“Decent hotel with friendly staff”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Decent hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just returned from a few night stay, as others have said check in very quick and all staff very friendly, swimming pool is tiny so not for serious swimmers and full of children during our stay due to being half term so didn't bother to use it, bar area is nice but again due to half term resembled more of a youth club at times due to kids running round and playing on video games and other toys supplied by hotel, that said breakfast was decent and all staff very friendly and helpful, short walk into town from hotel so no need for taxis, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again but if your looking for a quiet break maybe avoid the school holidays

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Honestdb
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Good morning. A quick thank you for your comments. I am pleased to read you had a good stay. As you mentioned the hotel does get very busy with children during the half term holidays but we are now back to normal! I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the end of the year and hope we will be seeing you again in the near future.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed 2 days. 29th -31st October 13. lots of children but it was half term. Breakfast were really good, lots of variety....all fruits, dried fruits, yogurts,breads etc..plus full english. would stay again. very close to city.

2 Thank andreabob_13
Good evening. Thank you somuch for your comments following your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with the breakfast team as I know they will be pleased to read you enjoyed your meal. I hope we will be seeing you again soon.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here for a night with my two daughters. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, and location. The bedroom was a decent size and much in line with over Novotel hotels I have stayed in before.
The pool was great for a morning swim, and breakfast was varied and plentiful. The staff were pleasant and helpful
On a negative side I did feel the reception area let the hotel down, first impressions count and it appeared quite scruffy. I would however return as it suited our needs

3 Thank LindaThomas45
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read you found the hotel suitable for your visit to the beautiful city of York. I have also taken note of your comments with regards to the reception area and will take the necessary steps to improve the first impressions. We are expecting a delivery of brand new plants which should contribute to the atmosphere and a full repainting programme will start as soon as the school holidays are over. I would like to thank you once again for your valuable feedback and hope we will see you again in York.

Westhoughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here for 4 nights for our honeymoon. Before arriving I had emailed the hotel to arrange for a bottle of champagne to be in the room for when we arrived and the hotel had chocolates and strawberries for us which was a lovely surprise!!

Our room was very clean and had a nice view of the river. We thought it was a good idea that the shower and toilet are separate although the sink did smell when we ran the tap. The tiles in the shower could have done with a better clean as there were pink water stains in the grouting.

The hotel is perfect for visiting york's many attractions and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants near by. We had dinner at the hotel twice which we really enjoyed but didn't have breakfast but there is a local Wetherspoons 2 minutes away.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Pool area was very nice and clean. We will definitely return when we next visit York.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Good morning. First I would like to personally congratulate you and wish you plenty of happiness! I am delighted you enjoyed the little surprise in your room and have conveyed your review to all the staff. I have also organised for a check in the room you stayed in with regards to the grout as a matter of urgency. Thank you once again.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Located not far from the city centre and pleasant enough but not a 4* experience. Staff welcoming and room basic but comfortable, the 'open plan' lounge / bar / reception area was rather busy and a strong smell of frying food permeated throughout the area putting us off eating in the restaurant. On both days that we were there we queued for at least 15 minutes to get in to breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Andrea W
Good morning. Many thanks for your review following your recent stay. I would like to apologise for the delays you might have experienced at breakfast as the hotel was extremely busy over the holiday season. We will have a review of our current signage system which indicates when we do expect to be very busy so that it can be more visible. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to one of our Novotels. Wishing you all the best for the fast approaching end of the year.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Arrived 12.00pm Friday afternoon for a one night stop over and parked up whilst we visited York and our activities. Staff upon arrival were very helpful. After York and tea we returned to unpack and visit the pool. Everything was as per expectations with again staff very helpful. Evening time was very entertaining for the children (9 and 6) as they had access to Wii and Xbox and computers. Other children staying at the hotel all mixed and played well and unhindered. Bar is separate to the electronic games so no problems there. Adult relaxation time near the bar was not a problem for Granddad and Nan. Evening staff were absolutely brilliant with everyone and again very helpful and relaxed. Room was a bit hot at night hence the 4 not 5 rating. Window could not be opened as there would of been a draught on children.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Good morning. Thank you very much for your comments. I have shared them with our team this morning. I am obviously very pleased to read you and your family had a good stay and hope you made the most of your visit to York. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Just returned from a short stay in York. We were booked into Novotel for 2 nights.
On arrival Reception Staff very friendly, no probs there!
The overall appearance of the reception was that it needed a good hoover.
The room - Well - where to begin, filthy worn out carpet, coming away at the walls.
WC in a room of its own, no basin, long dark hairs on the floor, smelly. Although we did ask for it to be recleaned, and this was done. (Reminded me of a public toilet).
Coffee machine did not work, net curtain coming down. Pebble-dashed walls. Room needed a good paint.
Crushed biscuits - I know - not such a problem, but when you pay for an 'Executive Room' you don't expect a 'prison cell'.
12th hotel we have stayed in this year and the worse!! Room not hoovered the following day, nor the beds made properly.
Breakfast involved a long queue through reception. We went elsewhere - due to pre-booked activities we did not have time to wait.
Couldn't bear another night so we checked out and moved to Hotel 53 - Relief!

Room Tip: Try a different hotel