“Top Hotel Excellent Location”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Just returned after a nights stay in the gorgeous city of York. Situated within minutes of the riverside and Cliffords Tower this was an excellent location. We were with my young son and the hotel was very child friendly. he loved the pool (not really for a serious swimmers when there are children around) and there was a WII and toys in the foyer. The staff were excellent, one in particular was lovely and attentive, and brought out a 3d dinosaur jigsaw for my son to build and paint to keep him entertained during meal time - i can't remember his name but he looked like one of the guys from ABBA (and i mean that in a nice way),m the food was lovely. my son (almost 5) did the make your own pizza, where he got to well.. make his own pizza, he got a chefs hat and everything, he loved doing that. I would definately stay in this hotel again. thank you for your hospitality.

2  Thank sarahlouuk
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Good morning. I wanted to thank you for your kind comments. I am very pleased to read you had a good stay and that your son enjoyed the pizza station. I have passed on your comments to Aurelio and he was delighted he could make a difference to your stay too. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

A very good hotel in every way - except, maybe the exorbitant parking charge of £10 for an overnight stay! Hotel is very convenient for all the major attractions in York and the swimmimg pool is a bonus.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Janet K

Good afternoon. Many thanks for your review. I am delighted to read you had a good break over the half term period and hope we will see you again in the future. I am sorry to read you found the car park charges expensive even though they do provide an excellent value for money for the centre of York. Guests are also welcome to leave their car in our car park on the day of departure so that they do not have to pay another fee in the city centre. I hope this will however not deter you from using us again. Thank you once more for your review.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our room, for 3 people, was really small. We had 2 roll out/sofa converting beds, that were a nightmare, to say the least. Very uncomfortable, and worn. Aside from that, the room was very clean, and the staff was very courteous. We had dinner, and breakfast there, and all the food was tasty, and the selections were good. Easy enough access, to the center of town, though if you have trouble walking, it maybe to far for you. Aside form the beds, it was not bad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Good morning and thank you for your feedback. I hope you had a safe journey back home and made the most of your visit to York. I have taken your comments on board with regards to the pull out beds. Please rest assured we will look into the matter. I am also pleased to read you found the rest of the hotel to your satisfaction. Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just returned from a few night stay, as others have said check in very quick and all staff very friendly, swimming pool is tiny so not for serious swimmers and full of children during our stay due to being half term so didn't bother to use it, bar area is nice but again due to half term resembled more of a youth club at times due to kids running round and playing on video games and other toys supplied by hotel, that said breakfast was decent and all staff very friendly and helpful, short walk into town from hotel so no need for taxis, I would recommend this hotel and I would stay here again but if your looking for a quiet break maybe avoid the school holidays

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Honestdb

Good morning. A quick thank you for your comments. I am pleased to read you had a good stay. As you mentioned the hotel does get very busy with children during the half term holidays but we are now back to normal! I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the end of the year and hope we will be seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed 2 days. 29th -31st October 13. lots of children but it was half term. Breakfast were really good, lots of variety....all fruits, dried fruits, yogurts,breads etc..plus full english. would stay again. very close to city.

2  Thank andreabob_13

Good evening. Thank you somuch for your comments following your recent stay with us. I have shared your comments with the breakfast team as I know they will be pleased to read you enjoyed your meal. I hope we will be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here for a night with my two daughters. Overall I was pleased with the hotel, and location. The bedroom was a decent size and much in line with over Novotel hotels I have stayed in before.
The pool was great for a morning swim, and breakfast was varied and plentiful. The staff were pleasant and helpful
On a negative side I did feel the reception area let the hotel down, first impressions count and it appeared quite scruffy. I would however return as it suited our needs

3  Thank LindaThomas45
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Good morning and thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read you found the hotel suitable for your visit to the beautiful city of York. I have also taken note of your comments with regards to the reception area and will take the necessary steps to improve the first impressions. We are expecting a delivery of brand new plants which should contribute to the atmosphere and a full repainting programme will start as soon as the school holidays are over. I would like to thank you once again for your valuable feedback and hope we will see you again in York.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here for 4 nights for our honeymoon. Before arriving I had emailed the hotel to arrange for a bottle of champagne to be in the room for when we arrived and the hotel had chocolates and strawberries for us which was a lovely surprise!!

Our room was very clean and had a nice view of the river. We thought it was a good idea that the shower and toilet are separate although the sink did smell when we ran the tap. The tiles in the shower could have done with a better clean as there were pink water stains in the grouting.

The hotel is perfect for visiting york's many attractions and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants near by. We had dinner at the hotel twice which we really enjoyed but didn't have breakfast but there is a local Wetherspoons 2 minutes away.

The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. Pool area was very nice and clean. We will definitely return when we next visit York.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Good morning. First I would like to personally congratulate you and wish you plenty of happiness! I am delighted you enjoyed the little surprise in your room and have conveyed your review to all the staff. I have also organised for a check in the room you stayed in with regards to the grout as a matter of urgency. Thank you once again.