“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two days in November. Overall we were disappointed, considering it is supposed to be 4 star. The only real positive is the location which offers a pleasant riverside walk into the City. The main problem was the toilet. Similar to other Novotels the toilet is separate to the bathroom and has no hand basin. This is inconvenient. It also didn't flush properly which is unhygienic. The breakfasts are Ok but the hot food isn't kept topped up and some of the food was actually cold on the second morning. The final point was that the bottled water in the room is £2.50 a bottle .. this is ridiculous. We assumed it was complimentary but were told at check out that there was a sign. We never saw a sign ... If we had we wouldn't have used the water! The receptionist we interacted with was quite unfriendly. Wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davidborthwick
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Good morning and thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read your experience did not meet your expectations and have shared your concerns with the team so that we can take the appropriate steps to further improve. Whilst it is difficult for us to amend the layout of the rooms, we are taking steps with our design teams to tackle the issue of the separate toilets especially in the new build hotels and are looking at alternatives in the existing ones. With regards to the labels for the water in the mini-bar, I have asked for a check to be made in all rooms to ensure the stickers are well displayed and visible to our customers. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

A good breakfast was included in the price, I was a bit taken aback to have to pay £10.00 for overnight parking for less than 12 hours but i guess it's conveniently located to York centre. Room was average but comfortable enough for an overnight stay. The swimming pool looked very small. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Good morning and many thanks for your comments. Reviews from our customers are always a great source of information to ensure we do keep improving on our service delivery. I hope we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to one of our hotels in the future. I would also like to wish you all the best for the end of the year.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed for one night, booked online with ease and got a very good priced deal. The welcome at the front desk is excellent - very friendly and genuine. The staff are very willing to help and give information about the local area. The lobby area is spacious and right next to the on site car park, which is a bonus. £10 for 24 hours parking, which was fine for a one night stay, but could add up quite considerably if your stay was extended. Location is great, especially for The Barbican, which is just around the corner. It is also a very easy and pleasant 10-15 minutes walk right into the centre of York.
The room itself was spacious, clean and comfortable, with an excellent bathroom with a separate large shower. Toiletries were lovely and of a high quality. Free mineral water and good quality tea and coffee were available. A lot of these good points were because I had been upgraded to an executive room, although I wasn't told this at check in, which seems a bit odd as it would have immediately made me feel good about my stay and made me feel valued as a customer.
The problems began when I tried to use the room facilities.
It is advertised as having free wi-fi. You have to sign into it using your email address. However when I tried to do this it said my email address was invalid, despite being the one I had used to book the hotel and communicate with the management with. Strangely enough though, I was repeatedly prompted to purchase their broadband package for £9.99, which I declined to do. As I was only in the hotel one night I used my mobile phone 3G network instead.
I tried to use my iPod to play music by using their MP3 cable which is supposed to allow you to play music through the TV. This didn't work at all, but yet again, I was being prompted to buy their broadband/tv/radio package for £9.99. The iPod docking station was also not usable as it was for the old style iPod.
I decided to order room service, but when I phoned my order I was told the food I'd requested wasn't available. The menu left in my room wasn't the room service menu, and I was given the choice of curry or panini over the phone. I ordered a vastly over priced curry, which took ages to come and was luke warm by the time it arrived.
In the morning I decided to listen to radio 4, but amazingly enough this was not available as a free radio channel on the TV! The only free radio channels are 1, 2 and 5 Live. Anything else you have to pay the £9.99 for the broadband/tv/radio package. This is really unacceptable. £9.99 to listen to radio 4, one of the most listened to morning radio shows in the UK?
I tried to look at my bill on the TV screen under the Guest Services option but again, that didn't work and brought up an error message on the screen. Maybe you have to pay £9.99 for the privilege of looking at your bill on the TV?
These niggly points with the in room services really let this hotel down. If you're not bothered about making use of any of these services then I'd say go ahead and book, as it's a great hotel, comfortable, convenient for York and the breakfast was fine.
But to not receive services you've been told are available, and to have other basic services restricted unless you pay extra, is just not really good customer service.
I did put all these points forward on the hotel feedback form I received by email, but none of them were addressed. However I got a reply to my email thanking me for my kind comments about the staff and telling me they'd been passed on to the team.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Good morning and thank you so much for your in depth review. I now had a chance to review your comments and would like to apologise for the issues you may have had with your television system. Our free WIFI is completeley separate from out tvs and tests have been made to check it is working. There are some packages on our entertainment systems which guests can purchase giving them access to a wide selection of blockbusters movies, children movies and juke box. A selection of channels is however available free of charge as well as the radio channels you mentioned in your comments. Radio 4 is not available on our listings and can't be purchased. We are currently trying to add this radio channel to our line up. For the time being we do have a portable radio at reception. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to fully investigate and share your views with the team.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We booked a superior double for two nights and once checked into our room realised it was everything but superior. An entire wall fronted by curtains suggested a large window, but turned out to be a pokey little window and the rest, brick wall. Stains on the carpet and horrible 60's decor. We weren't happy and complained, apparently nothing could be done even though they were clearly full and could sell the room again, and we haven't touched anything. We were far from home so decided to make the best of it and stay for the night. We put our personal laptop and work phone in the safe and activated it, and then the drama started! Realising we needed the laptop before going out we tried to open the safe. Nothing worked. We reported a problem with the safe and that there are valuables in there. The manager on duty assured us a technician will come and look at it while we went out for dinner. Came back. Safe completely removed from the wall. No sign if our laptop or phone. 10 minutes later the receptionist arrives at the door with our laptop and phone and without a word walks away. I suddenly discover the phone is completely broken, screen cracked and the laptop has metal residue on it and serious scratching marks all over it. Obviously they have allowed someone to take and angle grinder to the safe without our permission and damaged our personal goods and weren't even prepared to say a word about it when handing it over to us. That was 5 months ago! And after numerous emails and LOTS of frustration we have not had anything from them, not a sorry or an insurance estimate. Nothing! Extremely unprofessional and a complete disregard for any persons personal belongings. Shocking! Absolutely shocking!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank goldfish03
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Good afternoon. I am rather surprised to read your comments and will investigate further with our insurance company. I am in possession of a few emails and have spoken to you personally about the incident. I thought my apologies were very clear but would not hesitate to make them again for some of the incidents you originally reported to me. As I do have your contact details, I will come back to you directly. Wishing you all the best for the festive season in your own hotel.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Have stayed at the Novotel york on a number of occasions as a business traveller and have to say have never been disappionted for the following reasons.

Great location, no more than a 10 minute walk to the centre of York. Hotel also benefits by having an onsite car park which for a historic city such as York parking can be a nightmare. Hotel also has complimentary Wifi which in my world is a major plus point, particuarly as it is very straightforward to get connected and against some of other hotel chains which still charge for Wifi.

Rooms are very spacious and comfortable for the majority of Accor hotels I have stayed in, welcome at reception is very helpful and freindly, and breakfast buffet is also very adequate. Overall a great experience and this has become my hotel of choice when visiting North Yorkshire, and would have no histation in recommending to others planning a visit to this great corner of York.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Biriyaniboy B
Good afternoon. hank you very much for your kind review and for your repeat custom. I am delighetd to read you would not hesitate to recommend us and hope we can meet next time you are staying with us. Please feel free to contact me on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com. If we do not see you before the end of the year, I would like to wish you all the best for the festive season.