room were also dirty. And they were definately the same cups and glasses throughout our break. I can only assume housekeeping were just rinsing them in the bathroom. I can only hope they change them after each guest's stay!!!! Its a shame cos that let the hotel down. Having said that I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel faces the river so the views are better. We stayed at the front over the rece...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am pleased to read you would consider us for your next stay and have shared your concerns with regards to the cleanliness of the crockery with our kitchen and housekeeping teams. I can assure you this will not happen again. I hope to see you again soon!